DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

TNA ventured into 'Network' waters before and we all know that TNA loves copying the WWE. Is there any 'hope' that TNA decides to just say 'fuck it' and become a 100% streamed product. This would require TNA buying all 500 plus episodes of Impact off of Spike TV in order to include it with the 'TNA Vault' content that was used previously. I can see TNA doing something silly like 5.99 a month and still not even break even. I'm guessing TNA's Youtube deal prevents something like this?

I'm looking toward the future. If I was TNA, I would try and see if I could sit down with Myspace and work out a live streaming deal. Myspace restructed the company, mission statement, etc. years ago. Having Impact at Myspace.com every Thursday Night will promise at least 1 million unique Ips world wide between the hours of 9pm-11pm EST. Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu are always lookg for orginal programming...any of them even remotely interested in wrestling? It's best is TNA just says 'fuck TV', as its not going to work out for them, and take a risk in moving to a digital platform that is trying to re-establish itself (Myspace) and/or grow into new markets (Hulu, Amazon, etc.).

Why would TNA need to buy episodes of Impact from Spike?

As I understand it (and I may very well be completely wrong) part of the deal with Spike is that they own the actual tv library from when the show started, or possibly co-own it. 

As I understand it (and I may very well be completely wrong) part of the deal with Spike is that they own the actual tv library from when the show started, or possibly co-own it. 

So Vince could swoop in and buy the rights to Impact even if TNA survives this?

That would be deliciously evil.

So Vince could swoop in and buy the rights to Impact even if TNA survives this?

That would be deliciously evil.

They could do a show on the WW Network that is just episodes of Impact sped up with Yakety Sax in the background.

• Like 3

Yeah, I've always heard that Spike owns the footage. Perhaps that is overstayed and its more like the deal Spike and Zuffa had regarding UFC footage. Spike had the rights to that footage for an ex amount of years AFTER the UFC left. Perhaps it will be the same with TNA and Spike will show out-of-order re-runs of Impacts on Saturday evenings? UFC footage had values to Spike, so I can see them keeping it on (and even trying to capitalize off recent buzz by running fighter specific marathons, etc.). If Spike keeps TNA, I want MST3K TNA with a post show review done by Colin Quinn and his 'tough crowd' panel for the night. TNA grew to hate the 'wrestling' aspect of its show, so why not chop up the matches, MXC style, and add in random sound effects.

Saddest thing about all this is that the show I went to tonight was very good, far better than the Smackdown taping I went to last month. As a product they really seemed to turn a corner with their northeast tapings, and it's a shame that all the stupidity caught up to them.

I still think that judging by their history, they somehow get out of this.

Ideally they take the low ball offer from Spike and then sell a stake, or the whole thing, to an investor(s) that can finance the company with money other than what they get from Spike. And hopefully Dixie gets canned in the process.

If they didn't want to sell before, they may have no choice but to do it now.

But that would involve Dixie doing the honourable thing - and as she bare faced lied to her network sponsors about hiring Vinny Ru, I very much doubt she'll want to leave.#

Nope, I think this is pretty much it for Impact. They had a good run with....errr....gimme a minute.

I love Peanut Butter Twix, or at least I used to before the chocolate cookie. I did have some issues with them though because it seemed like they were always using the oldest damn chocolate they could to make those things.

So, trying to get this careening, flipping, barrel-rolling car back on the road...

What's next for TNA if they lose TV?  Can they go to Hulu or Yahoo?  I can't imagine they'd have the money to just go straight to their own website.

Do they just go dark?

So, trying to get this careening, flipping, barrel-rolling car back on the road...

What's next for TNA if they lose TV?  Can they go to Hulu or Yahoo?  I can't imagine they'd have the money to just go straight to their own website.

Do they just go dark?

I've read somewhere that their new "agent" gets 15% of any deal, so they need to sign a BETTER deal than they had with Spike just to break even, and that's not even taking into account that Spike was paying some salaries.

I think they go dark. Even if they did something unique like going to Netflix, they're not going to get enough money to stay operational.

The last time they lost TV, they streamed Impact and kept their monthly PPVs going. I'm not sure how much longer they would've lasted if Spike hadn't stepped in and put them on TV. 

I see Hulu MAYBE doing it but Netflix likes to film all of the episodes of their shows and upload them at once. That's not conducive to the wrestling model at all. Odds are that TNA is dead in the water on TV/Internet for the time being.