DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 3/25 - 3/31/2024 - Every Becky Wants To Rule The World

Sick day Raw over here. A Cody Rhodes promo where he boasts about all his humble friendly gestures had me really wanting for the elite boobirds. Everybody point towards the sign! Ugh. Cody should run back the US v UK feud in the Universe. It would clearly work. I ffwd thru the Rock staredown. *fart sound. Loved seeing them runback McDonagh v Riccochet. These two have great chemistry. Ricc has a neat skillset, but leaves a lot to be desired as a character. They oughtta find him a suitable tag partner to offset his weaknesses. CM Punk/McIntyre/Freakin promo was far more hit and miss for me than most. Rollins is always insufferable on the mic. Punk sounded petulant here. Getting all hot and bothered by Drew. The skirt line was lame, as was a lot of his drippy promo, but at every turn there was Drew McIntyre, cool and collected, saving the bit. Lamest of all - a nod to Cornette? Very progressive! What was it he and his lackey were saying about Janel Grant? Further, what was Punk thinking playing up the guest ref spot he can't do? Anyway, Drew was outstanding as per usual. Skimmed passed most of Freakin, and much of the next hour or so. I'd love to see Vinci v Andrade get some time. Judgment Day beatdown felt like a solid Heyman booking as does a lot of the better stuff on here. Ripley/Lynch promo I caught the end of. Great punch from Lynch on Dirty Dom. I love Ripley, but not into her playing a cool heel for Lynch to drown. Not the strongest creative. Zayn/Gable skits were goofy like any magic camera skit, but I would never deny Zayn's abilities. So wait, Gable, arguably the best wrestler in the company doesn't have a match on WM? Dying for him to jump across the aisle. Zayn v Reed was fun while it lasted. I so wish criminally underrated Reed had stuck around NJPW for a year. I could not care any less about Uso v Nakamura, so skimmed passed. I loved the closing angle as all of you. 'Tears in the Rain' indeed! Rock is as wonderful as all of you have already said. It's always fun to see Goofy Rhodes take a beating. Lots of WWE brand product to skip here, but a bit of fun mixed in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

This was beautiful. 

That is so incredibly different. It's like comparing a TV sitcom to the over-the-building tracking shot in Argento's Tenebrae. 

Rocky definitely had some kinda Cro-Magnon cadence going on in his language that I couldn't place. I'm not sure about "slave owner" and certainly didn't get Tarantino as an Australian saying "shut up, bleck (black)" to Jamie Foxx.

I forgot to mention that in my post last night. That long camera shot was so beautiful. Just followed the action and let it speak for it self. Under Kevin Dunn there would have been probably 50 cuts back and forth in 45 seconds. It's nice not to have motion sickness while watching the WWE.

• Like 3

I have to ask... am I the only one getting flashbacks to WALTER/Starr/Devlin in this whole Gunther/Gable/Sami deal? I swear I can see Gable seconding Sami at Mania, Sami close to pulling off the win and Gable yanking him off the pin at the last second as he swore to his daughter that he'd be the one to beat Gunther, that this just means more to him.

I swear to God, if we get Wolf Dogs vs Good Bros when we COULD have an Axiom/Frazer rematch or Dogs vs LWO...ahem. Anyway.

--Dijak/Spears was a pretty good match. The Gacy interference for the finish was painful, but the payoff with Gacy on the roof was probably the first time his shtick has actually made me smile. I am, however, disappointed that all the big guys getting in Oba's grill had to be whittled down to 2; I was hoping for a North American multi-man challenge like last year, but this time with mostly big ass dudes instead of mostly nimble smaller guys. 

--Hail vs Nyx I didn't pay that much attention to for a variety of reasons. Nyx has the look and is a good sidekick for Jacy, we'll see how she turns out as a worker and personality. 

--I thought the video packages for the Women's title and Trick v Melo were awesome. The fact that Trick has family in Philly and he lived there for a while just reinforces that this should have been for the title. 

--Ilja vs Stacks was a great angle to set up the title match at SAD.

--if Ridge's departure is a work, then it makes sense (in the context of the angle, not wrestling logic more broadly). If it's real, then it almost feels like the last 4 months of his booking have been people trying to pressure him into it. I wasn't watching when he fucked up Big E, and I don't blame fans or other pros for holding it against him, but reducing him to a sad sack who's terrified of maiming an opponent instead of merely beating him bad enough to pin him is so unnecessary when they could just release him.

--wow, Nat won a match. 

--didn't pay enough attention to Duke/Josh. 

--has anyone called the Orlando hospitals to see if Tozawa's okay? Jesus. 

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

--if Ridge's departure is a work, then it makes sense (in the context of the angle, not wrestling logic more broadly). If it's real, then it almost feels like the last 4 months of his booking have been people trying to pressure him into it. I wasn't watching when he fucked up Big E, and I don't blame fans or other pros for holding it against him, but reducing him to a sad sack who's terrified of maiming an opponent instead of merely beating him bad enough to pin him is so unnecessary when they could just release him.

