DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

14 years ago today... we are all so very old.

I'm so glad for Necro's sake that he's mostly retired now and apparently made a really nice amount of money playing online poker. That exploder onto the floor is especially hard to watch, so of course it's then shown in slow-mo.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. No and 2. Nailed it

Now I wonder what percentage of board members will remember Ed Grimley

I'd say probably most of us. This board isn't crawling with teenagers and twenty-somethings.

Sami should be obnoxoiusly skanking, like that great gif with he and face Shane.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd say probably most of us. This board isn't crawling with teenagers and twenty-somethings.

Sami should be obnoxoiusly skanking, like that great gif with he and face Shane.

tumblr_oyf37gbbSC1rghka1o1_500.gif

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Speaking of Sasha, I saw on Instagram she was shooting some content for WWE 2K20, so she'll at least be in the video game, not that it means much but worth mentioning I thought.

Apparently she met with WWE and they’ve worked out their differences and she may be returning.  

5 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Well, on the plus side we can no longer mock Sasha Banks- this picture is living proof of Boo-Boo Face In Action.

It's his current gimmick, which feels even more insulting because it's done without any explanation.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Plus, Sid being the overwhelming crowd favorite in MSG.

Was there ever a reason for why Sid was so massively over in NY? Dude was from Arkansas. Or is it more of a thing where NY just loves a giant muscled dude that smashes others.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Was there ever a reason for why Sid was so massively over in NY? Dude was from Arkansas. Or is it more of a thing where NY just loves a giant muscled dude that smashes others.

There was a lot of anti-Shawn Michaels sentiment. You'd see little kids wearing his merch and women go crazy for him, but adult men weren't cheering the guy that pranced around like a male stripper. New York is always a smart mark heavy crowd, so there were likely people that knew about Shawn's backstage bullshit. Plus, Sid was just a monster badass and made the fist bump cool. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man's man vs Ladies Man, innit? Also NY being a big man territory since forever.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As cool as Triple H coming out to for Whom The Bell Tolls was, I think this will always be my favourite entrance. The fist-bump per fan quota is off the scale

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One of my favourite wrestling themes. I miss that MGS entrance. Felt special when WWF/E returned every two years from 1994-2002.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Man's man vs Ladies Man, innit? Also NY being a big man territory since forever.

That, and I think, especially to the more jaded, "smart" NYC audience, the whole drippy "Boyhood Dream" gimmick had more than ran it's course.

And, you know, Sid got over everywhere he went. I've said it before, but he's the best bad wrestler ever. Incredible aura.

It was just a perfect storm to get Shawn booed out of the fucking building.

And, despite this, and despite Shawn being rattled enough to respond to the crowd, he surprisingly didn't go into a shell and phone the match in. One of the better performances of his main event run.

• Like 2

RE - Joe v Necro, at that time I was lurking around the CZWfans board and the hype for that match in the lead up was incredible.  Ian Rotten was at the peak of his powers in terms of Indie dream booking.

I don’t think I’ve experienced a more fun few years watching indie wrestling than those around 03-06.  You had great Mike Burns booked CZW cards with the PWG and IWS guys, the CZW v RoH feud was shortly afterwards, IWA was holding insane TPI and Strong Style tournaments, PWG was in its infancy. Even KOTDM 03 holds a special place in my heart.  There’s some really great stuff during that whole period.

One of the weirdest things to come from this match is that Necro changed up his style and done more straight up brawling and ended up in RoH. Around the same time Ian started putting on shoot style technical matches with Hero.  Some crazy stuff.

There is some great stuff buried in the sands of time from around that time.  GCW seems to be the spiritual successor to that whole era.

• Like 6

Sid’s in his own category, man. Everyone loves Sid! 

On the 20-80 baseball scale dude had an 80 look and 80 charisma. Sure he had 20 wrestling skills but no one cares about that. One of the best squash match wrestlers ever.

I seem to recall in the earlier days of ye olde IWC that was a lot of anti-Sid sentiment. These people were idiots.

• Like 5

In a revelation I’ve had today. WWE TV has become the new TNA for me. In that I don’t watch it 75% of the time but I enjoy listening to John Pollock’s, or Bryan Alvarez’s continued misery of reviewing it on their respective audio programs.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3