DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So episode 2 of THE STRAIN was better than the pilot by quite a bit IMO.

I really liked the last scene in terms of imagery.

Yeah, that last scene was creepy.

I'm kinda enjoying The Strain.  It's appropriately weird and it's a refreshingly retro look at vampires (i,e, evil bloodsuckers not emo mopers looking to settle down with a nice human girl).  So far, it's nothing great but marginally better than most of the scripted summer series I catch.

That said. I don't care an ounce about a single character on the show, and the summaries of the novels make me think I'm not interested in seeing this all play out.  I kinda think I'll get tired of it fairly quickly.

For a show in which all the actors are seemingly contractually obligated to say another characters name during any line of dialogue, I sure can't remember anyone on the Strain aside from Eph, which is only notable because literally no one has been called that ever. 

Last Week Tonight is basically a grimmer, less funny The Daily Show without the audience being forced to applaud and laugh by flashing signs. So, less entertaining overall sadly. It's still not bad but I had higher hopes for John.

Totally disagree. It's the daily show without filter and more time to develop its jokes for only being one a week. I'm blown away how good it is.

• Like 1

To use hepcat lingo:

American Dad>Cleveland Show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Current Family Guy

My problem with The Cleveland Show is that Cleveland's just not that interesting. You didn't really notice on Family Guy because he had Joe, Quagmire and Peter to play off of, but when he was given his own show it became clear. The Peter Griffin character gets trashed a lot but "sociopathic Homer Simpson" is still way more compelling than Cleveland's act.

And yes, Stan Smith is better than both of them by far.

I know why they went with him for a spin off (Joe's not that suitable and Quagmire's a rapist), but it just doesn't work. They should have gone with someone else.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I've never really cared for American Dad. I can't get into it. I've always thought Family Guy was way funnier. I have a love/hate relationship with Family Guy. Some jokes are just so fucking terrible I ask myself how I could ever watch this crap but the high notes are hilarious. I've never gotten the highs from American Dad.

• Like 2

If you've never been a fan of American Dad, you should see the Vietnam War re-enactment episode. That episode is amazing and is probably the best thing they've done.

Tearjerker is amazing too.

If you've never been a fan of American Dad, you should see the Vietnam War re-enactment episode. That episode is amazing and is probably the best thing they've done.

The episodes where they riff on a genre of movies/TV tend to be their best & most consistent episodes.

OK, so The Cleveland Show was generally awful, but I did find myself liking the Die Hard spoof they did a lot.

Uh no.....

In general, I didn't like the characters. The baby, in particular, was lame. I got what they were trying to do (a more grounded Family Guy) but I don't think they pulled it off.

It wasn't the disaster many seem to think, and even Family Guy made it out to be when Cleveland returned, but I thought it was disappointing.   

I could never get into Cleveland as it just reeked of plagiarism. Honestly it took me awhile to get into American Dad, but I far prefer that to the overdone recurring jokes and blatant and unfunny race/sexuality button-pushing Family Guy fell into. Probably the last thing Family Guy did well was the bank vault ep, which was great and quite the "very special episode" out of nowhere. 

Good to know we have Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty, and China, IL (among others) to pick up the slack.

Only thing I ever truly objected to about Family Guy was the "rape culture" aspect. Seth Macfarlene obviously needs to figure out his issue with women. 

The rest of the criticisms (after it came back from being cancelled) always seemed unfair to me. Too many cutaways? Well, it always had cutaways. They're part of the charm. I think the development of Stewie's character has been great, and way better than the "evil baby" stuff we got in the first three seasons too.

It's aged far better than The Simpsons, IMO.

I think American Dad is a good combination of Family Guy's wackiness and more grounded sitcoms.

Hayley is a pretty awful character though and Roger's very hit and miss.

Have to disagree, I've always found always Haley entertaining, but steve is more grating. . .

OK, so The Cleveland Show was generally awful, but I did find myself liking the Die Hard spoof they did a lot.

Uh no.....

I think that episode just proves how worthless the show was, that they could screw up a freaking Die hard parody

The episodes where they riff on a genre of movies/TV tend to be their best & most consistent episodes.

That and their insanely messed up christmas episodes.

Only thing I ever truly objected to about Family Guy was the "rape culture" aspect. Seth Macfarlene obviously needs to figure out his issue with women. 

The rest of the criticisms (after it came back from being cancelled) always seemed unfair to me. Too many cutaways? Well, it always had cutaways. They're part of the charm. I think the development of Stewie's character has been great, and way better than the "evil baby" stuff we got in the first three seasons too.

It's aged far better than The Simpsons, IMO.

Simpsons has been on for twice as long as Family Guy. . . .

Uh no.....

I think that episode just proves how worthless the show was, that they could screw up a freaking Die hard parody

Oh, come on. The Die Hard parody was good.

Especially the deal with the wig....

I finally sat down with this week's The Leftovers last night. While it wasn't as strong as last week's stellar episode, I thought it was another solid hour of television. The lack of buzz around this show is a little discouraging for a second season, but I think people these days have a hard time sitting through a show that is such an emotional downer.

I'm not sure if Six Feet Under would survive today's tv climate for that reason.

Anyone watch the Divide?  WE Network (first original scripted series, I think).  I didn't expect much since it's WE, but the first two eps have been rather good.  Probably the summer series I most want to see more of right now (not that there's a lot of competition for that from True Blood, Rizzoli & Isles, Under the Dome, etc.  Not sure there's another original summer show I particularly enjoy right now).