DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Amazon shows - still getting used to that

Wow, I didn't know know a thing about this. Loved the book. 

Never read the books but I remember watching the pilot during Amazon Pilot Season and really liking it. I never heard which show(s) they picked up so this is great news indeed. The pilot was quite good.

• Like 1

Shit, I'm more in on Ray Donovan than I am on True Detective now. I was done with it last year and now they've pulled me back in. Ian McShane showing up as a drunk billionaire and Jon Voight becoming a pimp with a heart of (sorta) gold were better than any damn gunfight. 

Great first episode.  Luchadores, Cousin Balki, Xanax-assisted drownings.  "You are discreet and have no problem with violence."

The Man in the High Castle was one of the better pilots I've ever watched. It's so damn intense and creepy. If you haven't watched the pilot, you really should. There's a scene in it, which is maybe the creepiest and darkest scene I've ever watched:

The main character gets stopped by a police officer out in the country. It looks like it's snowing and I think the main character remarks about the snow. The officer corrects him by saying it's ash...from burning Jewish people in the furnaces...Yeah.

Currently watching Orphan Black. We're a little more than halfway through season 2 and, yeah, the wife and I are both all in on the Clone Club. Funny, because I've tried to watch season 1 before and couldn't stay interested enough to make it through the season. OB's probably my favorite show lately. Wife's an even bigger fan.

I also just got into OB, burned through 2 seasons in about a week and a half. Season 2 was just bonkers, can't wait for season 3. I find myself worried that the show could go flying off the rails at any moment, which is easy for something with so many moving parts.

Wife and I watched all three seasons in less than a week and a half.  Watched the entire series in about seven days (we're normally not tv fanatics).  I didn't care for season three as much as one and two.  The Castor clones aren't as interesting and varied as the Leta clones.  Season three doesn't go off the rails, though.  The last couple eps are bonkers and the reveal about the original source DNA is jaw dropping.

I watched the Mr. Robot pilot. It's definitely one of the more interesting "modern hacking scheme" films/shows I have seen, so I will give it a few episodes to see where it goes.

I cannot get past how much the lead looks like a bug-eyed Carson Daly.

Also, this show balances between very Libertarian and bizarrely liberal.  I really hate being cognizant of both intended and unintended political messages in mediums of film.

The unintended ones are always more amusing to me.

I can't beleive the streaker love scene worked. Harrington in the background really put it over the top. "What's he doing to her?"

Then He got a huge erection when the guy streaker showed up.

Indubitably.

Been rewatching:

Men of a Certain Age - Angsty teens and 20-somethings have Freaks and Geeks. Middle-aged dudes have Men of a Certain Age as their show that was canceled way too early. MOACA tells the tale of three best best friends, Joe (Ray Romano), Terry (Scott Bakula), and Owen (Andre Braugher). They're in the mid-40s and dealing with life. Joe's a gambler who's getting divorced while running the party supply store he owns. Owen is a salesman at his dad's car dealership, dealing with the pressures of living up to his dad's name and raising a family. Terry is a once-semi-famous actor with commitment issues but a knack for landing really hot women. These are great characters and they are fleshed-out with top-notch writing and outstanding acting. The show feels authentic, with realistic, intelligent dialogue and realistic, not-over-dramatized issues. I'm in the target demographic for this show and it hits home. It's an absolute crime that a show of such quality as this one was canceled after just 2 seasons. Shame on you, TNT. If you haven't seen it, check it out. This is a great, great show. 9/10.

Tell me Tituss Burgess got an emmy nod too!  

He did!  Best supporting actor in a comedy series.  Hamm for guest actor in a comedy.

Hamm was one of the worst parts of that series.

Lies!

So Daredevil got totally snubbed by the Emmys. Wish I was shocked by that

James

I thought Gage tweeted today that it got tech noms.

Also, I wouldn't put it in best series or any acting considerations. Tech awards are the only thing I'd consider it for.

The show was good, but it's by no means great prestige television.

I hate to rain on parades with that.