DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

Maybe Russo can be the one who revives the video store business.

I miss the noble video store days. It was a better time for us all.

I'd want RST Video next to the Quick Stop in Leonardo, New Jersey to re-open. I'm kinda surprised Kevin Smith didn't buy them.

• Like 1

I miss the guy at my hometown's video store that would pirate movies for my family. He eventually went out of business because he undercut his own business model but we got some wicked cheap movies in the process.

I can't remember his name but it's possible that he was a relative of Vince Russo. 

• Like 1

To bring it back to TNA/Vince Russo directly....................

Is there anyone that would be interested in buying TNA from Panda? I could see Jeff Jarrett doing it. There's no money in wrestling if you're not Vince so I don't see a random investor doing it.

Dixie should just beg Mark Cuban to take it off her hands, he's a fellow Dallas-area businessman and a wrestling fan to boot. Cuban could probably sell a network on TNA.

Is there anyone that would be interested in buying TNA from Panda? I could see Jeff Jarrett doing it. There's no money in wrestling if you're not Vince so I don't see a random investor doing it.

Dixie should just beg Mark Cuban to take it off her hands, he's a fellow Dallas-area businessman and a wrestling fan to boot. Cuban could probably sell a network on TNA.

Yes there are people that would buy them the big problem is daddy Carter wont sell without Dixie going along with the deal and NO ONE WANTS THAT.

I think they go dark. Even if they did something unique like going to Netflix, they're not going to get enough money to stay operational.

The last time they lost TV, they streamed Impact and kept their monthly PPVs going. I'm not sure how much longer they would've lasted if Spike hadn't stepped in and put them on TV. 

I see Hulu MAYBE doing it but Netflix likes to film all of the episodes of their shows and upload them at once. That's not conducive to the wrestling model at all. Odds are that TNA is dead in the water on TV/Internet for the time being.

I have to disagree. That's one of the things about tv viewers in the 21st century. With Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. there is a ton of binge watching happening. I am sure EVERY MEMBER OF THIS BOARD has sat down at some point in the last 5 years and spent an entire day watching a complete season of a TV show. I have done it multiple times this year. TNA needs to shake it up. Every major pro wrestling company likes to pretend how hip and tech savvy they are by plugging Twitter and mentioning Facebook, but these companies are scared as hell to move entirely to a digitial platform. These companies are afraid to tap into the current trends and culture. Go Pro is pretty big right now and just had its IPO not too long ago- why not get with Go Pro and shoot and entire episode of Impact? It will be a win/win for both companies.

TNA should also look into tagging its commercials. A commerical with no voice overs- just music playing- Shazam the music and it brings up information about TNA on your phone (and the artist-song of course). There are just so many ways TNA can incorporate itself in the digital age. Again, its time to say 'fuck it' and take the plung. UTA should avoid all traditional platforms going forward and look into how to bring pro wrestling into the 21st century.

Re: TV

I just looked at a list of all the channels in the U.S. There appears to be only one fit for TNA. DIY. The channel is new and would probably LOVE to have something that is going to get them eyes. DIY is very social media friendly (Epic Meal Time has its own show) and hopefully some of that can rub off on TNA. If TNA is going to bring in D List celebrities- why not bring in relevant D List celebrites? Maybe the Epic Meal Time guys and MLK have an issue? What if Bethany Mota did Jeff Hardy's makeup?  What if Brooke Adams and Jen Selter were in the same room? Etc. Experiment. See what happens. There are MILLIONS of avenues to advertise and yet TNA wants to be as self contained as possible and call up guys like vanilla ice to get exposure in the local Orlando newspaper.

The big issue with putting TNA on Netflix and relying on binge TV watching is that it would make house shows really weird and confusing. If you tape your shows far in advance and put them on TV one by one then most of your audience is at the same point. With the Netflix model however, house shows become difficult to book. They DO tend to follow TV to some extent.

To save money House shows can be simulated online using the old WCW Pay per listen technology.

You would pay $5.99 for a parking space at a local Sonic and put one of those drive in speakers on your car window while you eat and listen to Mike Tenay make some shit up while Russo live tweets about it via the drive through menu screen.

Yes there are people that would buy them the big problem is daddy Carter wont sell without Dixie going along with the deal and NO ONE WANTS THAT.

Yeah its like anyone who buys the Family Network (currently ABC Family). Because of some deal Pat Robertson made when the channel started, no matter who owns the channel the 700 Club gets I think at least 3 hours a day and they can never be cancelled.

Honestly the best option would be for Spike to buy the majority share and if they have to keep Dixie around so be it. I want Jon Taffer to go over those books.

• Like 1

I think TNA needs to pull a Bischoff and just cancel its house shows. What impact (no pun) does the house show business have on TNA's bottom line? There is no way its profitable? I think TNA should be a product that hits the road, at most, 6 times a year. All 6 of those events are important events (i.e the BFG's, the Lockdown's, etc.). If TNA continues with the house shows then they need to avoid the problem ROH ran into, and I think its simple. Have seasons.

TNA Impact Season One takes 1 months to film. They start in Jan 2015 and the first season is on Netflix by March 2015. Guess where the season finale of is going to happen? Yep. Lockdown 2015. This gives TNA 1 full month to hype the event. This type of planning will prevent TNA from blowing its load during the season. Want to prevent spoilers? Simple. Just film the matches. The arena of fans have no context except for what they see in the ring. If Austin Aries comes out smiling in episode one but starts to show a completely different in-ring character by episode 5, well I guess its time to watch Netflix to see WHY Aries is working heel. After Lockdown. Season Two begins filming in April, released in June, and has its season finale (Slammiversary) at the start of August. TNA can run this gimmick one more time in the year leading to BFG.

During the 'dark' periods between the seasons, TNA can run its non-canon gimmick PPV shows.

• Like 1

Totally off-topic, but as a person who has hated reality tv ever since I watched the first episode of Survivor and was shockingly disappointed to find out it wasn't what I expected*....  I really fucking love Bar Rescue, to the point where I ignore how it is obviously staged and shit.

*I seriously thought the show was going to be "we took a group of people, and dropped them on an Island with no provisions except the clothes they are wearing.  We followed them with cameras, but otherwise ignored them completely.  Whenever someone wants, they can ask to be taken home, and they are eliminated.  Last person standing wins a million bucks."  When I found out it was Real World: Island edition, I was furious and disappointed and never watched another fucking episode, all these years later.

• Like 1

Give him three months and Gordon Ramsay three months and see who gets the most water-cooler talk.

I'm pretty sure I know how Dixie and Ramsay would play out. Just like the episode on the British version when he went to Paris.