DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

What's your most enjoyable interview or skit from pro wrestling that you love even though you are aware how terrible it is?

Pretty much everything involving the Ministry of Darkness.

Oh, and Kane's run right after he lost the mask when he was setting JR on fire, electrocuting Shane's nuts, and the like.

Y'know what?

I'd totally mark out if Liger came out to The Orient Express theme

I'd mark out twice as hard if they let him use Honoo No Liger instead of Ikari no Jyushin

James

• Like 1

I mean, if fucking TNA can get away with using "Ikari no Jyushin", no reason WWE can't.

I'd like to think WWE would be a little more careful about using copyrighted material, people actually watch WWE.

I don't think it would cost them much for limited rights though.

What's your most enjoyable interview or skit from pro wrestling that you love even though you are aware how terrible it is?

Pretty much everything involving the Ministry of Darkness.

Oh, and Kane's run right after he lost the mask when he was setting JR on fire, electrocuting Shane's nuts, and the like.

Kane's 2010 Smackdown heel run fits into this for me even more.

Yeah but you know the majority of people likely complained about it at the time and said the feud sucked and Kane sucked.

I liked the goofy music and the promos with sound effects. The only thing I didn't like was the Vince-ism of hammering "vegetative state" instead of coma.

so many choices.....

Kane & Lita's wedding from 2004 is the 2nd best pro wrestling wedding ever (after Macho/Liz of course). Heel Trish Stratus is un-fucking-believably good here.

whatever specialty Raw it was where Mae Young's hand shows up as a teenager (Raw 1000?)

all of those "heel stable dresses up like face stable" skits. nWo/Horsemen, d-X/Nation, etc. i could watch them a million times.

but my top choice would probably have to be the WWF Brawl for All tournament in 1998.

i completely understand why it didn't get over with the live crowd, but i thought it was awesome. i'm currently rewatching 98 Raws right now and i am enthralled by this monstrosity. i have a DVD of the complete tourney and have watched it a number of times.

Flipping through Bruce Hart's biography again and this story tickled me.

The TV tapings at Disney World were a Mickey Mouse performance - pun intended.  Before the show started, the ring announcer told the audience - most of whom were tourists who'd been bribed with free T-shirts to come to the taping - that they were supposed to boo or cheer on cue, depending on which sign this moron wearing a clown outfit held up.  As Davey Boy and Sting (who were WCW's top faces) were coming out, the clown - who must have got his signals crossed - was holding up the Boo sign, so all the fans started booing them.  One of the WCW flunkies then came running out and was dropping F-bombs on the fans - mostly kids and their parents - for being smart-asses, because they were booing the faces.  One of the parents then pointe out that the clown had been holding up the Boo sign, which was why they were booing.  The WCW guy then started chewing out the clown - in front of all the marks.  He then had Dusty and Sting re-enter, while the clown now held the Cheer sign.

It's Bruce Hart, so you have to take it all with a grain of salt, but it's still a good story.

Also, he tells this part of the 'Lost in Cleveland' vignettes.  Did this actually air?  Or is this just Davey and Bruce being out to lunch?

Davey and Diana later told me that Bischoff had recently done another equally lame skit in which Mick Foley was cast as a homeless person in the ghettos of Atlanta out begging for nickles and dimes, at which point Teddy Long and a limosuine full of black heels, made out to be pimps and drug dealers, pulled up and mugged him.  Davey said that since about eighty percent of WCW's fan base were black, there was a huge outcry of protest from NAACP, which was threatening to boycott Turner Broadcasting because the angle was racially stereotyping.
  • Like 1

so many choices.....

Kane & Lita's wedding from 2004 is the 2nd best pro wrestling wedding ever (after Macho/Liz of course).

THOSE are the best wrestling weddings ever? Give me a fucking break.

The Paul Vachon TNT wedding.  Period. It is literally one of the most insane and surreal episodes of WWF television ever produced.  To this day, I'm still not sure what was legit and what was drunk guys just doing whatever the hell they felt like. 

And even crazier, this was the show that made Saturday Night's Main Event a reality.  That alone makes it the best wrestling wedding ever.

Even Uncle Elmer's wedding ranks up there just in how hard the crowd turns on it, and they don't even bother to fix it in post.

I'd go with the proposed HHH vs. Rollins as a throw away midcard main event match, let Taker/Sting close the show with a view to the Shield 3 way being held off till Survivor Series (nice synergy of it being where they debuted).

Your third wheel "main event" - take your pick of Reigns/Wyatt, Reigns/Ambrose or Reigns/Lesnar.

I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if WWE developing a working relationship with New Japan has anything to do with their need to sell 100,000+ Wrestlemania tickets? NJPW guys working an interpromotioal match would be kinda cool...

If anything, it would be to get a bigger foothold in Japan.  NJPW at Wrestlemania wouldn't really mean that many more ticket sales.  It's not like those ROH NJPW shows drew that significant amount of people.

BUT...BUT...WORKRATE!!!

Seriously if this leads to another network special where they do a joint WWE/New Japan show at the Tokyo Dome like those old ones the WWF did with All Japan it could be amazing. Oooh just think about the possibility of WWE guys working the January 4th show.

I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if WWE developing a working relationship with New Japan has anything to do with their need to sell 100,000+ Wrestlemania tickets? NJPW guys working an interpromotioal match would be kinda cool...

If anything, it would be to get a bigger foothold in Japan.  NJPW at Wrestlemania wouldn't really mean that many more ticket sales.  It's not like those ROH NJPW shows drew that significant amount of people.

BUT...BUT...WORKRATE!!!

Seriously if this leads to another network special where they do a joint WWE/New Japan show at the Tokyo Dome like those old ones the WWF did with All Japan it could be amazing. Oooh just think about the possibility of WWE guys working the January 4th show.

Honestly, considering the following:

-all the reports about this news are claiming "Liger at Takeover is only the tip of the iceberg to an even bigger story coming up very soon".

-The AXS TV show is enough of a success that it's the first non-WWE show to be confirmed for a Season 2 as of this moment, and WrestleKingdom on GFW apparently didn't totally bomb

-With this move, NJPW is sending wrestlers to both ROH and WWE on the weekend of Summerslam, not to mention all the NJPW wrestlers who are working with GFW.

If there is some even bigger story coming up, it'd seem less like "WWE is trying to get more of a foothold in Japan" and more like "New Japan is planning to try and expand Stateside again, and they're getting their ducks in a row to try and get the help of top American promotions in order to do that".