DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

35 minutes ago, EVA said:

Jack has been pretty upfront about loving wrestling for the in-ring and not really caring about promos, thus never really putting any effort into getting better until the past year or two. If I’m remembering correctly, the original concept of the Jungle Boy character was that he would be mostly mute for precisely that reason.

I actually liked Jungle Boy more before he started working on his promos. He was so bad it was oddly charming. Now he's just sort of okayish, which is a lot less interesting.

Yeah it seemed like Jack was pretty fucking popular here and elsewhere up until the gimmick change and the unfortunate shit with Punk and Wembley. The way certain people have acted like he's been garbage the entire time is kind of hilarious. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sunglasses and leather jacket to get across the point that he's a rich Hollywood asshole is really hacky.  Might as well have gone all the way and changed his name to "Hollywood Jack Perry." 

Honestly, turning him heel was a dumb move.  The catalyst for his turn was weak -- he was jealous of Hook for his made-up title!  And he was just better as a fiery whitemeat babyface. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Sunglasses and leather jacket to get across the point that he's a rich Hollywood asshole is really hacky.  Might as well have gone all the way and changed his name to "Hollywood Jack Perry." 

Honestly, turning him heel was a dumb move.  The catalyst for his turn was weak -- he was jealous of Hook for his made-up title!  And he was just better as a fiery whitemeat babyface. 

Oh, totally agreed, he's absolutely a thousand times better as the plucky good guy, but the leather jacket doesn't negate what came before it.

Edited by Coletti
Typo (as, not than)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I will flat out admit I loved Jurassic Express as a team.  I feel those two have infinitely more value as a team than separate.  

Babyface Jack trying to get Luchasaurus out from under Christian's control could be good stuff.

• Like 3

On one hand, I feel like I want to say you need to have a plan for someone after a heel turn that's something more than "dress as generic heel #4379 and insult the fans" BUT, because all the Punk bullshit went down, we can't fairly say they had no plan because we never got to see it.  Where was Perry supposed to go after Hook got his comeuppance? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I will flat out admit I loved Jurassic Express as a team.  I feel those two have infinitely more value as a team than separate.  

Yeah, Luchasaurus is a great hot tag guy and below replacement level on pretty much everything else.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

As much as I love the Christian stuff(though I'm beginning to agree with taking the belt off of him), I think it could go forward without Luchasaurus involved.  Christian, Nick and Mama Wayne are fine on their own.

Christian needs a heater of some type. He talks way too much shit, and without Killswitch it wouldn't make sense for every babyface on the roster to just jump him constantly for it. If not Luchasaurus, he needs a big man of some kind. That's what I'd do with Hager tbh...

• Like 2

I think the criticisms of Jungle Jack are less that he 'crossed Punk' so much as his unprofessionalism (along with Punks' and others) contributed to the chaos backstage during one of the most crucial periods for AEW. I thought he was fine but bland as a babyface and could've used something to switch things up, who knows if a heel turn and House of Torture is the solution but it's something new and to me that's a positive 

1 hour ago, Coletti said:

Yeah it seemed like Jack was pretty fucking popular here and elsewhere up until the gimmick change and the unfortunate shit with Punk and Wembley. The way certain people have acted like he's been garbage the entire time is kind of hilarious. 

Granted, it was mostly due to Baltimora and the idea of a Luchasaurus that made Jungle Boy one of my biggest favorites in all of AEW, but I was definitely aboard that (jurassic) express! Once he turned, I pretty much hated him as much as I used to like him as a face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coletti said:

I definitely think there’s a strong recency bias here due to the Pillars feud flop and the All In debacle being the last strong memories people have of Perry. But he was one of the top in-ring guys in AEW as a pure babyface for years, and I really think he was finding himself as a heel just before everything went sideways.

• Like 7

IMO, Perry’s heel run is garbage. Or was? I don’t know. I didn’t enjoy it, but it did give us an RVD comeback so that’s awesome. Thank you.

They fucked up when they broke up Jurassic Express. Both are kind of just there as far as acts go. Luchasaurus might be attached to a hot act, but he’s the least important part of it. Perry’s heel heat now is just from referencing All In and he’ll get a pass from people for that because Punk man bad.

• Like 1

Jack was fun when he was the go-to upper midcard underdog/hero of the children, but when he was asked to do more - mainly, be a competent and believeable promo - he couldn't. He couldn't sell a program, he couldn't garner main event heat, he couldn't tell a story unless a vet like Christian was telling it for him. And he's one of several day-one AEW guys who hit that wall.

Good in-ring, solid character and/or mic work, physical credibility. You need two out of three, and he has one. Granted the heel turn seemed like a plan to help him develop the second point.

• Like 2

Tunnels are back!

Re: Perry: I actually thought his performance against HOOK was quite good and there might have been something there as a heel. He worked the match very differently than he would have as a face. Ah well. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

He’s handsome, physically fit, famous, and rich.

Hope this helps.

Being the son of a famous person doesn’t make you famous. Being an irrelevant cog that nobody misses in a wrestling company with 750K core audience also doesn’t make you famous. 

The implication that Anna Jay would be after his daddy’s money is unfounded and women dating men because they’re rich is a misogynistic trope unfairly used to malign women. 

The “it’s the hair” guy above was more helpful and his comment was actually funny. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Tunnels are back!

Re: Perry: I actually thought his performance against HOOK was quite good and there might have been something there as a heel. He worked the match very differently than he would have as a face. Ah well. 

Yes! The Hook matches were good! People forget.

• Like 1

Santana got bad advice. Only way to say it. As for Ortiz, his best hope is forming another team. Maybe with TAFKA No Way Jose…

13 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Santana got bad advice. Only way to say it. As for Ortiz, his best hope is forming another team. Maybe with TAFKA No Way Jose…

Bring in Bad Dude Tito and team Ortiz with him. Team Tito Ortiz!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6