DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2015-16: Goin' Bowling & PLAYOFFS?!

Dolfan in NYC

Indiana vs. Duke in Yankee Stadium is... something....

Maybe they'll try and trick people into thinking it's a basketball game...

This is the first time their ACC/Big Ten affliation blew up in their face.

Normally they have someone very local (or two in fact) to help fill the stadium (Syracuse, Rutgers. Last year was Penn State.)

They would have killed for Pittsburgh and I guess they felt they needed to take Duke over Virginia Tech (though Tech travels well in the East)

God the Big Ten sucks. I am guessing they are wishing now that Nebraska had won one more game.

Indiana vs. Duke in Yankee Stadium is... something....

Maybe they'll try and trick people into thinking it's a basketball game...

This is the first time their ACC/Big Ten affliation blew up in their face.

Normally they have someone very local (or two in fact) to help fill the stadium (Syracuse, Rutgers. Last year was Penn State.)

They would have killed for Pittsburgh and I guess they felt they needed to take Duke over Virginia Tech (though Tech travels well in the East)

God the Big Ten sucks. I am guessing they are wishing now that Nebraska had won one more game.

Word on the Pitt message boards is that they voluntarily moved down to an ACC Tier 2 bowl so they could play @ Navy in the Military Industrial Complex Bowl. Apparently the new AD thinks they'll bring more fans to Annapolis on the 28th compared to the Bronx on the 26th.

I can easily see that logic since the Tech fans I know are bitching that their bowl game is the day after Christmas and a lot of them can't go because of that.

And honestly - playing Navy in Annapolis is something that every team should experience

Best conference in the country this year. Florida played in the SEC title game this year, losing one conference game, and would be an underdog to at least four Big Ten teams (Sparty, Ohio, Iowa, and Michigan) and maybe a fifth (10-win Northwestern). Alabama might be the best team in the country but this was definitely a down year for the SEC, relatively-speaking.

I can easily see that logic since the Tech fans I know are bitching that their bowl game is the day after Christmas and a lot of them can't go because of that.

And honestly - playing Navy in Annapolis is something that every team should experience

Do they celebrate Boxing Day on GaTech's campus?   Why couldn't they go?  

Fun fact from Reddit:  FSU is 2-12 all time versus Houston.

(They also haven't played each other since '78)

Best conference in the country this year. Florida played in the SEC title game this year, losing one conference game, and would be an underdog to at least four Big Ten teams (Sparty, Ohio, Iowa, and Michigan) and maybe a fifth (10-win Northwestern). Alabama might be the best team in the country but this was definitely a down year for the SEC, relatively-speaking.

Best top of the conference. But it's damn thin.

Do they celebrate Boxing Day on GaTech's campus?   Why couldn't they go?  

Virginia Tech

Did you forget where I live?

And most are because they would be with families on the 25th so making the 8 hour trek the next day isn't high on the priority list

• Like 1

I would disagree. 6 teams with 9 or more wins. There's just no middle ground. You got from 6 9-win teams to a not-good Penn State (7-5) squad to a bunch of terrible teams. But half your conference winning 9 games on a P5 schedule definitely means it doesn't suck.

There's tons of Pitt fans screaming about it on the message boards, mainly because they think it makes Pitt look bad but I have no idea how playing a ranked team on a better date makes them look bad.

The only bowls within driving distance of Pittsburgh are the Military, Quick Lane and Pinstripe, no one wants to goto Detroit for a bowl game and the Pinstripe and Military are only appealing because of the match up and the Military had a better one this year.

8-4 and a matchup with a tougher than their record Nebraska team that's a no win game. If UCLA wins, wow, you beat a 5-8 team. Lose, and you lost to a 6-7 team.

Excuse me if I'm not excited.

I hate that Southern Miss's first bowl game in 4 years is the day after Christmas, but I like that it's against a P5 opponent. And it's Washington, so...winnable.

