DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

Eh. I took HHH's initial comments as a general cranky old man "these kids today" comment that could apply to literally dozens of people. He basically threw a rock into a pack of dogs and one of them yelped. If he felt that it was about him, okay, fine, but you could take that to any other wrestler who they were in talks with but was hesitant based on the schedule or potential relocation or any other thing HHH meant by "the grind".

Also, Will Ospreay's the same guy who got a sexual abuse victim blackballed for trying to stick up for herself because said abuser was his buddy, so I have a hard time feeling bad for him. If anything, I feel bad for Alex Windsor for being with the knucklehead.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

They both said they were willing to relocate to the States as late as last fall though

"Willing to" and "Want to" are two very different things.

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

just saw "Monie in the Middle" by Monie Love on MTV Classic and realized "hey there's a reference to be made here involving Mercedes Mone if they want to make it in the future"

Considering how she has interjected herself between Willow and Julia by challenging the winner already, that reference should be very topical sooner than later.

• Like 1

It really would be Mone in the middle for her debut to be as a special referee (although I guess if she's not cleared to wrestle, being cleared to referee might not be easy either, especially since it would be lighting money on fire if she got hurt as a guest ref)

5 minutes ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 7 people and bangs

It's pretty weird that Tom Zenk had Brady Boone's high school hairdo for much of his career, while Boone himself went with more of a mullet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I take it all of those are not pictures as seniors and just ones they could find. Zenk looks like fucking McLovin in his picture while Brady Boone and Nikita look like 25 going on 35. Nord either could be 17/18 or 23.

• Like 2

Nikita straight up looks like a dude I went to High School and was on the wrestling team with.  Just with more hair.

• Like 1

If the artist in question wasn't "cancelled", there could be room for a T-shirt in wrestling with "I Don't See Nothing Wrong With a Little Bump N Grind". Matter of fact, surprised that there wasn't a PWG event titled that.

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Nikita straight up looks like a dude I went to High School and was on the wrestling team with.  Just with more hair.

...Did he talk like Nikita? Especially being on the wrestling team. 

I am just picturing a guy looking and built like Aleksandr Karelin tossing people around like little children but with a ridiculous, over the top phony accent.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Also, Will Ospreay's the same guy who got a sexual abuse victim blackballed for trying to stick up for herself because said abuser was his buddy, so I have a hard time feeling bad for him.

It came out a few years ago that Osprey wasn't the one behind the blackballing though he was still an asshole about the situation.

11 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

To your point, hardly anyone is working a work every day schedule anymore anyway. The most anyone worked in 2023 (per Cagematch, anyway), was Fuminori Abe with 224 matches, then after that you have a glut of Dragon Gate folks at 170ish

Cagematch doesn't do a good job gathering info on shows in Mexico.  From Luchablog:

There were 50 wrestlers were recorded as having at least 100 matches. (Stephanie Vaquer and Blue Rocket Jr. from Torreon came in at exactly 100 matches.) That’s up from 42 last year. 10 wrestlers had 150 or more matches:

196 Mistico
171 Jessy Ventura
165 Panterita/Mascara Dorada
162 Pig Destroyer
161 Volador Jr.
159 Ultimo Guerrero
158 Pig Destructor
158 Diva Salvaje
157 Atlantis Jr.
153 La Fashion

22 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, you carefully select one wrestler anything sounds suspect. Shit, Dom has 29 matches this year. He is clearly the high number. He is probably above and beyond any wrestler anywhere. Everyone else checking several people has between 10 to 20 ish.

You may not believe this but I legit only looked up one WWE guy and one AEW guy, based on who generally seems to be wrestling the most. If I happened to guess the person who worked the most for each company then... well then I watch too much wrestling but that's neither here nor there. If anything that means my feel is probably about right, that the typical WWE guy in a given spot is working a bit more than the equivalent in AEW. Neither of them are working the old WWE schedule thank god (or a current lucha schedule apparently), but the AEW guys who aren't working a bunch of indies are working a bit less and that's fine.

That said... since the comparison was brought up before and it seemed fair I looked up Rollins and in 2023 he worked just over a hundred matches, if Ospreay hits that number in a year in AEW even working the occasional NJPW show I will gladly say I'm completely wrong 🙂

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Curt was definitely sticking the Z-Man's head in the toilet that year. 

Curt looks mischievous as fuck, man. He looks like the dude who might set the whole school on fire.

41 minutes ago, username said:

You may not believe this but I legit only looked up one WWE guy and one AEW guy, based on who generally seems to be wrestling the most. If I happened to guess the person who worked the most for each company then... well then I watch too much wrestling but that's neither here nor there. If anything that means my feel is probably about right, that the typical WWE guy in a given spot is working a bit more than the equivalent in AEW. Neither of them are working the old WWE schedule thank god (or a current lucha schedule apparently), but the AEW guys who aren't working a bunch of indies are working a bit less and that's fine.

That said... since the comparison was brought up before and it seemed fair I looked up Rollins and in 2023 he worked just over a hundred matches, if Ospreay hits that number in a year in AEW even working the occasional NJPW show I will gladly say I'm completely wrong 🙂

You know if you wrestle 100 matches this year for WWE, they give you free Pizza Hut for a year.

That's either a reward or punishment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

Cagematch doesn't do a good job gathering info on shows in Mexico.  From Luchablog:

Without Googling it, Vaquer has wrestled against or with Lluvia, La Catalina, and Zeuxis like a billion times. She is also flying back and forth between countries every week and also between Mexico City and Guadalajara. She also wrestled AZM tonight at Windy City Riot. She is absolutely killing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Probably why Zenk got into lifting weghts to begin with...

Edited by Shartnado
Typo

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

you leave Z-man alone

Jacob Fatu did the time honored tradition of not showing up for his final indy booking tonight

on the subject of WWE tours they announced some new dates recently of note 4/21 is billed as Sunday Stunner, and 4/20 is Saturday Night Main Event. I'd guess that's attempting to counter program AEW, wonder if those air on Peacock 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

Still hilarious to me that hhh complains about "the grind" and cushy schedules when his champion wrestled 15 times last year lol

To be fair, Roman revealed this weekend, that he's on constant oral chemotherapy for his leukemia.