DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if WWE developing a working relationship with New Japan has anything to do with their need to sell 100,000+ Wrestlemania tickets? NJPW guys working an interpromotioal match would be kinda cool...

If anything, it would be to get a bigger foothold in Japan.  NJPW at Wrestlemania wouldn't really mean that many more ticket sales.  It's not like those ROH NJPW shows drew that significant amount of people.

BUT...BUT...WORKRATE!!!

Seriously if this leads to another network special where they do a joint WWE/New Japan show at the Tokyo Dome like those old ones the WWF did with All Japan it could be amazing. Oooh just think about the possibility of WWE guys working the January 4th show.

Honestly, considering the following:

-all the reports about this news are claiming "Liger at Takeover is only the tip of the iceberg to an even bigger story coming up very soon".

-The AXS TV show is enough of a success that it's the first non-WWE show to be confirmed for a Season 2 as of this moment, and WrestleKingdom on GFW apparently didn't totally bomb

-With this move, NJPW is sending wrestlers to both ROH and WWE on the weekend of Summerslam, not to mention all the NJPW wrestlers who are working with GFW.

If there is some even bigger story coming up, it'd seem less like "WWE is trying to get more of a foothold in Japan" and more like "New Japan is planning to try and expand Stateside again, and they're getting their ducks in a row to try and get the help of top American promotions in order to do that".

From the Meltz:

"There are other significant moves being made behind-the-scenes regarding NXT and ROH that don't involve New Japan that are likely to become evident in short order. "

I think Liger just struck a deal to work a WWE show.  Why would ROH be all that bothered by this.  Liger will add a few more fans to the NXT show, but Nakamura, Okada, and Kushida are going to be big draws for the ROH crowd.  I don't see this being a long term thing between WWE and NJPW.  No way WWE would ever put the NJPW guys over their talent on their shows, and if it's a deal with NXT there are really only a few guys I would want to see wrestle the NJPW guys....like Balor, Joe, Breeze, Itami.  I think Vince just wants to fuck over ROH and will be putting NXT up against them every chance he has.  I don't know though....I think ROH has been wayyyyy better than NXT lately.  All the call ups have really hurt the show.  It's still great, but I think WWE should really be working with ROH to grow some talent any way they can.  

Y'all, this is pretty great news for luchadores!

With former world Champion Humberto "Chiquita" González and WBC Emeritus Champion, Ana Maria Torres as participants in an historic ceremony, Mexican Health Secretary, Armando Ahued Ortega, and the President of Mexico City Wrestling, " El Fantasma", signed a vital agreement.

From now on,  professional wrestlers  and their families will be covered by a Medical and Social insurance.

Dr. Ahued says he's delighted with and proud of this agreement that will bring benefit to more than 5,000 people.

• Like 3

I posted this in the NXT Thread but since folks are talking about it here too

By Dave Meltzer, WrestlingObserver.com

In what is a major political move, New Japan Pro Wrestling has booked Jushin Liger to appear on WWE's August 22nd NXT show in Brooklyn, NY. He'll face Tyler Breeze.

New Japan had already booked Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, and Kushida for ROH that same night, also in Brooklyn as part of their Field Of Honor event.

There are other significant moves being made behind-the-scenes regarding NXT and ROH that don't involve New Japan that are likely to become evident in short order. 

So if they are working on a NXT/ROH deal - that could easily morph into something that does include New Japan

• Like 1

I've been begging for it since the July 4 show.  Ambrose against Nakamura would be a license to print yen/dollar/all the monies.  They'd out crazy each other with Nak winning and Dean being humbled by the experience.  Then going forward Dean would adopt certain traits like the Bomaye (giggling picturing him saying that)

And good for NJPW, they've been having a damn good year and it's great that they have companies here wanting to work with them.

And hey, great for luchadors having insurance!  That's a wonderful move and hopefully it works out for all.

I'm confused...What would a NXT/ROH "thing" entail? Would ROH be another feeder system for WWE? A promotional war? Talent exchange?

Who knows?  I betcha it will be as big as that Evolve deal a few weeks back.  

Oh, come now.  What could possibly be as big as that?

• Like 1

Jay Lethal is a guy who I'm surprised still hasn't been given at least a shot in WWE. 

From Lethal's Rolling Stone interview

I do have to ask about this. A few days ago there was a report that WWE was eyeing you and a couple other ROH stars. Is there any truth to those rumors?

If there is, then they're keeping it very secret – they haven't even told me yet. I haven't heard anything from them. Right now, I'm having the time of my life. I just had the greatest night of my life, and I still have tunnel vision. I just want to build my reign and my legacy to hopefully be the greatest ROH champion.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't cool to hear, though. Anybody in wrestling – especially those who are a part of my generation – their love of professional wrestling was created by WWE. I would have to say that most of the people from my generation, if given the chance, would definitely go to WWE. As time goes on, that goal changes as we develop a real, true, passion for wrestling. Whether or not that view changes for people in my generation, the goal is still there; it's something that you'd like to check off of your list. I would have to say that if the time is right, I would have to consider it, just to check it off that list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/jay-lethal-the-champ-is-finally-here-20150629#ixzz3gAhYQ96k '>http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/jay-lethal-the-champ-is-finally-here-20150629#ixzz3gAhYQ96k 

I God damn love Jay Lethal but I think, at least in TNA, he suffered from the same thing as Styles and Kazarian where they spent YEARS being portrayed as "young lions" or whatever. Lethal is like 8 years younger than those guys but for some reason my brain lumps him in there. Like Samoa Joe, I think there will come a shit or get off the pot moment for him and WWE.

I'm confused...What would a NXT/ROH "thing" entail? Would ROH be another feeder system for WWE? A promotional war? Talent exchange?

Who knows?  I betcha it will be as big as that Evolve deal a few weeks back.  

Oh, come now.  What could possibly be as big as that?

A GWF/TNA deal?

• Like 1