DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

3 hours ago, jstout said:

1. Does any of our older posters feel the Monday Night Wars burned them on wrestling?

Yes and no. It chased me AWAY from WWE for over a decade but chased me TO some other great stuff I was missing. I know younger folks like to wax nostalgic for the "greatness of the attitude era" but that was some lowest-common-denominator, puerile shit right there. I got REALLY sick of short, shitty matches sandwiched between Vince's masturbatory fantasies and ego strokes. Awful. I went to the indies, NOAH, and old school territory and AJPW stuff for my wrasslin' needs.

• Like 2

There are too many matches that could mean something that just get thrown away in the WWE. Wrestlers don't talk people into the importance of a match anymore, or don't get the chance, more like it. They need to make me care, or it just turns into another "hey, what do you know, an arm drag" wrestling match. The last match anyone talked me into watching, something I had no plans to see until then, was a Heyman (of course) promo about Lesnar-Cena at SummerSlam (the mauling match from a couple of years ago).

Hopefully, the brand split means more time for talking. Wrestling needs more promos (not 20-minute-long ones, either).

• Like 1

The three-hour format has really killed my interest in current wwe. It's just too much of a time commitment vs. the quality of what I'm watching. It feels like a chore. 

It's impossible to fathom that now there's going to be a second "main" show giving us another 2 hours of wrestling each week.

But that doesn't mean my interest in wrestling is suffering. The first two years or so of nxt were a hell of a ride. And now that WWE managed to ruin that by gutting the roster I've been watching a lot of 1996 Raw. The shows are 45 minutes long and with a little fast forwarding you can bang out a weeks worth of tv in half an hour. 

• Like 1

3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of Smackdown and 2 PPVs a month is just too much WWE for anyone. I know that I don't have the time to be watching 5 hours of WWE a week (7-8 hours during PPV weeks) It's too much content for anyone with a job or a life to realistically consume. I'm going to basically pick whichever show has more of my favorite wrestlers drafted to it and only watch that one, and I have a feeling a lot of people are going to do the same.

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

However, I did start feeling like I was watching out of obligation around 2009-2010 and when heel Cole was around I really really scaled back my watching to checking out things on youtube when they were hyped here, checking out Raw once in while (like once a every three months) and watching the Rumble and Mania.

Heel Cole is the only time I remember actively not watching wrestling. I'll be 37 this year and have been watching wrestling since I was 3 and that was the only time I remember saying to myself, "this shit is unbearable" and would change the channel It was basically 3 hours of Vince by proxy telling you how stupid you were for watching the show and how we're all basement dwelling nerds. Now, Stephanie is an active channel changer for me. I have no need to see authority figures anymore and I damn sure don't need to see one berating their employees with no recourse and having a power struggle with their rich siblings/father. For a lot of working people, that's called real life and we watch wrestling to get away from it.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

For a lot of working people, that's called real life and we watch wrestling to get away from it.

That's why Austin's run worked.  Everyone wants to fuck up their boss.  I want Stephanie to get hers ... but not, for different reasons.

1 minute ago, DTTW said:

Perfectly content to never see anyone related to Vince on WWE ever again.

Same here. I've seen all kinds of fantasy booking of the brand split, who's in charge etc and all I want is for all GMs, commissioners, owners, COOs, CEOs, to go the fuck away. I don't care who is running what.

• Like 2

I pretty much watch NXT and old SNs, Nitros, and Raws along with LU, so wrestling in 2016 really works for me. I also love my YouTube app on PS4 because I'll watch the pimped matches in the internet matches thread, WoS, Portland, and Georgia on YouTube to mix things up.

re: the Attitude Era, RAW in late '97 is getting pretty dire, though, what with all the slurs and goofiness and such. I can see how that would drive someone away from modern pro wrestling.

The worst thing about the Attitude Era was that it was so successful that it's now overly-glorified in modern-day WWE so that stuff happens in 2016 like roly-poly Steve Austin coming back at fifty just to hit stunners on over young acts in the company. Well, that and the destruction of the only other competitive national promotion in the country. 

