DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

That's just.... I don't even know.

I understand wanting to look pretty but thats... Yeah I'm lost here.

She also said mixed race people degenerate real beauty. So there's that.

Question: Is Prince on the Batman score the most blatant example of a soundtrack not fitting a movie?

-Tim Burton!

-Gothic horror!

-Gloomy and stylishly noir sets!

-Good vs. Evil!

...and '80s Prince.

Question: Is Prince on the Batman score the most blatant example of a soundtrack not fitting a movie?

-Tim Burton!

-Gothic horror!

-Good vs. Evil!

...and '80s Prince.

Actually, The Prince stuff fit in amazingly well on the two scenes it showed up. Went with the Elfman score rather well. Better than the stuff that was "inspired" by the two Schumacher flicks.
  • Like 1

-Tim Burton!

-Gothic horror!

-Good vs. Evil!

...and '80s Prince.

Actually, The Prince stuff fit in amazingly well on the two scenes it showed up. Went with the Elfman score rather well. Better than the stuff that was "inspired" by the two Schumacher flicks.

The best scene that the Prince BATMAN soundtrack was in was its appearance in SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

• Like 1

Random thought about a film:

I remember back when I was in grad school, a bunch of us in my program went to see "Sixth Sense" in the theater. Blown away at the end. Amazed. Had the director pegged for ongoing greatness to come.

Fast forward the following Tuesday: We're still talking about the film, when one of the other students, name was Mike, one of those guys that puts himself above everyone else, initiates quixotic crusades for justice for the department & the students, pseudo-intellectual ... whole nine ... pipes up, "Yeah, I guessed the ending before even halfway through."

And I went ballistic. I called bullshit, and told him there was no way in hell, blah blah blah, and looking back I think I was even pretty close to telling Mike to meet me outside in the parking lot.

Dunno what made me think of that situation, but I had to get that off my mind, for work's sake. Fuck Mike.

I wasn't really planning on seeing it in theaters, but figured I'd catch it on DVD and our local-ish newspaper did its end of the year snarky awards and said "Most appropriate performance: Bruce Willis playing a dead guy" WHILE the movie was still in theaters.  Total dick move.  They ended up printing a retraction/apology but I just kinda went "I don't need to see this" and took over ten years to finally get around to seeing it.  It was good.  But I still wish I could've seen it just ONCE without knowing the twist.

It's like when my sister and I were discussing movies once and she said "It's like the end of 'Fight Club' where (JUST in case)

you find out Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are the same person"

and I went "I, uh, haven't seen 'Fight Club' yet."  It was worth it because I don't really care for 'Fight Club' but also the cartoonish look of "Ohhhhh shit" she had on her face.  I tease her about it to this day.

My wife saw it on video, and every fucking person was like "GUESS YOU CAN'T GUESS~!" So she's sitting there trying to figure out the trick and says "Oh he's dead." Her whole family was like "No. No he's not." So when the reveal came she was all "What the fuck, you guys?" If people keep challenging that you'll never guess, chances are you'll guess it. It's especially obvious since Bruce gets shot in the first 5 minutes.

This really became the curse of Shyamalan because every movie after you just sit trying to guess the trick he's going to pull. Well not any more. Now a real twist would be him making a good movie again.

To add to a previous point you made, yeah, I don't care how awful M. Night is, I still LOVE Unbreakable and Signs. Man do I love both of those movies. And in each, there isn't really that much of a twist. I remember the trailers for Unbreakable and my friends and I couldn't figure out what the movie was about. Cut to sitting in the theater and there's the opening blurb about comic books and my friends and I have a real "What the fuck?" moment, but in a good way. And the twist, if you want to even call it that, should have been something you could figure out as the movie plays out. Signs scared the shit out of me in the theater. I thought it was a very interesting portrayal of what life would be like as a possible alien invasion plays out. The twist, again, if you want to call it that, was that there was no twist. 

I really love both 'Signs' and 'Unbreakable' but I find myself unable to love them as much anymore.  The latter was ruined when my brother had a run of injuries and we started calling him Mr. Glass and he started quoting it, now completely takes me out of the film.  'Signs' is the victim of 'Scary Movie 3' which wasn't a great movie or anything, but had the particularly awesome scene of Ajay Naidu as the M.Night character at the scene of the accident where he kills the priest's wife going to said priest "Tom, I'll need a ride home."  I can't watch that scene without imagining that part. 

I love quite a few of his movies. Unbreakable is probably my favorite with Lady in the Water in second place. The Village was a really good movie until the last 15 minutes or so. 

It's a shame he's become a joke, because I think he clearly has good ideas.

