DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

Stop me if you have heard this before: DeRozan and Lowry are stinking the joint out in a playoff game. A combined 5-27, and DeRozan has missed 75% of his free throws tonight.

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jesus, he outscored the Blazers 17-14.    That's some John Woo shit there.  

It was insane. He spent nearly the whole game looking really rusty, stepped up a bit in the fourth, then suddenly in overtime he was STEPH FUCKING CURRY again.

I haven't enjoyed watching a superstar player like I do Steph in my lifetime.

I think my favorite play of his from last night was his layup out of an offensive rebound. Just... wow. How do you see that? He has to be somewhere near the rim first of all, when he's obviously a perimeter player. Then he has to grab the board among the trees despite being smaller than everyone else on the court and dealing with a leg injury. And then he has to spin and put up a shot. In about 1.5 seconds.

That Draymond hook pass was also insane. I get how he saw that -- if they do this, then Draymond does this, so I can do this. That's how a play like that unfolds. But still whipping a pass at that angle is nuts.

His first basket in OT was also absurd. It was just this weird push shot bank shot that went in. He has the greatest range of any player ever. But he also has the whole weirdo throwback game, too. So underrated.

He has to be the closest thing to Pistol Pete.

9 hours ago, Jrag said:

I didn't get off work in time to watch the game, but Dwight on Inside the NBA was fascinating.

Pablo Torre had an interesting tweet about this.  I don't know how to post tweets, but he said, "Lesson of that Dwight interview is the lesson I've learned doing magazine stories.  All of these dudes can be thoughtful when they want to be."

I was watching that last night and thought Dwight came off as a genuine, likable guy, and then realized he's Dwight Howard.  

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Good win for OKC but another game clouded by horrible officiating. I'm not sure what to expect in game six. Don't count the Spurs out. Most of all, don't count on the Thunder to finish a job either.

I know Pop is a coaching genius blah blah blah... but his refusal to stop using the Diaw-West combo for large stretches is killing any momentum the Spurs get in these close games. The Spurs let go of leads and let the Thunder go on scoring runs when these guys are in together and it happened twice in last night's game. I am not sayin  Boban is the answer but he is 7 foot freaking 3 and can crowd the paint and grab a rebound away from Kanter or Adams. At the very least, they need to stagger LMA and Duncan so one is on the floor at all times. I think I wrorte the exact same paragraph after the first game of the season. 

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Raptors better fucking win tonight. 

It's going to be interesting if they keep playing like they've been playing, end up winning this series in 7 and then go out to Cleveland in like 5, or maybe more realistically let's say 4 with at least one game where they keep it close.  That's as good as anyone ever expected them to do this year, so they hit their ceiling, but they did it in such a hamfisted way that you still can't say they met expectations.

• Like 1

That's not Lebron bitching.  That's ESPN putting up a Lebron headline to get some traction on a non-story.

As for Duncan,  I mention Duncan's lack play this series in my last post, but I know Pop has way more knowledge on Duncan's healthy/play than me.  He's not playing for a reason, and though he's had some defensive moments out there, he has done much on the other end.  I agree that West/Diaw are always going to lose the athletic battle with Stevens/Ibaka/Durant/Kanter though.

• Like 1

I read the LeBron article, and there's not much to it.  He complimented Curry's  numbers, and noted the 73 wins.  Didn't get the impression that LeBron was questioning Curry's win.

If anything, Bron's comments are simply recycled fodder in how a player can be valuable in different ways.

And, if we're being honest, several guys should have been unanimous MVP over the years.

As _MJ_ said, it's just ESPN being ESPN.  Gotta give Mike & Mike something to talk about tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

I know Pop is a coaching genius blah blah blah... but his refusal to stop using the Diaw-West combo for large stretches is killing any momentum the Spurs get in these close games. The Spurs let go of leads and let the Thunder go on scoring runs when these guys are in together and it happened twice in last night's game. I am not sayin  Boban is the answer but he is 7 foot freaking 3 and can crowd the paint and grab a rebound away from Kanter or Adams. At the very least, they need to stagger LMA and Duncan so one is on the floor at all times. I think I wrorte the exact same paragraph after the first game of the season. 

I've missed some of the series but from everything I've seen the bigs on the Spurs had been killing the Thunder. Aldridge obviously but I've seen some good minutes out of West for sure. One thing I haven't liked is Parker's shot selection down the stretch of these games. He seems to be settling for long twos which is fine when he's making them but I don't know I feel he's always been more dangerous when he gets to the lane and has options.

This Raptors/Heat series is the worst of basketball. The Raptors' lack of ball movement and insistence on holding it up top until 5 seconds on the shot clock leading to a rushed shot is as much to blame for the poor numbers of the backcourt than their ability in "clutch" scenarios. They have to take such awful, difficult shots so often that of course their shooting percentages are going to blow. And it's not even like Casey's defensive work is close enough to make up for the dogshit offense. They get lost on switches late in games way, way too fucking much. The Heat aren't any better. The officiating is also the drizzling shits too. Two phantom shooting fouls, one for each team in the last two minutes here. Fuck this series. Just DQ these bitches and let the Cavs rest up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I've missed some of the series but from everything I've seen the bigs on the Spurs had been killing the Thunder. Aldridge obviously but I've seen some good minutes out of West for sure. One thing I haven't liked is Parker's shot selection down the stretch of these games. He seems to be settling for long twos which is fine when he's making them but I don't know I feel he's always been more dangerous when he gets to the lane and has options.

The Diaw-West combo has NOT been killing the Thunder. 

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I read the LeBron article, and there's not much to it.  He complimented Curry's  numbers, and noted the 73 wins.  Didn't get the impression that LeBron was questioning Curry's win.

If anything, Bron's comments are simply recycled fodder in how a player can be valuable in different ways.

And, if we're being honest, several guys should have been unanimous MVP over the years.

As _MJ_ said, it's just ESPN being ESPN.  Gotta give Mike & Mike something to talk about tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm not saying Lebron doesn't think he's better than Curry and maybe there's some passive aggression in his answer, but nowhere in it does he say Curry isn't deserving of winning.  Just a headline to put through the media machine tomorrow.

If the Lowry and DeRozan were playing to their season averages or even playing 34 year-old Dwyane Wade to a stalemate, the damn Raptors might have won this damn series already.  Jeez.

• Like 1