Fun fact about this year's Southern Miss team that somehow slipped past my notice until today: They were only the 2nd FBS team in history to have a 4K-yard passer, a 1K-yard receiver, and two 1K-yard running backs in the same season. (The other was 08 Oklahoma.)

How long until we get what's really important: The annual list of gifts given to players in bowl games?

AutoNation Cure Bowl (Georgia State vs. San Jose State, Dec. 19 in Orlando):

Nike pullover; flexfit, flat bill cap; watch; Tervis tumbler; commemorative metal ticket; chill towel; keychain.

Gilman New Mexico Bowl (Arizona vs. New Mexico, Dec. 19 in Albuquerque, N.M): Gift suite; Oakley Holbrook sunglasses, Blade Wet/Dry 30 backpack and fine knit beanie; cap; Sound Pop portable speaker; Ogio toiletry kit; Gildan stadium blanket.

Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl (BYU vs. Utah, Dec. 19 in Las Vegas, Nev.): Gift suite; Oakley backpack; trucker mesh snapback cap; beanie.

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl (Ohio vs. Appalachian State, Dec. 19 in Montgomery, Ala.): Gift suite; Fossil watch; commemorative game coin and case; cap and beanie; Ogio duffle bag; Big Game autograph football.

R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (Louisiana Tech vs. Arkansas State, Dec. 19 in New Orleans): Gift suite; Fossil watch.

Miami Beach Bowl (South Florida vs. Western Kentucky, Dec. 21 in Miami): Bluetooth speaker; Oakley Blade Wet/Dry 30 backpack; Under Armour bucket hat and sunglasses; beach towel; waterproof cellphone case; commemorative football.

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Akron vs. Utah State, Dec. 22 in Boise, Idaho): Gift suite; Coleman two-person tent; beanie; Oakley backpack; Big Game football.

Marmot Boca Raton Bowl (Temple vs. Toledo, Dec. 22 in Boca Raton, Fla.): Gift suite; beach towel; beach bag; Tervis tumbler; sunglasses; sports flip-flops.

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl (Boise State vs. Northern Illinois, Dec. 23 in San Diego): Gift suite; Fossil watch; cap.

GoDaddy Bowl (Georgia Southern vs. Bowling Green, Dec. 23 in Mobile, Ala.): Timely Watch Co. watch; Sol Republic Punk speakers; 32-quart Lit cooler; Wilson official souvenir game ball.

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl (Middle Tennessee vs. Western Michigan, Dec. 24 in Nassau, Bahamas): Gift suite; Oakley backpack; cap; Rock ’Em Apparel socks; Jabra Bluetooth speaker.

Hawaii Bowl (Cincinnati vs. San Diego State, Dec. 24 in Honolulu): Gift suite; Oakley sunglasses and backpack; Tori Richard aloha shirt; surf trunks; team performance wear; Urban Barrels beach bag and towel.

St. Petersburg Bowl (Marshall vs. Connecticut, Dec. 26 in St. Petersburg, Fla.): Gift suite; Oakley backpack and Turbine sunglasses; commemorative football.

Hyundai Sun Bowl (Miami vs. Washington State, Dec. 26 in El Paso, Texas): Gift suite; Timely Watch Co. Silvertone watch; Majestic Pro Base fleece pullover; Ogio Politan backpack; cap; commemorative coin.

Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl (Washington vs. Southern Miss, Dec. 26 in Dallas): Gift suite; Ogio backpack with hydration bladder; commemorative football; beanie.

New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Indiana vs. Duke, Dec. 26 in New York): Variety of New Era products.

Camping World Independence Bowl (Virginia Tech vs. Tulsa, Dec. 26 in Shreveport, La.): Gift suite; Timely Watch Co. watch; New Era knit skull cap; commemorative football.

Foster Farms Bowl (Nebraska vs. UCLA, Dec. 26 in Santa Clara, Calif.): Gift suite; Fossil watch.

Military Bowl (Pittsburgh vs. Navy, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md.): Microsoft Xbox One with Kinect bundle; Under Armour duffel bag.

