DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Of course you know people will not read the story and somehow think that Roberts wanted to play Tubman

The least surprising but most telling quote in the story

"When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, 'It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.'"

• Haha 5

Today is the final day before Blade Runner is consigned to taking place ‘in the past’. 

Considering the effect the film had on futurism, and how it informed the aesthetic of every sci-fi film and cyber punk media that came along in one way or another in my youth, that fact verges on vomit inducing. 

Amazes me that nothing has ever come along to definitively update or supplant it’s vision either.

And as much as I love the opening 10 minutes of Drive, I’d say this is the most awe inspiring opening of any film ever. From the visuals to the score it just captures your imagination and puts you in that world like nothing else

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Today is the final day before Blade Runner is consigned to taking place ‘in the past’. 

Considering the effect the film had on futurism, and how it informed the aesthetic of every sci-fi film and cyber punk media that came along in one way or another in my youth, that fact verges on vomit inducing. 

Amazes me that nothing has ever come along to definitively update or supplant it’s vision either.

And as much as I love the opening 10 minutes of Drive, I’d say this is the most awe inspiring opening of any film ever. From the visuals to the score it just captures your imagination and puts you in that world like nothing else

Blade Runner is top 5 for me.  Probably top 3.  Strictly original cut.  Deckard is human.

• Like 2

Shame they only ever made one Blade Runner movie, really. The world building is so good, there are so many stories you could tell from there. But they just never made a sequel.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Blade Runner is top 5 for me.  Probably top 3.  Strictly original cut.  Deckard is human.

I’m a connoisseur, I’ve got a good fan edit that mixes aspects of the various cuts which I think is the ideal. I’m also one of those people who likes the narration.

i wish Ridley Scott had actually directed 2049, I think he’d have trimmed it up great. I enjoyed it for the most part but it’s definitely flawed 

59 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I’m a connoisseur, I’ve got a good fan edit that mixes aspects of the various cuts which I think is the ideal. I’m also one of those people who likes the narration.

i wish Ridley Scott had actually directed 2049, I think he’d have trimmed it up great. I enjoyed it for the most part but it’s definitely flawed 

I love the narration.  I took a "Genre Theory and Criticism" class in college (holy fuck this was like 1996) and the selected genre for that semester was detective fiction.  Every week, we'd have a seminar, watch a film, then discuss it.  Long story longer, the premise of the course was that genres have a specific lifespan as they come into fashion, are popular, lose popularity, then die off for a while.  Blade Runner was used as the example of the late stage where a genre is kept interesting by blending it with another genre.  The weird point I'm making is that professor considered the narration such a wonderful happy accident, because the bored, seen-it-all gumshoe talking matter-of-factly to the viewer was such a staple of detective noir films that it just worked incredibly well.  It didn't matter that the studio pressured for its addition or that Ford read it so flatly because he hated doing it.  It just WORKED.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:51 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

I hate the director’s cut and am a huge champion of the theatrical version. 

Even though it's sold as noir-ish, I kinda hate the hard boiled gumshoe narration of the theatrical version.

The Director's Cut also has the better ending.   That clean, acid rain free happy bullshit conclusion had no business being in the theatrical cut of that story.

Edited by J.T.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:49 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

What the fuck? 

This still reminds me of the arguments I have with people that think that Tropic Thunder is racist and they don't realize that Robert Downey's role is condemnation of shit like this, not a celebration of it.

• Like 1

21 Bridges has a 36% RT rating amongst critics but over an 80% approval ratings from audience posters.

I may suffer for everyone and check this out on Sunday to see how shitty it really is.   

I've got three free Regal Bonus Card movie tickets to cash in so no harm, no foul.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Got a free pass to use this week before it expires.

is Knives Out supposed to be any good? It looks like it could easily be fun camp or trash.

It's 96% Fresh at RT right now and is supposed to be a really good black comedy posing as an old school murder mystery.

Rian Johnson is at the helm so I have fairly high expectations..  My daughter and I were going to see it this Saturday until we scored on Hamilton tickets.

Edited by J.T.

Knives Out is one of the movies I've looked forward to the most this year and I haven't seen one bad thing about it. Plus, you know, Daniel Craig doing a southern accent again, which apparently is the only American accent he knows how to do.

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Southern States accent is the easiest one for British people to do.

I would say non regional dialect is the easiest because I've seen too many people botch doing a southern one (Toby Kebbell in The Counselor, whatever the hell Idris Elba was doing in Prometheus, etc....maybe Ridley Scott isn't the best with casting). Branagh has it down pat as he was the only decent thing in Wild Wild West other than bare ass Salma Hayek and he was good in The Gingerbread Man. Granted, it's probably because he's Kenneth Branagh.