DVDVR Message Board

Night of Brock Lesnar

Dolfan in NYC

This wasn't Vince protecting Cena. This was idiots booking themselves into a corner.  It did not make sense for Cena to lose so soon after a statement loss. It did not make sense for Brock to lose after months of build.

Creative had a month to come up with a solution that satisfied the audience and furthered the angle. What they came up with failed in both respects.

I'm waiting to hear Rollins explanation of why it would make sense cash in on a wrestler that has been built as someone who cannot be beaten. It defies logic. Maybe he was concussed by Ambrose? 

And dumb.

Why would you end Lesnar/Cena last night? Does that do a thing for anyone? They showed last night Cena found yet another gear to go toe-to-toe against The Beast, who has found many gears this year. However, their war doesn't take place in a vacuum -- Seth Rollins exists, and wants the title, and has the means to grab it. His plan didn't work to execution last night, but it's there. That's a great way to remind the WWE Universe that it's just that -- a sum of constantly moving parts.

What's the only way to settle Brock/Cena once and for all? In a Hell In The Cell between the guy having arguably the best year in wrestling history (Beating The Streak, destroying Cena for the belt, etc.) against a guy angling to become the best of all-time. The cage should (in theory) keep Rollins out of the way for the time being.

That's good long-term planning. They now have a much better pay off.

They genuinely have something with Brock-Cena and as a fan, I don't mind having more of it.

It's not as if MSG wasn't built on the premise if they had something good, they'd book it for three straight shows while escalating the stakes/stips.

• Like 4

I've never been a fan of AJ. Never. I understand her appeal, but the geek chick stuff was a big turn off out-the-gate. AJ has this 'corporate rebel' vibe to her that can't make me get behind her.  She has her place on the roster. If WWE were to let her go- I wouldn't be sad nor really care- but I'd definitely be curious as to why. Out of all the Divas on the roster- AJ would be the last on my list to fire. Despite her doing absolutely nothing for me in the character, looks, promo, and wrestling department- I recognize her value to the company and to the fans as she is one of a handful of Divas, who are not in NXT, who get a pop during her entrance, but also keeps the fans with her through the match.

Nikki bugged the shit out of me last night. Holding someone in place for a big move before you do it and screaming "It's over!!!" is a surefire way to telegraph exactly what's gonna happen. And just screaming "Are you kidding me? Did you seriously just do that?" to AJ for breaking up a pin, which happened like 4 times in thatr match before that, is just corny as all hell. She's just doing her moves and doesn't seem to care about the narrative between her moves.

I think this sums up the hate and at the same time sums up the priase for The Divas. The praise for Nattie/Charlotte from NXT was high. Why? Because fans have been conditioned to see short botchfest Divas matches that when once comes along and is given 10-15 minutes and both workers in the ring are somewhat competent- everyone begins to overract and overrate the match and the workers involved. Some fans are all about THE MOVES~! and the execution of THE MOVES~! while other are more about the overall story being told and how the spots link together.

Nikkie and Brie right now are in The "I DO A Move - Now You Do A Move!" phase of their wrestling career. The next step will be putting it all together. A to B to C. And WHY A eventually leads to C (i.e working on the legs and back and then going for the Sharpshooter) vs. C leading to A  (i.e. going for the sharpshooter at the start of the match and then working on the legs and back). Namoi is the 1997 RVD of the Divas division and that is both a plus and a minus as RVD was known for tons of great spots- but nothing tying them together (and a lot of stalling and taunting).

I'm waiting to hear Rollins explanation of why it would make sense cash in on a wrestler that has been built as someone who cannot be beaten. It defies logic. Maybe he was concussed by Ambrose? 

Because Seth has been backstage long enough to know that the writers will always make John Cena invincible, so he went with the other guy?

I don't get the bitching about Rollins trying to cash in on Lesnar. He just saw Cena go AA--->STF for about a billion years----->AA on Lesnar after two earlier AAs. Who would he rather wrestle - Lesnar, who was about to get put down, or Cena after Cena wins and has some time to gather himself and catch his breath?

