DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Daniel Bryan quote:

"For those waiting for my return I appreciate it, but let's focus on what's going on right now," Bryan said. "I've had my time and it's over so it seems but there's an abundance of talent on the main roster for them to pay attention too. Just let it go."

Uh-oh....

• Like 1

Iron Sheik is right, Virgil is a big-time jabroni.  That takes a lot of guts to do a fundraiser for no good reason.

But nevermind that shit, the Daniel Bryan comment pretty much confirms that's it for him.  It's sad, but I was expecting it.  But there's nothing to be ashamed of, he went further than many thought he'd have the chance to.  I'm sure there's plenty of post-wrestling work he can do for them.

This Liger thing just proves what everyone already knows; wrestling is better when WWE has a legitimate competitor in the U.S. Even with tiny little ROH having TV via DA and Sinclair, their attempts to use big WWE shows to run shows of their own has provoked a mini-war that will lead to Liger/Breeze and WWE trying to work more with New Japan instead of leaving a working relationship with them to ROH alone. 

RE: Bryan, yeah, he's done. Combine that quote from the radio interview with the end of his book, where he says that the success in his career wasn't worth not spending more time with his father, and I'm sure that he's mentally as well as physically done. 

Daniel Bryan quote:

"For those waiting for my return I appreciate it, but let's focus on what's going on right now," Bryan said. "I've had my time and it's over so it seems but there's an abundance of talent on the main roster for them to pay attention too. Just let it go."

Uh-oh....

He sounds really frustrated, and undertandably so. If he can't perform again at 100%, I hope he can bow out gracefully, without people throwing a tantrum.

EDIT- Apparently he was misquoted. My bad.

Edited by Seej

Logically, and I know that's a difficult concept for wrestlers, what reason does he have to come back? So he can be a much better Ziggler? The E won't give him the ball again and it doesn't seem like money is especially his motivator. What would be the point for him, especially at his risk level?

I just don't want Bryan's head to pop off his neck in the ring Misawa-style, so honestly, I was kinda relieved to see that he was in the mindset of winding down. 

• Like 1

Maybe he could do those once in a while type schedules.  I wouldn't be safe to put him in a regular schedule.  If he wrestled just on TV twice a month at most plus the PPV he might be alright.  But I think that any chance of him as a champion are out of the question if he is to come back.

Logically, and I know that's a difficult concept for wrestlers, what reason does he have to come back? So he can be a much better Ziggler? The E won't give him the ball again and it doesn't seem like money is especially his motivator. What would be the point for him, especially at his risk level?

Even if the WWE "wouldn't" give him the ball- the other side to this is that it's also painfully clear, at the same time, the fans won't let WWE *NOT* give him the ball. That'd probably make WWE be less willing to fully clear Bryan unless they know, conclusively, he's 100% healthy and would hold off until they knew that's the case.

This second run made it clear, if his buildup to Mania 30 didn't solidify it: As long as Daniel Bryan is on the WWE active roster, the WWE fanbase WON'T LET anyone else BUT Daniel Bryan be THE MAN- and so now, if there's a chance Bryan is even only at 80-90%, but not good enough to be THE MAN for WWE, WWE's only recourse might be to say "Well, maybe then we don't want Daniel Bryan on the active roster anymore- and we don't want to release him so some other promotion benefits either."

Bryan needs to bring back some mat wrestling to WWE. The audience needs to be conditioned that mat work doesn't have to be boring(just look at Sasha/Becky). I'm pretty jacked for some Bryan vs Owens, Zayn, Rusev, Neville, Balor, Joe, Itami, etc etc matches. Hopefully he can have a nice  run without getting hurt and call it a day.

There's a scene in the Attitude Era where Evil Undertaker has kidnapped Austin, and he and Paul Bearer have him tied up in the back. The following exchange happens:

Taker: "We're going to embalm him."

Bearer: "Alive?"

Taker: "We're going to embalm him... alive."

Remains one of my all-time favourite bits.

• Like 2

I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if WWE developing a working relationship with New Japan has anything to do with their need to sell 100,000+ Wrestlemania tickets? NJPW guys working an interpromotioal match would be kinda cool...

If anything, it would be to get a bigger foothold in Japan.  NJPW at Wrestlemania wouldn't really mean that many more ticket sales.  It's not like those ROH NJPW shows drew that significant amount of people.

Frankly, I'm not sure David and Kerry Von Erich(1981) vs the Megapowers could legit sell out that place. . . 

• Like 1