DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Muppet Family Christmas (complete with original broadcast commercials as one can find on YouTube) > Muppet Christmas Carol

Blasphemy.

(Although it is really good)

I thought El Camino was good,  not great. It works perfectly as a Breaking Bad companion piece and that's all it needed to be.  I was hoping for something more but it's unfair because I shouldn't have had such lofty expectations.  It was a really fun and at times disturbing two hours. There are a couple GREAT scenes in here so if you are any kind of Breaking Bad fan (and I was a huge fan of the series and of Better Call Saul) then it's well worth the watch. 

• Like 1

I took my kid to see "My Name Is Dolemite" on Friday (best dad? worst dad? Keep your labels: she loves cursing) Not being facetious, but it is the feel good movie of the year that uses the word motherf*cker every 40 seconds. Very well made and fun, and as usual my man Wesley Snipes steals the show. Highly recommended.

- RAF

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Last Boy Scout is still one of the best movies ever made. 

Danielle Harris ftw.

And that opening at the football game is still one of the most surreal things I've ever seen in a movie.

• Like 1

El Camino was about 45 minutes too long but a great send-off and epilogue to the series.

I saw Ad Astra at the cinema this weekend and really enjoyed it. It felt very book-ish so I was surprised to see that it wasn't an adaptation, it was a meditative character study that brought to mind Apocalypse Now to me in the sense of a quest leading to a slow decent into an awakening.  

Also, the film stars Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland... who both played astronauts in Space Cowboys... so I was a bit gutted to see they didn't play the same characters haha.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

How do you think you’d fare in a fight against an angry space baboon @Elsalvajeloco?

I would try to throw salt in its face like Mr. Fuji as a distraction tactic. Otherwise, pray I didn't encounter it first so it was already busy gnawing on the face of someone else. That would allow for ample escape time. Fighting is a last resort whether it's a human being or just happens to be a pissed off, tormented, possibly chemically enhanced and strengthened space baboon that decided it didn't want to be a test subject anymore.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would try to throw salt in its face like Mr. Fuji as a distraction tactic.

I was dangerously close to beating the shit out of a co-worker until this gem made me laugh and improved my mood.

You may have saved a life today, man.   Definitely saved my job, dude.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would try to throw salt in its face like Mr. Fuji as a distraction tactic. Otherwise, pray I didn't encounter it first so it was already busy gnawing on the face of someone else. That would allow for ample escape time. Fighting is a last resort whether it's a human being or just happens to be a pissed off, tormented, possibly chemically enhanced and  strengthened space baboon that decided it didn't want to be a test subject anymore.

Thanks for giving me a needed chuckle.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was dangerously close to beating the shit out of a co-worker until this gem made me laugh and improved my mood.

You may have saved a life today, man.   Definitely saved my job, dude.

Have to admit this did but then I stopped realising the situation. Hope things have picked up for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would try to throw salt in its face like Mr. Fuji as a distraction tactic. Otherwise, pray I didn't encounter it first so it was already busy gnawing on the face of someone else. That would allow for ample escape time. Fighting is a last resort whether it's a human being or just happens to be a pissed off, tormented, possibly chemically enhanced and strengthened space baboon that decided it didn't want to be a test subject anymore.

This is sounding dangerously close to infringing on @piranesi's planned film

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took my daughter to a Halloween party at a local town square earlier today. She got plenty of candy, and I saw, once again, that our local theaters have a few films that no one has heard of. The bad news … the theaters promoted that a screen would show the new CM Punk film this weekend, but that wasn't the case. However, we are getting ...

THE GALLOWS ACT 2

The sequel nobody asked for from a film people barely remember.

TRICK

Omar Epps … was behind on his car payments.

• Haha 2

On 10/13/2019 at 6:38 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I took my kid to see "My Name Is Dolemite" on Friday (best dad? worst dad? Keep your labels: she loves cursing) Not being facetious, but it is the feel good movie of the year that uses the word motherf*cker every 40 seconds. Very well made and fun, and as usual my man Wesley Snipes steals the show. Highly recommended.

- RAF

Eddie is great in the lead doing Eddie doing Rudy, but man does Wesley pull off an uncanny D'Urville Martin impersonation...

• Like 1

Saw Zombieland 2 this afternoon. It was really funny. Hopefully if they make a third one, it won't take a full decade to come out.

22 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Reluctantly showed 2yo Frozen this afternoon.

"Movie stupid. Powerpuff Girls".

Think I've saved a fourfigure sum on her not being into this.

At what age do you think I can get away with a screening of Gremlins?

You've saved two years, friend.

• Like 1