Logic says that if you get rid of Cena, you can Curb Stomp and cash in on Lesnar pretty quickly, and of course, someone like Rollins would love the feather in his cap of beating the man that beat The Undertaker on top of it, no matter how it was done.

The only problem with Rollins's plan is that he took too long to execute it. 

They genuinely have something with Brock-Cena and as a fan, I don't mind having more of it.

It's not as if MSG wasn't built on the premise if they had something good, they'd book it for three straight shows while escalating the stakes/stips.

The difference is, MSG feuds ended with a blowoff that produced a decisive winner. A third Lesnar/Cena match, on the other hand, is guaranteed to have a stupid fuck finish.

I thought the Divas Title match was good too. Hated the end result though as I agree that AJ's character comes off as being so unlikeable. The feud with Paige feels like two heels going at it. Nikki was indeed pretty good last night. I was hoping for a Brie run in though.

I don't get the bitching about Rollins trying to cash in on Lesnar. He just saw Cena go AA--->STF for about a billion years----->AA on Lesnar after two earlier AAs. Who would he rather wrestle - Lesnar, who was about to get put down, or Cena after Cena wins and has some time to gather himself and catch his breath?

Logic says that if you get rid of Cena, you can Curb Stomp and cash in on Lesnar pretty quickly, and of course, someone like Rollins would love the feather in his cap of beating the man that beat The Undertaker on top of it, no matter how it was done.

The only problem with Rollins's plan is that he took too long to execute it.

The source of my bitching is that I did not have the sense that Brock was about to tap. Maybe that's what they were going for but it didn't come across for me.

You can rattle off all of the moves Cena hit but Brock has been booked to only go down when hit by something out of the ordinary (I.e finishers on steel stairs)

Because of how Brock's been booked last night felt like one of those random Nitros where they promised a dream match and 10 minutes in the nWo runs in causing a dq.

I get that Rollins had some kind of motivation but it was a stretch.

It reeked of an excuse to break up the match so no one lost.

I thought the finish was great:

1/ Cena is still a viable opponent for Brock down the line and we'll get another awesome Brock/Cena match out of this

2/ Brock keeps his title and credibility, he kicked out of 2 AA's on the count of 1. Not beyond the realm of possibility that he wasn#t beat, especially with JBL screaming at the end that he's still standing and not human

3/ The Authority sent Rollins down to protect their pick but didn't count on him having the balls and gumption to cash in on Brock, possibly causing Brock to turn on the guys that anointed him and throwing another dynamic in the title picture

4/ The closer Rollins gets to the title....the closer Ambrose gets there....

• Like 1

Finish to the main wasn't the worst thing ever, but still sufficiently bad. Brock took the curbstomp like a champ though.

Have any of the Ambrose fanfic writers come up with an explanation as to where he was going in that cab in Nashville before he presumably heard Rollins' open challenge while watching the WWE Network on his mobile device?

Finish to the main wasn't the worst thing ever, but still sufficiently bad. Brock took the curbstomp like a champ though.

Have any of the Ambrose fanfic writers come up with an explanation as to where he was going in that cab in Nashville before he presumably heard Rollins' open challenge while watching the WWE Network on his mobile device?

He was driving to Memphis to steal from Graceland. Ambrose was planning on showing up on Raw wearing an Elvis suit. Some of what Ambrose would have taken was going to end up in area pawn shops, so he could have enough money to get shitfaced on computer duster and cough syrup. Ambrose would have been found in a Denny's dumpster @ 3 am dressed as Elvis.
  • Like 1

About AJ:

I'm not quite as high on her as I was a year and a half ago (when she was consistently cutting the best promos in the company, and had the best character in the company) but she's still A.) The best woman in-ring performer they've had in several years, B.) A top 10, and probably top 5 promo in the company, and C.) If I can be all shallow for a second, dude, she's fucking hot.

So, yeah, AJ LEE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The weird butterfly title is once again back where it fucking belongs.