I was super into 'The Village' until the twist when I went "Awwww...."  There's still one awesome scene (Though admittedly I haven't watched it since I saw it in theaters) where Joaquin Phoenix comes back to save the blind girl and the timing and music is so perfect.  I should probably watch it again some time.

I know I've told this story on here a few times, but it's always worth repeating.  I was sitting in the very back row of a packed theater (I no longer remember what the movie was) when the trailer for Devil came on.  And as it progressed, the theater got dead silent, and you could see people shifting forward in their seats, leaning in...  Then M. Night's name came up, and the entire room just changed.  A bit of laughter, people getting comfortable again, a bit of that obnoxious conversation during trailers.  I've literally never in my life seen anything like that outside that one event.  His name just KILLED the interest in the movie.

I think his best bet is to start producing, or start his own studio and get his name off of movies because I'm not sure he can outdistance his reputation anymore.  Like, when he makes a film, you can just see people ready to hate it before it's even screened. 

Maybe the aliens didn't know they were vulnerable to water?

A fair point.  Or maybe there aren't any other planets close enough to travel to for harvesting life forms, so they had to settle for the nearer one.  I mean, you can suspend disbelief that aliens are walking around kidnapping human beings, but you can't suspend disbelief that they might be vulnerable to water?!  It's like saying "I can accept wrestlers being Irish-whipped and bouncing back off the ropes, but I cannot accept that the ref misses the heel cheating".  It's part of the conceit, you pretty much have to accept it whole or reject it altogether, no?

http://youtu.be/yoAXy-IEyVo

Anyone who doesn't like this is a communist bastard.

I never, ever, ever, ever get tired of this soundtrack.  If I ever reach a point in my life where I say "Nah, I really don't feel like listening to 'Party Man', could you turn that off?", well, never mind, because it just won't ever happen.

So the "found footage" FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot is going forward with one of the directors from V/H/S.

Another reboot?  There was nothing wrong with the Jared Padalecki / Danielle Panabaker dealie other than reboots being useless in general.  

Arguably my favorite movie that MIchael Bay was involved in if such a thing is possible.  That really isn't a high hurdle to jump over.

So the "found footage" FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot is going forward with one of the directors from V/H/S.

Another reboot?  There was nothing wrong with the Jared Padalecki / Danielle Panabaker dealie other than reboots being useless in general.  

Arguably my favorite movie that MIchael Bay was involved in if such a thing is possible.  That really isn't a high hurdle to jump over.

The one part I like is that it continues the legacy of the F13 movies as the ultimate exploitation cinema.  No matter how "sacred' they are among hard-core horror nerds, right from the beginning and up to today, their real purpose has been to exploit whatever is trendy among teenagers to keep the series going.

Put him in 3D!

Shove Alice Cooper in there!

Send him to New York!

Send him to CGI space!

Reboot!

Reboot again as found footage!

It's the reboot era, so it makes perfect sense that they would do one...and then reboot the reboot.

Regarding Village and the score fitting a certain scene, just thinking about how the score crescendos after Bruce Willis' Everyman is rescued from the pool and takes out that bad guy is fucking awesome. That, and when he discovers his powers and stands with his hands out to get a glimpse at what everyone has done is as awesome. Goosebumps folks.

I actually kind of like the sound of this Friday the 13th remake. At least they're doing something different.

Makes me wonder: what other classic horror films could be remade as found footage?

Could be?  Literally every single one.  And if this Friday the 13th one is popular, they all will be.

The one part I like is that it continues the legacy of the F13 movies as the ultimate exploitation cinema.  No matter how "sacred' they are among hard-core horror nerds, right from the beginning and up to today, their real purpose has been to exploit whatever is trendy among teenagers to keep the series going.

Put him in 3D!

Shove Alice Cooper in there!

Send him to New York!

Send him to CGI space!

Reboot!

Reboot again as found footage!

It's the reboot era, so it makes perfect sense that they would do one...and then reboot the reboot.

I should probably be ashamed to admit I've seen every Friday the 13th, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Alice Cooper isn't actually in Jason Lives; he just provides the theme song. And I have to say, it's pretty fitting since that installment took an intentionally campy approach.

If New Line is hell-bent on rebooting on the franchise, I'd much prefer it follow the tone of Jason Lives and add some humor & self-deprecation (though I suppose Jason X tried that unsuccessfully). 

I actually kind of like the sound of this Friday the 13th remake. At least they're doing something different.

Makes me wonder: what other classic horror films could be remade as found footage?

The Innocents probably could be.  And I would definitely stab someone if that gem was tampered with.