DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNASTY - 4/21/2024

38 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Will Ospreay vs. Bryan Danielson was a terrific match but I HATE when Bryan Danielson does the seizure sell and with his history, when doctors come in.

It wasn't a seizure sell. It was a neck sell.

Hopefully PAC can stay healthy. Kazuchika Okada vs. PAC was one of the best if not the best AEW PPV opening match. Only other I can think of is MJF vs. Darby Allin at AEW Full Gear 2021.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So apparently, Danielson was hurt on the Storm Driver? Is that accurate?

Kayfabe. Ospreay is a crazy good actor in the media scrum. It’s behind a paywall but I guess Fightful Select is saying it was a planned spot. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Kayfabe. Ospreay is a crazy good actor in the media scrum. It’s behind a paywall but I guess Fightful Select is saying it was a planned spot. 

Thanks for that. I didn't watch the pay-per-view tonight, and Ospreay's acting skills are definitely underrated.

Amazing show with a definite all timer in Ospreay/Bryan, lived up to the hype and then some.  Loved some of the flawless reversal sequences. The crowd was absolutely electric, loved the huge pop for the opening bell. I'm expecting the next 7 star breaker from Meltzer.  Ospreay was pushing being so upset that he injured Bryan on the Scrum and announced because of it, he was retiring the Storm Driver 91.

Bucks/FTR did a pretty good job keeping the crowd in to things.  Thought Swerve/Joe started slow but ended up good. Figured Swerve had to get the win but was still kinda wanting to see Joe retain and was dying for him to move away rather than having to sit and wait for the Stomp, but a great main event anyways. 

I love Jericho as FTW Champ and hope it leads to some fun stuff like we got with Jericho as ROH Champ.  Thought Toni/Thunder was very good even if never feeling the ending was in doubt. Hoping we get Toni vs Mina at Forbidden Door.  Timeless is always a highlight of the scrums. She tells Tony no matter how many matches she wins or stories she finishes, she will never call him to the ring to celebrate. 

Roderick/Kyle was good solid stuff.  Willow/Julia seemed very short for being the ending of Julia's reign.  Great trios tag and an epic opener from Okada/Pac.  Also really loved the OC/Shibata vs STP tag on the preshow and thought the trios unification bout was a lot of fun. Great finishing sequence where Jay White finally got to slay the Gunn.   Overall, definitely another strong show as usual from the PPVs. 

@DaveMeltzerWON
"Ospreay won with the hidden blade. If you see one match this good in your life as a wrestling fan, you should consider yourself blessed."

@bryanalvarez
"Ospreay beat Danielson in probably the greatest match that has ever taken place in the United States."

• Like 6

Ospreay vs Danielson was maybe the best match I’ve ever seen. Off the top of my head I think it was better than Okada vs Omega 2/3 falls or Bucks vs Hangman/Omega. And I started getting that feeling halfway through that match not even knowing there was a whole other half coming. 

And the craziest thing is that it happened on a night where Okada vs PAC fucking RULED. Dickhead Okada is just the best. 

• Like 5

To add to the craziness, those two matches, one of them being the best match in AEW’s history and maybe in wrestling history, happened on the same show where AEW had their worst match in their history with Jericho vs Hook. Jericho needs to go away on a long vacation and transform himself again.

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One last thing.  YouTube is the way to go.  Flawless 1080p picture the whole way. No blurring and no fuck ups.  

I'm definitely going YouTube next time, I wish they had promoted that option more beforehand. 

Dragon/Ospreay was worth the price of admission alone. Great finish outside of the fake Bryan selling.

Jericho/Hook was absolutely terrible. Every single move Jericho hit looked like crap and he's looking really rough in general. Would be nice if he took the FTW belt home and stayed there for the rest of the year. 

It was nice to see Swerve win but I'll miss Joe as champ. 

This was my first time seeing Okada and what a treat! Turning the crowd near the end was expertly done, dude has so much charisma. PAC was awesome as always. Has PAC wrestled Danielson yet? 

