DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

“Pose” star Billy Porter is in negotiations to join Camila Cabello in Sony’s reimagined musical version of “Cinderella.” If the deal goes through, Porter will play Cinderella’s fairy godmother.

WE HAVE ARRIVED ~!

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Alright, so where are we talking about El Camino at? Wasn't there a Breaking Bad thread? That was so good, and really beautiful at times.

Yep, totally agreed. The perfect epilogue to the series. I couldn't sleep last night and around 4 am I figured I would watch at least half of it and then I watched the other half when taking a break from work this morning. I loved it. I'll need to watch it again.

I watched Widows last night. I was surprised that, I thought it was a heist movie, but most of the movie is more of a slow paced character study with short heist scenes at the start and the end. Bit odd seeing Liam Neeson in a movie (married to a black woman as well) after his bizarre overshare about wanting to be a racist murderer back in the day. 

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Alright, so where are we talking about El Camino at? Wasn't there a Breaking Bad thread? That was so good, and really beautiful at times.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yep, totally agreed. The perfect epilogue to the series. I couldn't sleep last night and around 4 am I figured I would watch at least half of it and then I watched the other half when taking a break from work this morning. I loved it. I'll need to watch it again.

Two hours blew right by...loved every stinkin’ minute.

• Like 1

I will say it is a bittersweet ending. It's a series I don't want to say goodbye to, but doing so is unavoidable.

At least for now there's still BCS, but who knows how much longer that's going to run for.

Well, wait...Aren't there going to be multiple Breaking Bad movies?

I hadn't heard about anything like that, but nothing stays dead anymore. What would the subject matter of those even be? Do you de-age Giancarlo Esposito for a prequel about Gus's time in Chile? Pass.

We already have two full series, and now a movie that seemingly only exists because Aaron Paul's film career never took off. I think we've mined this universe for all it's worth. Give me the end of the story for Jimmy and Kim and Nacho, and I'm good.

15 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I hadn't heard about anything like that, but nothing stays dead anymore. What would the subject matter of those even be? Do you de-age Giancarlo Esposito for a prequel about Gus's time in Chile? Pass.

We already have two full series, and now a movie that seemingly only exists because Aaron Paul's film career never took off. I think we've mined this universe for all it's worth. Give me the end of the story for Jimmy and Kim and Nacho, and I'm good.

Heresy. Give me a series with Walt Jr having breakfast and trying on pants. Give me a Bill Burr conman show while working on his part time standup comedy career...give me more. I have faith in Gilligan.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

a movie that seemingly only exists because Aaron Paul's film career never took off

I read a Guardian interview with him where he says he's been selective about roles he takes, plus his wife just had a kid. He wants to be a character actor. You're not going to be seeing him as a Marvel hero or something if that's the definition of a career "taking off".

EDIT: Forgot, he's also busy funding his mezcal business with Cranston https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a28327366/bryan-cranston-aaron-paul-mezcal-dos-hombres/

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

My favorite thing about these Breaking Bad prequels is that they barely even try to make the actors look like plausible younger versions of themselves.

Jesse Plemmons is about twice the size he was during the show in this movie.  Theh don’t even try to hide it.

• Like 1

Took my eight-year-old daughter to "Abominable" earlier tonight (she liked it) and, once again, the local theaters have their fair share of films that no one has heard of and may be getting their only screenings. Here's a look at what's being shown in Central Florida for the 55+ crowd this weekend ...

MARY

Gary Oldman and his family go on a boat trip. And the boat is EVIL.

LUCKY DAY

Crispin Glover as a hitman with a French accent? I'm listening ...

• Like 1

And two for the families that are showing here and likely here only ...

CINDERELLA AND THE SECRET PRINCE

Appears to have been animated and voiced by a middle school computer class.

SANTA FAKE

We sure love our holiday-themed movies that no one's ever heard of down here. This one has that one guy from Glee, the one woman from … Glee, and a Brat Packer who I don't think appeared on Glee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

My favorite thing about these Breaking Bad prequels is that they barely even try to make the actors look like plausible younger versions of themselves.

Jesse Plemmons is about twice the size he was during the show in this movie.  Theh don’t even try to hide it.

I guess I'll be in the minority and say it was good, but didn't think the story it told was really worth telling.  Maybe it has been too long since I watched Breaking Bad.  There will be a day when I watch the entire series again, and I'll probably skip this.  That and of course "Fly." And I had the opposite reaction to Plemmons:  "You couldn't prepare for your role a little bit?"

• Like 1

I'll go a step further and say that I've recently rewatched Breaking Bad and I didn't like this. Aaron Paul is terrific, but it's just way too long and overall unnecessary. I really liked the final image we got of Jesse in the show though. I thought the new adversaries, if you can even call them that, were pretty awful and the handling of Jesse's character in the third act didn't really sit right with me. It contradicted something Gilligan said in the commentary for the finale regarding Jesse. It's not completely bad and there are some good moments sprinkled throughout, but skip this and watch or rewatch Better Call Saul instead.

Edited by brocklock

9 minutes ago, brocklock said:

It contradicted something Gilligan said in the commentary for the finale regarding Jesse.

He's allowed to find something else after he says that. But since I didn't listen to the commentary, and won't, please share.

Of course my feeling with these TV revival movies, even the ones I like, is normally that I'd vastly prefer another season and a movie can never replicate that magic. So yes, everyone who hasn't watched BCS or tapped out in the first season should go and watch it because it's better than Breaking Bad. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

32 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He's allowed to find something else after he says that. But since I didn't listen to the commentary, and won't, please share.

Of course my feeling with these TV revival movies, even the ones I like, is normally that I'd vastly prefer another season and a movie can never replicate that magic. So yes, everyone who hasn't watched BCS or tapped out in the first season should go and watch it because it's better than Breaking Bad. 

He said that Jesse is done with killing after Todd. I understand it was six years ago when he said it but if you are gonna bring Jesse, who has always been internally tortured by death and killing, to that level then he should've wrote a better antagonist worthy of that moment.

spoilers for El Camino

The Welder guys were so weakly done and seemed like a waste of an important character moment for Jesse. The weird Mexican standoff with the guy from The Mick and The Righteous Gemstones felt like a moment just designed to be cool and went against the Jesse in the first half of the movie even. I'm fine with having Jesse kill again, I just thought The Welder and other guy were pretty awful antagonists that felt like a last minute add on. The Jesse PTSD stuff in the first half though was excellently written and acted on the other hand. I think the first 40 minutes with the Jesse/Skinny Pete/Badger scenes and Jesse/Todd flashback scenes were easily the best part and the rest was kind of lacking for me.

Edited by brocklock

I haven't seen it, so I can't speak to this yet. Just wondering what Gilligan had said.

But yeah, Jesse was done with killing before he did Gale. So I can see why that would rub some fans wrong depending on how they felt about the movie.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1