DVDVR Message Board

Night of Brock Lesnar

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not giving a giant review of a PPV that sort of was just there for me. However, let me state for the record that the fact that there were NO WYATT FAMILY APPEARANCES but we got what felt like 8 days of Orton/Jericho AND Miz/Zig with 2 bro country dudes added to the worst announce team is history is a crime.

• Like 6

I really liked the PPV, despite the fact that I didn't like all the people that went over.

-I take it back.  I was so glad the Dust Brothers won.

-I don't understand that they don't realize Cesaro is gold Jerry...GOLD!!!  I popped for the Alpamare Waterslide also.  That being said, I am begrudgingly digging his series with Sheamus.

-The best part of the Ziggler/Miz match was Sandow mimicking Miz along the barrier holding his head like he was just in the match.

-I REALLY don't see what you guys see in Ambrose.  Main eventer my ass...

-I third the comment about A.J. being annoying.  Go away and make obnoxious kids with Punk already.

-Jericho/Orton was better than I expected.

-Rusev downs another brother, eh?

-Loved the main, but the DQ finish was pretty lazy, but understandable.

Why wouldn't Ambrose be a main eventer? He's one of the few guys in WWE with a personality, and an actual character that doesn't seem handed down by creative.  Everything Ambrose is good at(taking beatings, showing fire, cutting the I'm gonna get my revenge promos etc) is what makes a great top baby face.

• Like 1

Bryan Alvarez theorized that the reason AJ is getting such a big push despite WWE hating Punk is because they're trying to keep her as busy as possible so she's constantly on the road with title defenses and press interviews and can't be with him nearly as much.

I think this is a bit out there but not totally outside the realm of possibility.

WWE = Homewreckers.

Ambrose gets nuclear heat everywhere he goes no matter what he's doing. When people see Ambrose, people realize "shit. is. on." People haven't done that since Austin where Austin would show up and crowds would lose their shit because someone was going to get an ass whoopin'. 

Cesaro has had way too much start/stop going on and it's hurt him.

• Like 2

There's a fine line between he can't be controlled and he's just weird.  Ambrose walks that line well, but I can see where someone would pick up on something about him that seems too peciular.

EDIT:  Reed, I saw a similar comment about AJ on a Tumblr blog.  They may have picked it up from Alvarez. Supposedly, Vince/Steph/Hunter like her, but can't stand Punk.  And with many thinking their marriage will inevitably end anyway, I could see this being something of a possibility.

I just like the idea of people in WWE management sitting down and deciding "yeah, we're going to sabotage this marriage" like some daytime soap opera villains.

I agree the marriage probably is doomed due to Lee's road schedule, Punk's wandering eye, etc, but the idea the McMahons would set out to wreck it by keeping Lee on the road as much as they can is so cartoonishly evil it's almost absurd.

Almost.

• Like 2

I think AJ has the spot she has because she's really talented and is a great focal point for the division. Paige has become a really good character, and there's no way she becomes this solid if she's feuding with any of the Total Divas types. Also, AJ has the same exact spot she did before she left and everything with Punk blew up. I don't see how that's proof of any sort of Machiavellian plotting.

• Like 1

Vince has (outside of Austin) always booked his top faces as almost unbeatable super hero types. Totally against the grain of just about every territory/fed before and after the Monday Night Wars.

He could be adding merchandise sales into the equation.  

One of the points against Bryan was that his being over did not translate to merchandise sales where Cena does.  

Vince is not just looking at ratings and gates; he sees how much it translates into merchandise sales at the counters in the concourse.

There was an article that came out a couple of weeks ago about how Cena's merchandise sales are some absurd number in relation to the rest of the roster.  It makes sense to book him accordingly.  Vince is not going to turn Cena heel and risk losing that cash cow.  Vince has to book Cena as this superhero face to sell to the kids.

Let me say this: I could see Ambrose as a main event HEEL. Main event face? Not a chance.

Some probably thought the same for Austin and Foley. Ambrose screams Anti-Hero.

Ambrose is already being setup as the rebellious force against HHH and Steph's oppressive regime. Shit, to a lesser extent, the Authority has their version of the Rock in Rollins.

My take on the logic in the main event.

The Authority hates Cena. They send Rollins out to ensure Cena doesn't regain the belt.

Rollins notices that Brock has just taken a hell of a beating and decides with Ambrose carted off, Reigns in the hospital and Cena down and out that he might as well roll the dice.

Bryan Alvarez theorized that the reason AJ is getting such a big push despite WWE hating Punk is because they're trying to keep her as busy as possible so she's constantly on the road with title defenses and press interviews and can't be with him nearly as much.

I think this is a bit out there but not totally outside the realm of possibility.

WWE = Homewreckers.

Vince McMahon and Victor Newman have a LOT in common.

• Like 2

Glad to see Nikki getting some praise in this thread. The Bellas have been woefully unappreciated in the ring for a long time. Especially Nikki. Between those two, Natty, Naomi, and Summer, I don't understand why so many people feel the need to belittle the in-ring bonafides of the Total Divas crew. I suppose not having a tonne of NXT hype aside from Summer and Natty has hurt the collective. And then there's the "too cool for school" thing AJ seems to have going for her in the eyes of many. 

Bottom line: Paige and AJ aren't the only two women on the main roster worth watching. I wish more people could see that. 

Let me say this:  I could see Ambrose as a main event HEEL.  Main event face?  Not a chance.

This talking point feels so last year. 

Paige has become a really good character, and there's no way she becomes this solid if she's feuding with any of the Total Divas types.

:( I expect positivity from you, Gregg. Why you gotta hurt me like that? 

• Like 1

Glad to see Nikki getting some praise in this thread. The Bellas have been woefully unappreciated in the ring for a long time. Especially Nikki. Between those two, Natty, Naomi, and Summer, I don't understand why so many people feel the need to belittle the in-ring bonafides of the Total Divas crew. I suppose not having a tonne of NXT hype aside from Summer and Natty has hurt the collective. And then there's the "too cool for school" thing AJ seems to have going for her in the eyes of many. 

Bottom line: Paige and AJ aren't the only two women on the main roster worth watching. I wish more people could see that. 

Let me say this:  I could see Ambrose as a main event HEEL.  Main event face?  Not a chance.

This talking point feels so last year. 

Paige has become a really good character, and there's no way she becomes this solid if she's feuding with any of the Total Divas types.

:( I expect positivity from you, Gregg. Why you gotta hurt me like that? 

Haha!

I agree that the woman's division has improved dramatically. Nikki was REALLY good last night. Dare I say she wrestled like early heel Cena? Naomi also is pretty decent. Nattie was really good in NXT and I went from hating her to really enjoying her work. Her good-nature really propelled Tyson Kidd into becoming one of the best dickheads in recent memory.

But then you have Cameron and Eva Marie...

My only problem with woman's division is that there's still some stuff missing from a lot of the woman. The reason why I love AJ as a worker is because she's a really good with facial expressions and the little things that matter -- a well-timed snarky skip, a condescending smirk, etc. She does that really well in the ring. She's also figured out a way to work with her limitations. She's so friggin' tiny and doesn't have the athleticism to do aerial moves. But she's developed herself as someone clever/sneaky in the ring. Her kicks are believable and I really like the Black Widow finisher.

She's also light years beyond Nikki and Brie (for example) on the microphone. I know that's not really saying anything, but AJ has been really good for a really long time.

Maybe her act isn't for everybody, but she does her act well. (Which is also my pro-CM Punk and Cena arguments: Maybe people don't like the actual act, but they perform their act really well.)

But, yes, kudos to the woman's division for not being a total waste of time in the ring lately.

• Like 1