DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/12/2024 - The Last Great American Dynasty

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'll take a million Brandi Rhodes Nightmare Collective promos (…) over Swerve and them having to give Shakespearean soliloquies

you’re fucking insane

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

The Tony Khan smiles and then Okada’s teethy grin on the handshake popped me. The Bucks are watchable for me when they’re assholes who then go on to eat shit, and if the end game is Okada/Omega at Wembley??? I’ll be in to that. 

Ospreayism is not my cup of tea, but Bryan giving him the Kenny at Arthur Ashe treatment? Yes, please. 

Wardlow as fodder for Joe is gonna be good, and I do see him doing something that makes Joe more vulnerable to Swerve for his eventual title match. 

And then it’s Bawse Time next week? Yessir. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

you’re fucking insane

Hard agree, and I make no secret of it - but I assure you I'm serious! I'll take "different" any day over what could've essentially been a segment from any RAW from 1998-20??.

And again, to focus on the positives: @Just Davemade a great point on the last page, it's not an every week thing (yet) and probably ain't that big of a deal - for me, it was just the totality of the long show opening promo AND the set-up for a same-night match AND the feuding partners trope AND the Nickelodeon LEDs all over the place.

But what I should really focus on coming out of it: all the right guys were involved, Wardlow was treated like a threat, crowd's behind Swerve, Samoa FN Joe is still our WHC... there's lots to love about the players, it just wasn't the segment for me. The rest of the show ruled ass though, I hope we can at least agree there!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

They have but if you don't like the WWE house style it's still a tough go. Jey Uso is the wrestling opposite of someone like Will Ospreay

Heh, you wanna talk polar opposites, you did a good job there. Thankfully most everyone else is somewhere between them instead of right next to them.

I really don't have a problem with a lot of WWE matches from the characters I'm familiar with these days. The gimmicks on NXT bug the shit out of me, and I don't pay attention to any of the talking on any of the shows, but the in-ring work is hunky dory and there are even a handful of people I will unmute the channel or actively take time out to watch (Sami, Nak, Drew, Owens, but especially Bayley and her former crew, GUNTHER, Baby Regal, and the Russian. And Sheamus whenever the hell he isn't injured). 

3 hours ago, Just Dave said:

But, at least hhh isn’t a completely reprehensible human…

That we know of. 

• Like 1

Collision is taping tonight, not airing live on Saturday. And they've added Mistico vs Angelico to the show.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Danielson vs Shane Taylor

This is gonna be killer. 

Wonder what the over/under on the weirdness level of the CMLL matches is gonna be. Mistico isn't quite a llave worker. Tee-tawn versus Jericho? Well, there is enough of him to base with, I suppose.

• Like 2

A very fun show. The main event was very my kind of wrestling! A casual avalanche poison rana! Fuck yeah!

Young Bucks were on fire! I thought they would fine Hangman something like 250 bucks, but they suspended him from "the Elite" and acted like it was from AEW. Firing Omega from "The Elite" as well. I guess they want to be the big stars in the group, and then welcome Okada into the fold. Smart move, there!

I also missed the "We're NOT sorry,  we hate you!" to Sting the first time. That was awesome!

Okada-Eddie and Bryan-Ospreay should both be a bunch of fun.

Darby acknowledged that he may not return alive from Everest. Please do NOT take the skateboard with you! That was a joke, not a suggestion!

I like the look of the new graphics and set. It feels distinctive in a way a bunch of screens and lasers didn't.

Show had a real energy. Things were happening. And that's one thing AEW has been missing. I thought the opening was good. I thought the close was good. I thought the top of the hour segment was good. If we could get TK to switch the formula up and sometimes throw in some shorter matches / a squash or two AEW would be cooking.

ALL IN looking like Okada vs Omega, and maybe Ospreay vs Swerve for the title. Add a Nigel vs Bryan match, Mercedes vs Jamie Hayter for the title, & like Pac vs Samoa Joe & you have a KILLER show.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

At least Kevin Kelley will harp at length about Jericho's beef with LIJ.

Or will he?

