DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Something I wanted to make note of: When my buddies and I went to see The Lego Movie on opening weekend, my theater for some dumb reason placed it in one of the smallest auditoriums they had. When I took my daughter to see it on Saturday, they had moved it to their largest auditorium. That is bad ass.

Just finished watching Trance which I really enjoyed. Pretty early into the film I guessed that I had it figured out and kept thinking I was right till I found that I was really wrong and ultimately pretty much completely wrong.Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, unless we're talking about Rosario Dawson, but still a fun and entertaining thriller.

And it really is just pure joy. Oddly enough though, I was one of the only people actively laughing at a lot of the jokes in the movie. Like, I was the one and only person laughing at the gag where Batman says that...

Emmett is the hero we deserve.

No one else laughed or even chuckled at that! How?! The movie was sold out. That's 350 seats full and I'm the only one laughing. Come on parents, show your kids it's ok to laugh and just enjoy yourselves.

How prescient was DEMOLITION MAN? Remember the scene where they go to dinner at Taco Bell, and the guy performing is singing old advertising jingles? I think there's even a radio station that only plays jingles at one point. Is that really so far removed from where we are today when so many of our hit songs were hit commercials first?

Shit, I had this conversation with a friend 10 years ago regarding consumer and industrial design.  It really nailed the smooth, plastic-y look that everything started to have post-iMac.  

It's possible the DVDVR board is propping up The Lego Movie's box office numbers by itself.

Well then let me add my two cents and say how much I loved it as well.  Seriously, I can't remember the last time I sat through a movie with such a fun and goofy grin on my face the entire time, during the times when I wasn't laughing out loud, that is.  The jokes were great, the actors really nailed the delivery, and the movie just created the most awesome world. I can't wait for rewatches to look for little things I'm sure I missed because I'm sure it's chock full of them.

I have ONE friend who hated it........the backlash against him (in good fun of course) on his Facebook from his friends has been amazing.  I came straight home from seeing it and left a message on his wall saying that he had been fooling me all these years into thinking he was a decent guy when in fact it turns out he's a horrible human being.

• Like 1

For years, I'd heard how Eddie Murphy Raw was amazing. I watched it last night. It wasn't. I barely cracked a smile. The Italian-American skit was funny, but everything else bored me to tears. Is this just one of those "had to be there" moments? Like, it was revolutionary at the time, and just doesn't hold up?

• Like 1

For years, I'd heard how Eddie Murphy Raw was amazing. I watched it last night. It wasn't. I barely cracked a smile. The Italian-American skit was funny, but everything else bored me to tears. Is this just one of those "had to be there" moments? Like, it was revolutionary at the time, and just doesn't hold up?

In my opinion, it did not age well at all. 

I feel the same way about Animal House. 

• Like 1

I feel similarly about Miami Vice. I still love watching it and really enjoy it but it comes off as incredibly dated. I was very surprised when going back and watching Magnum PI that it feels nowhere near as dated as Vice does.

To keep this about movies, Hackers is probably 1 of the most dated moves I've ever seen. However, it being absurdly dated opens up another avenue of entertainment while watching it because it becomes really funny.

• Like 1

Delirious is the really good one.

Mindhunters: This is basically another one of those And Then There Were None scenarios. All the FBI wannabes go to an island for training about how to profile and hunt serial killers and, who would have guessed, people suddenly start getting murdered one by one. LL Cool J is in this and plays the exact same role he always does. Also, is it just me or does Jonny Lee Miller instantly become 100x more blander when he does that not-very-good American accent? Val Kilmer and Christian Slater also show up, apparently for the paycheck.  Like most of these types of films, it starts out good, and just loses its way at the end.

I feel the same way about Animal House. 

What is with the Devil's lies going on in this thread?

When I was a kid, I had three magic VHS tapes.

They were the following:

Tape 1:

THE BLUES BROTHERS

ANIMAL HOUSE

THE BREAKFAST CLUB

Tape 2:

MEATBALLS

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION

COMMANDO

Tape 3:

CADDYSHACK

SIXTEEN CANDLES

WEIRD SCIENCE

Some of them were taped off of WTBS, so they were the one's with the cussing and boobs cut.  But I didn't care. My old man has some primitive switcher hooked up so I could put one of them in the VCR and go downstairs and watch on another t.v. in total privacy

I fell asleep to one or another of these tapes, with the remnants of a tombstone frozen pizza next to me, like, every night for...I don't know years.  It was a special kind of bliss. 

I can only hope that my death delirium carries me back there.

• Like 1

To keep this about movies, Hackers is probably 1 of the most dated moves I've ever seen. However, it being absurdly dated opens up another avenue of entertainment while watching it because it becomes really funny.

I'm not sure "dated"is the right word. That movie was completely ridiculous and not the slightest bit realistic the day it was released. Its awesomeness comes from how ridiculous it is.
  • Like 1

And it really is just pure joy. Oddly enough though, I was one of the only people actively laughing at a lot of the jokes in the movie. Like, I was the one and only person laughing at the gag where Batman says that...

Emmett is the hero we deserve.

No one else laughed or even chuckled at that! How?! The movie was sold out. That's 350 seats full and I'm the only one laughing. Come on parents, show your kids it's ok to laugh and just enjoy yourselves.

I completely missed that one. . . . 

As much as I enjoy movies like ghostbusters and other 1980's movies, its not like I can identify a lot jokes in them. Very entertaining, yes and I can watch most of them still, but the Beverly Hills cop movies? Its not like they are funny at all.

You have to authentically and deeply identify with the slacker character for them to work.  You can't fake it, though.  You've got to believe that dropping out and standing against the snobs and the institutions is accomplishing some sort of moral victory.

It seems grossly naive today, so it's hard to recreate that sense if you weren't there.  But if you were in tune with it, then everything they did was funny and awesome.