DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 10/25/2019 at 7:06 PM, colonial said:

.THE GALLOWS ACT 2

The sequel nobody asked for from a film people barely remember.

Gallows was a good premise ruined by horrible execution and yeah I don't remember wanting a sequel to that shit.

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Saw Jo Jo Rabbit (your fuhrer is calling) today. Pretty decent. The kid was really good, as were Sam Rockwell and Scarlett.

At times it felt like it was a Wes Anderson tribute film. (Not a bad thing)

I think you nailed it. Didn't think about it at all really, but damn. 

Take in mind I still haven't seen it (multiple reviews and trailers though). Some films however, it feels like you just can get pretty dead to rights on with a description.

Edited by Curt McGirt

The use of foreign language classic rock (especially Bowie) is so Wes Anderson. 

forgot to mention, Merchant was great in what was basically a cameo. Allie Allen and Rebel Wilson were also good. the young woman was also good, did not know her as I did not see the movie she was in last year and was just a kid in one of the hobbit movies.

Edited by odessasteps

Back to Central Florida, back to seeing what's showing in my local theatres and likely ONLY my local theatres ...

ACCELERATION

Lundgren, Flanery, Trejo, Liddell -- sleepwalk through their lines in a film that saved money primarily by avoiding traditional lighting of all kinds.

PRIMAL

Nicolas Cage in "Snakes on a Plane" if the plane was a cargo ship and the snakes were a menagerie of wild animals.

BADLAND

First time I've ever seen a trailer emphasize a Grammy nominee in its cast in a film that doesn't appear to have any musical numbers whatsoever. 

Saw The Lighthouse today.  Holy fucking shit.

This won't get an Oscar nod.  It will get several.  Pattinson or Dafoe (or both, if Dafoe is fine being shunted into Supporting) would be worthy winners in their own right, but the thing that really sets up the whole film as well as anything else is the score and sound design.  Probably the most on-edge I've been from a score since I saw There Will Be Blood in theaters (which somehow wasn't nominated for Best Score that year).  It's to the point that the soundtrack is effectively a third character in the film.

Everything is crazy; nothing holds up to scrutiny; everything could be supernatural or ominous, or it could be sheer madness.  Less than 2 hours, but it throws so much at you that it feels so much longer, longer in the sense of understanding how easy it would be to lose your grip on sanity and never come back.  I really dug the crap out of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote when I saw that in April; this was probably better.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 1:50 AM, Contentious C said:

Probably the most on-edge I've been from a score since I saw There Will Be Blood

Last time I had that feeling was Dunkirk. My god the score near had me biting my knuckles the whole way through the film.

I do want to see the Lighthouse but will probably wait til it's streaming, didn't strike me as a cinema film.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, Contentious C said:

This won't get an Oscar nod.  It will get several.  Pattinson or Dafoe (or both, if Dafoe is fine being shunted into Supporting) would be worthy winners in their own right, but the thing that really sets up the whole film as well as anything else is the score and sound design.  Probably the most on-edge I've been from a score since I saw There Will Be Blood in theaters (which somehow wasn't nominated for Best Score that year).  It's to the point that the soundtrack is effectively a third character in the film.

Everything is crazy; nothing holds up to scrutiny; everything could be supernatural or ominous, or it could be sheer madness.  Less than 2 hours, but it throws so much at you that it feels so much longer, longer in the sense of understanding how easy it would be to lose your grip on sanity and never come back.  I really dug the crap out of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote when I saw that in April; this was probably better.

19 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Last time I had that feeling was Dunkirk. My god the score near had me biting my knuckles the whole way through the film.

I do want to see the Lighthouse but will probably wait til it's streaming, didn't strike me as a cinema film.

For me it's Sicario. Especially during the highway scene. Holy shit.

I later watched a video about how the brooding theme from Jaws was the inspiration for the score for Sicario, which gives you a similar sense of dread. 

RIP Jóhann Jóhannsson

• Like 1

The Lighthouse is absolutely a movie that needs to be seen in the cinema.. I loved it. Some of the images, particularly of Willem Dafoe's face need to be seen blown up on a giant fucking screen.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 1:50 AM, Contentious C said:

20 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

For me, Joker.

EPIX Free Preview has been going on since the first of the month and it will last until the 21st.

Thanks to the preview, I finally got to watch A Simple Favor with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively.   A tidy little mystery and soooo wonderfully sleazy.

And as if I didn't love Anna Kendrick enough....

I think I will try to check out Bumblebee when I get home from night duty, provided that I don't pass out as soon as I get to the crib.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

A Simple Favor was really good. Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively are so damn good, especially Blake. Bumblebee was only good because of Hailee Steinfeld.

I watched Hobbs & Shaw tonight and it's crazy how much better it is than the Fast & Furious movies. Maybe that's just me, but if F&F ended today and we got like 7 sequels to Hobbs & Shaw, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, colonial said:

Back to Central Florida, back to seeing what's showing in my local theatres and likely ONLY my local theatres ...

ACCELERATION

Lundgren, Flanery, Trejo, Liddell -- sleepwalk through their lines in a film that saved money primarily by avoiding traditional lighting of all kinds. 

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was 1994 and PM Entertainment had put out another Direct-To-Video schlock classic.

I half expect to see a Jack Scalia or Cynthia Rothrock cameo in this fucking thing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, driver said:

I caught The Good Liar this morning. It's the first thing I've seen Ian McKellen in that wasn't an X-Men movie. He and Helen Mirren are really good here.

The Ballad of Little Jo, Richard III, Gods and Monsters, and Apt Pupil are all worth checking out.  And The Last Action Hero if you haven't seen it.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 5:55 AM, Execproducer said:

The Ballad of Little Jo, Richard III, Gods and Monsters, and Apt Pupil are all worth checking out.  And The Last Action Hero if you haven't seen it.

Don't forget his turn as the creepiest fucking Dracula you've ever seen in that Pet Shop Boys video too!

• Like 2