DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I started watching Friday Night Lights the other day, and while I'm enjoying the show I have to say that Lyla is just the fucking worst.  I can totally sympathize with how Tyra hated her.

Tyra basically running her over during that Powder Puff game was fucking awesome.

I'm on episode 2 of S2 right now.

Lyla IS the worst!  How did someone as awesome as Buddy Garrity raise such a humorless child?

Don't give up when FNL season 2 goes off the rails.  To borrow a line from Community, S2 is definitely the gas leak year.  The show really finds itself in seasons 3-5.

Hey Piranesi!  Really loved your Deadwood updates.  I'm a broken record at this point, but I have to ask, have you seen The Wire?  I feel like maybe you have, but I don't remember any related posts.

Anyways, it would be super cool if you wrote a whole bunch of words about it...

I didn't think season 2 was as bad as some other folks but it definitely does stuff that makes no sense.  Stick with it, ignore the age-changing they do of the various characters, and enjoy one of the greatest shows ever made.

Hey Piranesi!  Really loved your Deadwood updates.  I'm a broken record at this point, but I have to ask, have you seen The Wire?  I feel like maybe you have, but I don't remember any related posts.

I haven't watched it.  I just don't know if I can handle that level of real-world hopelessness, you know?  I mean it just sounds so goddamn depressing.

Friday Night Lights really begins to find itself again towards the back end of Season Two. You just have to get through the melodrama that the Network imposed on them for the first half of season two.

Seasons 3-5 are just wonderful television.

• Like 1

It's not all gloom and doom, my friend.  It's a show full of characters you would love and some of them even get a happy ending!

Sure, it has its fair share of tragedy, and yes it does shine a light on systemic problems, but it's also somehow a love letter to the people of Baltimore.   It manages to be a whole bunch of things at once.  I really need you to write like 40, 000 words on it or so....

• Like 2

Seriously, save yourself a few hours and just skip Friday Night Lights season 2. It's absolutely dreadful and basically every single thing that happened that season is completely ignored for the remainder of the series. The only reason to watch it is to make jokes later while watching the good seasons.

Just got done with Season 3 of Being Human the U.S version and this was a show I always wanted to like it just never really felt right. The first season was decent, the second season bored me to shit. I always felt like the Aiden character was a dick and Sally was annoying. This season however was really awesome. Top to bottom by far the best series of the show so far. Black Magic, Zombies, Werewoloves being giant, people being raised from the dead, nasty looking wolves instead of looking like my pet dog. 

Now its onto the new series Turn. I haven't heard a lot about it but I'm a sucker for period dramas. Next up after that is the Bitten show about Werewolves. 

Here's the problem with jumping on THE WIRE.  I'm trying to capitalize on DEADWOOD by watching as many westerns as possible while my wife is in the mood.  You gotta jump on that shit when the opportunity presents itself.  TOMBSTONE was a failure.  We lost ground there.  So I fell back tonight on a can't miss: UNFORGIVEN which bought me a few more evenings I think.

I have SILVERADO and THE WILD BUNCH , and DJANGO UNCHAINED up next, but I can't seem to find a copy or stream of THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES anywhere, goddammit.  She's already seen TRUE GRIT, THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY and ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and I don't know I can get her to sit through them again, but If everything goes well, I think I can push as far as THE SEARCHERS...but no farther.

But now she's making noise about JUSTIFIEDTHE WIRE may have to wait.  I GOTTA DO THIS WHILE SHE'S STILL IN THE MOOD, BOYS!

• Like 1

Piranesi just made the Mississippi Delta into the old West. Thanks, man. I knew my ninth grade state history teacher was fucking wrong.

You blew it by going Tombstone over Wyatt Earp. Only no good cretins would do that.

Piranesi just made the Mississippi Delta into the old West. Thanks, man. I knew my ninth grade state history teacher was fucking wrong.

You blew it by going Tombstone over Wyatt Earp. Only no good cretins would do that.

Ahem:  From the wikity page:

Django Unchained (/ˈæŋɡ/) is a 2012 American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino.

I think we can trust a website that can be edited by anyone over your so-called "state accredited educator."

• Like 1

But now she's making noise about JUSTIFIED.

Give the lady what she wants

Plus, Olyphant employs about half the cast of DEADWOOD over the course of the show, so it's like a feel good reunion sometimes.

I haven't watched it.  I just don't know if I can handle that level of real-world hopelessness, you know?  I mean it just sounds so goddamn depressing.

The show also has a surprising amount of humor and warmth. There's a humanity to it which makes life in this broken system worth living (for some), and which has made it a little easier for me to revisit the show over the years. 

I can't seem to find a copy or stream of THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES anywhere, goddammit. 

Probably for the best. That nine-hour slog could be a mood-killer. 

but I can't seem to find a copy or stream of THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES anywhere, goddammit. 

I picked up that one for cheap on DVD at a Wal Mart Black Friday sale a few years ago (i think it was like $3).

I have also found it for like $8 pretty easily over the years.

Here it is on Blu Ray for $10 or DVD for $5 (I rounded down slightly).