Overall another great AEW show, outside of that painful middle. Thanks to everyone in the discord too

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hopefully PAC can stay healthy. Kazuchika Okada vs. PAC was one of the best if not the best AEW PPV opening match. Only other I can think of is MJF vs. Darby Allin at AEW Full Gear 2021.

I get that it was Okada's first PPV match, so there was no way that he was going to lose. But, holy hell, this Pac/Okada thing needs to be a full blown title program. *IF* that Bastard can stay healthy and if he's going to be able to stick around long term.

• Like 2

C’mon now, guys. I expect this place to be a lot more knowledgeable than to go down the social media hyperbole vortex regarding Jericho/Hook. It wasn’t even bad, let alone nearly as bad as the Jericho/Cole PPV match last year, and certainly nowhere close to the company’s worst match ever. Billy Gunn vs. Jay White wasn’t even a month ago, and that was way worse and more counterproductive than this match.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I really don't know what match you watched, but Jericho/Hook was BAD, in every sense.  I don't know if Jericho sandbagged Hook on teh suplexes, or Hook couldn't get him over.  But it was like, really really bad, and stuck out horribly on a PPV where everything else ranged from delivered to way overdelivered.

I thought Jericho/Hook was a solid ** match. Making it plunder-based was the right way to go as it helped cover for Jericho's speed and Hook's lack of experience. Jericho was having some decent matches not that long ago so I haven't "given up" on him like many on the Internet. Since he won't take a break, I am hoping this FTW storyline rejuvenates him a bit as to me his main issue the last few months is he's just kinda been floating around with no storyline and that lack of interest has bled over into his matches. I don't mind "old wrestler that can't let go and thinks he is awesome even though he isn't" as a character but they need to be smarter about his opponents/match types or no one will be interested.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

Dragon/Ospreay was worth the price of admission alone. Great finish outside of the fake Bryan selling.

Jericho/Hook was absolutely terrible. Every single move Jericho hit looked like crap and he's looking really rough in general. Would be nice if he took the FTW belt home and stayed there for the rest of the year. 

It was nice to see Swerve win but I'll miss Joe as champ. 

This was my first time seeing Okada and what a treat! Turning the crowd near the end was expertly done, dude has so much charisma. PAC was awesome as always. Has PAC wrestled Danielson yet? 

Overall another great AEW show, outside of that painful middle. Thanks to everyone in the discord too

Let us know if you want any Kazuchika Okada matches recommendations as I've watched a lot of his. Bryan Danielson hasn't wrestled PAC yet in AEW. Looking on Cagematch, they've only ever had one match: ROH, 24th August 2007.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Assuming still its all a work, I enjoy these comments from Ospreay:

“I’m super glad that everybody enjoyed the match. A little bit of a dampener on how it’s all kinda the dust has settled now. I’ve reviewed the footage myself, it seems Bryan got hurt on the Storm Driver [Tiger Driver ‘91] and I didn’t see the doctor call. The referee called for the doctor and I didn’t see it. So I want to apologize on that. Obviously, within the confines of wrestling I do... in the ring it’s more or less your life versus mine, until you kind of see it staring at you in the face of what I did, and honestly I feel awful about this.

“So, even though like 90% of the time that move’s been absolutely fine, seeing the damage that it’s kind of done, I’m gonna retire using the Storm Driver ‘91. I don’t think it’s right for me to continue using it after seeing what it did to Bryan, someone that I’ve got like huge amounts of respect for. This was kind of my dream match, this was something that I’ve wanted since I was kid, bruv. So to see the outcome, although I’m happy everyone enjoyed the match, I’m kind of disappointing in myself. So once again I apologize to Bryan, I apologize to AEW medics, I apologize to Tony [Khan]... sorry, it’s proper fucking with me, mate,”

I like it because he has probably been doing the move too much so now he has a reason to "retire" it, plus now if he needs a super finisher in six months or a year he has it in his back pocket as the move that always wins for him. Good stuff.

• Like 5

I just can't get on board with the hate on Danielson's selling. Half the guys on the indies do twitching selling they just aren't good at it. I'm not going to turn on the guy because his selling is good. I refuse.

• Like 7