Quick Lane Bowl (Minnesota vs. Central Michigan, Dec. 28 in Detroit): JBL headphones; custom-made, life-sized decal for each player, with his likeness; hoodie, winter hat, baseball cap; Ogio backpack; vintage football; $200 Best Buy gift card.

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Air Force vs. California, Dec. 29 in Fort Worth, Texas): Gift suite; Ogio backack with hydration bladder; commemorative football; beanie.

Russell Athletic Bowl (North Carolina vs. Baylor, Dec. 29 in Orlando): $350 Best Buy shopping trip; Timely Watch Co. watch; ISlide footwear; beach towel; athletic performance pullover.

Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl (Nevada vs. Colorado State, Dec. 29 in Tucson, Ariz.): Cowtown custom-made cowboy boots.

AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl (LSU vs. Texas Tech, Dec. 29 in Houston: Gift suite; belt buckle; duffel bag; alpaca throw; selfie stick.

Birmingham Bowl (Auburn vs. Memphis, Dec. 30 in Birmingham, Ala.): Gift suite; ESPN beanie; Ogio backpack; Big Game football.

Belk Bowl (Mississippi State vs. N.C. State, Dec. 30 in Charlotte, N.C.): Shopping trip to Belk department store; Fossil watch.

Franklin American Mortgate Music City Bowl (Texas A&M vs. Louisville, Dec. 30 in Nashville, Tenn.): Gift suite; Fossil watch; cap.

National University Holiday Bowl (Wisconsin vs. USC, Dec. 30 in San Diego): Gift suite; Fossil watch.

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (Florida State vs. Houston, Dec. 31 in Atlanta): $300 Vanilla Visa gift card; Fossil watch; Bluetooth speaker; commemorative football; $10 Chick-fil-A gift card.

Capital One Orange Bowl (Clemson vs. Oklahoma, Dec. 31 in Miami Gardens, Fla.): Gift suite; Tourneau watch; Schutt commemorative “split” helmet (half one team and half the other).

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (Alabama vs. Michigan State, Dec. 31 in Arlington, Texas): Would not disclose.

Outback Bowl (Tennessee vs. Northwestern, Jan. 1 in Tampa): $150 Best Buy gift card; Outback Steakhouse gift card; Fossil watch; Jostens ring; cap.

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (Florida vs. Michigan, Jan. 1 in Orlando): $315 Best Buy shopping trip; Timely Watch Co. watch; EA Sports video game; ISlide footwear; beach towel.

Battle Frog Fiesta Bowl (Notre Dame vs. Ohio State, Jan. 1 in Glendale, Ariz.): Gift suite; Fossil watch; Ogio X-Fit backpack.

Rose Bowl by Northwestern Mutual (Iowa vs. Stanford, Jan. 1 in Pasadena, Calif.): Gift suite; Fossil watch; Ogio backpack; New Era fitted 59 Fifty cap.

Allstate Sugar Bowl (Ole Miss vs. Oklahoma State, Jan. 1 in New Orleans): Gift suite; Fossil watch; New Era Cap; commemorative coin.

TaxSlayer Bowl (Georgia vs. Penn State, Jan. 2 in Jacksonville, Fla.): Panasonic gift suite; Fossil watch.

AutoZone Liberty Bowl (Arkansas vs. Kansas State, Jan. 2 in Memphis, Tenn.): Bass Pro Shops gift card and shopping trip; custom-made Oculus Pro Team HD binoculars; Bulova watch; Nike athletic shoes, sport sandals, sunglasses and custom-made backpack; commemorative game ball.

Valero Alamo Bowl (TCU vs. Oregon, Jan. 2 in San Antonio, Texas): Beats Studio Wireless headphones; Fossil watch; $125 Best Buy gift card; team panoramic photo; commemorative mini-helmet.

Motel 6 Cactus Bowl (West Virginia vs. Arizona State, Jan. 2 in Phoenix): Gift suite; Fossil watch; Ogio Excelsior backpack.

National Championship Game (TBD, Jan. 11 in Glendale, Ariz.): Iconic gift.

• Like 2