• Like 1

Due to work scheduling and just being a 20 something I  stopped habitually watching wrestling from 2002-2013. I followed events and caught YouTube highlights to catch up... but the Toothless Aggression era was something I missed out on. What irritated me was the quality of and the blatant telegraphing. It all came off as so choreographed that it just sucked. 

I can narrow it down even further by saying Randy Orton and John Cena matches made me hate WWE.

NXT really brought me back into the fold. It was like watching old GWF but with lasers.

Same here, I missed most WWE from 2003-2008 or so just due to college/generally getting my shit together in early adulthood. It helped(?) that that was generally considered a weak period for WWE. I would check out stuff that came recommended and watched some ROH DVDs during that time frame but my wrestling watching was sporadic at best.

• Like 1

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.  I watched all I could of Raw and Nitro during that era, and every single thing during 2003-2008.  If that couldn't drive me away then I'm not sure at this point what will.

• Like 2

After ECW and WCW folded I pretty much quit caring about wrestling for a year or so before discovering the indies.  Plus around that time ROH, IWA-MS, Chikara, CZW, and others were really starting to turn out great stuff so that was pretty much all I kept up with from there.  After the end of 2003 I didn't have cable for about 7 years so I rarely watched anything WWE related unless I was staying at a hotel or I heard about something particularly noteworthy happening.  Around 2009 I gradually lost interest in wrestling as a whole but started once again when ROH's weekly show began to air a year or so later.  I randomly started getting cable for free in early 2011 and Punk's pipe bomb promo got me to start paying attention to WWE again.

• Like 1

Growing up in Portland, WWE never ran here, at least until some drug testing and athletic commission laws were changed. So the very first Raw in Portland was in 2004 and I remember going even though I wasn't watching at the time, and the show opened with a big long promo by Triple H and the "main event" was a promo segment and maybe a contract signing for Wrestlemania 20 between Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Voldermort. And I just remember being super pissed at the very first live TV in Oregon and there was like an hour of talking and no wrestling main event. Fuck that. Got to see Benoit vs Flair at least so that was cool.

I think what we sleep on when talking about the fans wanting "their guy" to be the WWE's guy, is that it means something when they do. 

That's a rarity in wrestling at the moment. Things that actually matter. Amongst guys wrestling each other in a 4358092 series of meaningless matches, stipulations that aren't adhered to, the same revolving door of the same faces, you tune in when you see something that matters or hope that it has the potential to matter down the track.

I don't think hardcore elements of the fan base would be so eager to clammer for their guy to get to the top and see something meaningful, if there were a far greater sense of importance placed on everything surrounding it.

9 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

When did the Samoans get such soft skulls? They used to be as hard as coconuts... now they're just as fragile as a baby's.

when they started wearing boots. Real Samoans have hard heads and wrestle barefoot. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jstout said:

2. I know it goes against his suspension, but WWE is blowing it not doing a mini-documentary with Reigns where he owns up to his mistake and shows him trying to get through it. Ultra-serious presentation. Show him at some complete shit gym returning to his roots working on wrestling 'cause they won't let him in the performance center. Talk about how he let his family down. Talk about how he's gonna get his redemption at the PPV, how he'll show everyone who the man is.

Personally, I'd open Raw with Reigns doing a scripted, overly WWE apology to the fans.  Then have Reigns come back on later and destroy Rollins.  Then have an Ambrose-Reigns staredown, before the Usos come through the crowd, sans facepaint now wearing vests like Reigns and the three of them destroy Ambrose powerboming him through the table a la Shield.  Next night, the newly-christened Roman Empire come out and Reigns says he didn't mean a word of the apology, then announce because the fans turned their back on them, and WWE turned their back on them, they no longer play by anyone's rules and refuse to participate in the draft.  Have them show up on both Raw and Smackdown and destroy everyone in their path.  Basically, turn Reigns/Usos into NWO/Bullet Club and you either end up with three super-over heels who you can have antagonize your faces (Ambrose, Cena, a newly-turned Rollins?), or the crowd buys into them as badasses and you end up with Reigns finally over the way you want it.

• Like 3

I think they should bring Roman back, have him win strong at Battleground, and then just pretend the last month never happened and have him going back to cutting The Guy promos to silence and boos while the ratings and house show attendance continue to drop.

• Like 3