It's a work according to Sapp.

• Like 1

Solid episode overall. Nyx held up her end and it looks like we're building to a big tag with Kiana/Izzy/Jacy and Kelani/Fallon/Thea. If they pull in Nyx I guess the faces can bring in Brinley or Wren?

Trick has IT.

For the sake of Sol's character development I really hope she doesn't come out smiling next week and do her entire entrance routine. The story calls for anger.

Stacks' match essentially being a kamikaze mission to hurt Ilja's chopping hand was smart.

20 hours ago, Kang said:

WWE Speed will have its own Championship. The show airs on Wednesday.

obviously the main heel on Speed should be a guy who wins the Speed title and then resolves to retain it over and over with time limit draws

• Like 4

Because my dad decided to randomly delete my set recording I missed the first 2/3 of NXT and waited until today to catch the stream and what I got on my DVR.

Dijak/Spears was solid though it felt weird seeing Dijak bust out the flying for a guy of Spear's size and caliber. He also seemed to fuck up Spear's knee on that first dive. I hope Dijak is smarter about picking his moments for this stuff in the future.

Thea/Jazmyn was pretty decent with Nyx mostly handling herself well and getting in a decent showcase. Dug the post match brawl with Jacy, Izzi, Kiana, Kelani, and Fallon. Hope whatever big tag is getting built happens at Stand & Deliver. The women earned the spot with the work everyone has put into the division the past year.

Lola/Nattie was mostly solid outside a few awkward pauses that I assume comes from two people not being used to each other. Don't dislike the idea of Nattie back in NXT. Always thought she moved on too soon during her last visit.

Ilja/Stacks was good fun. Kind of like Stacks' goal mainly being there to maim Ilja and add a weak point for Tony to attack in the coming title match.

Briggs/Duke was another solid match though I wish Duke had won. Briggs still does little for me and feels like he would be better cast as a heel. I did like Oba announcing the NA title match a triple threat. Femi feels like the exact type who would welcome the challenge opposed to usual champ being pissed over it.

The Roxanne & Trick/Melo vids were great and did a fine job of building their respective matches. Lyra's vid was less good. It wasn't bad, but it continues to push how out of place Lyra feels as a face. Lyra came across as pretty damn arrogant in her vid, especially as she tried to paint her situation as black and white when Roxanne rightly called Lyra out for dodging a proper defense against her after Vengeance Day. Roxanne had lyra beat twice that night and was blatantly screwed both times. As much as Roxanne is killing it as a heel I do still think they would have been smarter to turn Lyra instead. Could have easily had her manipulating Tatum. 

WolfDogs vs. Alpha Academy was damn good stuff as expected and MOTN. Still amazes how well Corbin and Bron mesh as a a team and personalities in general.

Enjoyable matches and segments with some standouts in the promo vids for S&D and the main event. Good show.

Edited by Eivion

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

obviously the main heel on Speed should be a guy who wins the Speed title and then resolves to retain it over and over with time limit draws

Absolutely should be on a crusher/explosive powerhouse - put it on Bron.

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

Absolutely should be on a crusher/explosive powerhouse - put it on Bron.

Bron apparently has the fastest rope to rope time in the WWE. He would be perfect for speed especially with that spear of his.

Big appetite for wrestling this week led me to a rare viewing of NXT. Kinda blown away by the Dijak v Spears opener. I'd heard good things, and was interested. I've always appreciated Spears as a good hand, but he seemed to transcend that job filing here. The where's my chair bit was silly, but fine. Those overhand chops from Dijak! Spears as good as he was here, should drop the dramatic Chairman entrance. It's corny and doesn't fit him. I skipped to Dragunov v Stacks, and again enjoyed what I saw. Fun seeing Dragunov in a TV match like this. I've only ever seen him in epics. I love his selling and bumping to which this was a great showcase. The Ridge Holland retirement was way better than I'd expected from the little talk I heard. Very natural and Holland completely pulled it off. Ffwd to the Corbin/Bron v Tozawa/Otis Main Event. This Corbin/Bron team is just tremendous. Otis is a fun sports entertainer and good meat man. Fun, fun, fun TV match. Loved the table spot and everything the Wolf Dogs did on offense. Amusing pre-match Corbin/Bron/Good Bros skit. Bron seems better off in a team, but Corbin badly needs a makeover. He always looks so pasty (as discussed) and generic (he routinely sports some of the worst looking ring wear in the game - somebody help him). Perhaps the tattoos look better to others. Lastly, the Prime Target Trick Williams/Carmelo Hayes Videos! This is the future of pro wrestling, and I'm not talking abut the two blue chippers being promoted. All broadcasts should strive for promotional work as good as these. Pleasant surprise from NXT!