Kevin (@avalanchestyle)

• Like 5

Okada vs Kingston is cool and Okada will surely go over, but seeing Eddie awkwardly stand there while Okada grabbed his wrist from behind to set up the Rainmaker looked hilariously forced. Like when Brock returned and F5'd Cena and Cena just looked like he was in the middle of shower thoughts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is gonna be killer. 

Wonder what the over/under on the weirdness level of the CMLL matches is gonna be. Mistico isn't quite a llave worker. Tee-tawn versus Jericho? Well, there is enough of him to base with, I suppose.

They might Llave it out.  I think Titan's matwork is pretty good, and would keep Jericho from blowing up.

• Like 2

I really enjoy Ospreay it you don’t need to strap a rocket to him and give him the belt because he has a lot of feuds he can do before then to keep him busy and near the top of the card. Swerve has earned his shot to make a run with the belt. Hell, Swerve-Ospreay might be so weird it’s great.

Stat losing to Riho is comical and dumb booking.

Love Fletcher and I really enjoyed that match, actually less bombs than Ospreay-Lard Lad. Can’t believe Bruv was actually cleared after the kidney buster on Sunday.

The impromptu tag did a great job of advancing the Swerve-Joe storyline but made the Kingdom look like lower mid-card.

Okada turning heel and joining with the Bucks is interesting.

Jericho clout vampiring Hook is fucking hilarious. Hook and Cage have a 2023 style WWE “street fight”, and I think they have basically killed using thumbtacks for a few months. Either that, or someone is going to have to go full Hellraiser with tacks to get them back over.

I didn’t hate the show, and I have to remember that the shoes after big PPVs are angle and promo heavy. 

Last night's show was really good. The Young Bucks going full corporate is the best thing they have done in ages. Okada as a member of The Elite should be interesting and I'm all ready looking forward to him vs. Kingston. One thing that annoyed me was they should have promoted the hell out of his debut. Another run in surprise just isn't going to cut it these days. 

Osprey is on another level. That match with Fletcher was really good. I loved the tease for him and Danielson at the very end. That match should be awesome.

• Like 1

There are surprisingly few deathmatch wrestlers who'll take thumbtacks to the forehead. Foley did, when tacks were more or less brand new, and lots will take tacks to the top of the head (via DDT usually, or if they're doing Fans Bring the Weapons and someone brought a wiffleball bat with tacks glued on).

See, this is the problem. Nothing involving that move or the result of it should evoke the term "casual". 

Well, I do see where you are coming from with that and of course, it didn't help that he did that to his best friend and stable mate, when stuff like that would probably be best reserved for someone who took a dump on your kitten and made you watch. But maybe this is again Ospreay's character being dumb as rocks and he doesn't know any better. He'll just hit anything on anyone, since that's how he's wired?

See, this is the problem. Nothing involving that move or the result of it should evoke the term "casual". 

I'm not usually one to harp on videogame-style matches but like... if you're not gonna suddenly put Fletcher in the main event scene, why the hell is he kicking out of SO much of Ospreay's most dangerous looking shit?! It's one thing with Takeshita because he's got an aura of "could be THE guy" to him, but Kyle, bless his heart, isn't in that category even by the standards of most AEW smart-mark fans. Mutual respect aside, it was a very odd choice, and if HE can endure that much, somebody higher up the ladder should theoretically have a much easier time beating Will. 

• Like 3

I can DEFINITELY get with "being as dumb as a box of rocks" as character motivation here. 

Regarding Coletti's post, since they started at 10, there is really no higher to go in intensity/movez/no-selling-silliness etc. I suppose when you stick him in with Omega or Okada again you can say "but this one goes to 11". But until then, it's either everybody gets squashed after five finishers in a row, or... what? Can he work a different match? Suppose Danielson will be the test of that.

• Like 1

Big Business/Dynasty spoilers for Collision (taped tonight)

Spoiler

Danielson challenges Ospreay to a match at Dynasty

PAC & Penta save Kingston from an Okada & the Bucks beat down - six man tag made for Big Business