DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

Since they're determined to make Sting the WCW Avenger, I'd like to see Sting demand a title shot, only is for the US title, because "24 years ago, I beat Steve Austin for that title, and John Cena was honoring that belt."

Sting opting to go for the US, rather than the World Heavyweight Championship would fit his long running character of being jaw droppingly stupid. 

• Like 1

Since they're determined to make Sting the WCW Avenger, I'd like to see Sting demand a title shot, only is for the US title, because "24 years ago, I beat Steve Austin for that title, and John Cena was honoring that belt."

Making Sting the WCW avenger was itself staggeringly foolish. His appearance at Suvivor Series could have been framed solely as anti-corruption, anti-authority, and the angle probably wouldn't have suffered for it.

Rusev being built up for a year to be fed to the most established star -> established star's US title reign lost in the shuffle of a bad angle. 

The dissatisfaction with what happened with Rusev is a pretty common talking point around here, but I'm confused as to what was so terrible about it. Sure, it should have been someone other than Cena that eventually took him down, but the whole idea was that he was being built up to put someone over. That he's in the midcard doing what he's doing now is just more bad writing from WWE, not because they killed him off as a badass. He could still believably win the World title tomorrow.

The company needs new stars. Why would you feed the one monster heel they've effectively built up since ummm, Umaga maybe, to your one super over star that absolutely doesn't need it? Ambrose, Reigns, Cesaro, etc. Anybody but Cena.

The company needs new stars. Why would you feed the one monster heel they've effectively built up since ummm, Umaga maybe, to your one super over star that absolutely doesn't need it? Ambrose, Reigns, Cesaro, etc. Anybody but Cena.

You're not wrong, but speaking of that particular poor booking decision in the same breath as the bungled Invasion or Summer of Punk angles seems like overkill. It's just a symptom of the larger problem (the over-reliance on Cena/refusal to effectively build new stars).

I would agree. I know the point was raised in comparison to the invasion and Punk's '11 run, but I just wanted to comment on how fucking stupid and redundant the whole Rusev thing was. I think Rusev would've been a made man had he beat Cena 2 out of 3 times (including at Wrestlemania) and then Rusev could've gone on to eventually also elevate somebody like Ambrose or Reigns. Instead, you have Rusev in midcard purgatory with Dolph Ziggler and in a terrible feud. 

Invasion was the biggest waste in the history of the company, easily. They made a lot of money short term when they could have been swimming in cash for years if they built up WCW as a legitimate threat and built up some of the WCW guys as actual stars or used the established guys as stars and not glorified jobbers to make a petty point. Instead, they had the feud turn into another Rock/Austin/Angle thing and two of them would be done as regulars within a year and the third would leave in four years. It's why it was so hard to really elevate the next level of guys, not just down to maybe a lack of talent (Batista, early John Cena) but only Triple H was around to really pass the torch. 

The less said about their handling of Punk in 2011, the better.

Rusev is so fucking good that he's been able to overcome terrible booking and a shitty dance partner (Ziggler) and make something out of it.  Props to him. WWE definitely squandered his main event potential in the short term. 

Owens is doing okay but he should have been the one to take out Cena. Everyone knew it and they still decided against it because who the fuck knows.

• Like 1

Nah it's Vince. It's always Vince. He'll ride something for a week or two and then get cold feet. It's been that way for years. I imagine Hunter had the idea that Owens should take out Cena and Vince probably saw the reactions Owens was getting and said "alright Hunter, let's do it."   Then Vince has second thoughts because fuck..  WHAT ABOUT THE MERCH.  So Cena has to go over strong. 

You know how many K.O. shirts I've seen around?  You know how many I saw at SD! the other night?  A bunch.  If Vince actually backed people and made sure their shirts were on sale at the house shows you know maybe they wouldn't lose that much from Cena falling off a bit.  Shit, if they turned Cena heel his merch would probably go up. New fans.

funny you should mention Umaga. who was it he was fed to?

Am I the only one who likes Dolph here?

Nope.  Though I think the babyface turn has killed his momentum.  I thought he was a fun uppercard heel.  I don't hate him as a babyface, but his character has been sorta bland since the turn.

I still like Dolph, I'm just waiting for him to find the next level. He's been elevated by the smark community because of his work. Now where are the 4-star matches? He's certainly talented enough. What the hell happened?

With the U.S. Title I don't see how they didn't come up with some way to get it off Cena. Why not schedule a Cena-Owens match for Raw and have Rollins interfere? It's not that hard.

Dolph has his uses, but they're as the midcard dude that bumps around and gets crushed by the debuting star as a way to signal that the debuting star is no one to fuck with and as the occasional spot-holder for the IC or US championships. 

Being in a long-term midcard feud over a valet exposes him as having sort of shitty charisma and not much of a PPV match worker (at least one-on-one because no one can ever take that Survivor Series performance from last year away from him). 

He should basically be used as early '90s Tito Santana to make the debuting heel look like a threat. 

• Like 1

It's weird how the general consensus about Ziggler has swung around on here.  I remember him being quite over with the general populace when he was cashing in on Del Rio a while back, and now nobody seems that keen on him.  The main problem with Ziggler (aside from the name that sounds like some indy Val Venis imitation) is that he's never had much of a character or motivation other than "underdog who tries his best".  If he got some type of sustained personality and feud where he didn't look like a schmuck he could do quite well.  That and whenever he is on a roll, it's never capitalized on.  Last year's Survivor Series performance should have been career-defining for him, but he faded into obscurity shortly thereafter.  This problem is more indicative of the WWE's booking in general as they've dropped the ball on multiple guys who were on hot streaks in recent years (ie. Cesaro after winning the battle royale).

I guess we will get to see how much stroke Seth Rollins is getting because it looks like his girlfriend/fuck friend from NXT thought it be cute to put a picture of a My Little Pony wearing a swastika arm band on her Instagram account.  He has immediately ditched it but it is Twitter so everyone saw it.