DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/14 - 2/20/2024 - When A Hangman Loves A Woman

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

Where Wardlow is with his career right now, is the same place Billy Gunn was in in 97, right before he and Road Dogg formed the New Age Outlaws.

Dax won’t be happy, but we gotta bring in Roaddogg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think the big knock on Taven and Bennett is that their presentation is usually pretty dull, not that they're bad in the ring. They remind me of ReDragon, except they aren't quite at the level where they can pull off a "wrestling speaks for itself" gimmick. Still, Taven's definitely the KOR of the team who has a much higher singles ceiling and is generally underrated. I appreciated that the graphics department found a suitably psychotic looking picture of him for this match and he was a great choice for a TV main with OC who always delivers. Both guys and the story were elevated here, really pro work from everyone.

Hangman using Dril tweets as promo material got a real lol from me.

Maria helped a lot with the presentation of The Kingdom in ROH back in the day (god, that's like 10 years ago).

• Like 4

- I think things went south with Wardlow when TK started booking him immediately as a super-over, crowd-pleasing babyface instead of letting him be a "tweener" for longer after the feud with MJF. The feud with MJF was personal and it worked because his motivation was to get out of a contract he had. He wasn't fighting for a greater good, he was fighting to free himself from MJF's rule. But then, IIRC, he went into a program with QT Marshall and a bunch of goons and it felt really forced. They skipped a few steps, IMO, to get him over as a post-Evolution Batista when, really, they needed to almost rewind on him after the MJF feud, have him steamroll folks (heel and face), and stay silent, maybe even teasing that he was still a selfish heel.

- With Hobbs, what sucks is that he clearly has "it" but always ends up in some stable where either other guys are getting pushed harder (Takeshita and Ospreay now) or the stable itself is a lower midcard act. Hobbs should be even easier to book than Wardlow, in my opinion, because I do think he is generally more interesting in-ring and has a more intimidating heel look. Hobbs should've come off beating Jericho with a bunch more fairly big victories and they just didn't do it. I know you can't push everyone at the same time, but he's gotta be a bigger priority and should have more than just one signature win by now. 

• Like 2

Disagreed. What killed Wardlow was the lack of direction or plan post-MJF feud. For months he was either not on TV or still squashing jobbers. Should've been defending the title in dominant but non-squash matches on a regular basis.

I was actually thinking how much more sense the Devil storyline would've made with Wardlow in the Samoa Joe role. Not that Wardlow is a better choice as champ than Joe, no one's making that argument, but in an alternate reality it could've worked.

• Like 1

Swerve is as cool as the otherside of the pillow, Hanger looks like a man who ownes multiple "free mustache rides" trucker hats, you hear dem boos? that's for turning your back on Hungie

Apparently Dave is big mad darby said mean things about his sons.

Loved the ECW style run ins in the main event, Taven may never be a star but he's a very solid meat and potatoes style good hand

• Like 3

The Bucks shaved off their heel moustaches, and instead now have long Soul Patches... like Sting does.

I bet they dress up as Sting at some point in the next three weeks.

• Like 2

Totally missed that. But anything involving the Finger Banger Scissor Bros will make me stop watching the TV screen. (Hey, now Gamera is on! And he's fighting a squid! And there's Elvira's tits! Hey Cassie!)

I turned the show on just as Sammy was ascending the ropes. Yeah, that was an evil landing. Only a broken nose; I thought his jaw would have snapped off. 

Speaking of tits, you're gonna have to explain "Naughty Spoon" to me. Funny that both Moxley and Renee were almost cracked by their fellow wrestlers in two consecutive segments, and Mox cracked because of a reference to Renee. 

• Like 1

Best part of Rampage was DO doing the Fargo Strut, they need to lean more into these guys being lovable goofballs

The Queen wins!!! She's really looked impressive lately a welcome addition now lets get the ladies multiple matches on the shows.

Nice to see Dustin get a win!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

There’s no way this isn’t on Danielson’s to-do list, even if not in AEW. 

I would gladly travel and pay to see it.  I've seen two Kasai matches live

One was CZW's Un F'n Believable which was Him and Nick Mondo v Johnny Kashmere and Justice Pain in 2001

and the second was Gage/Kasai this past New Years Eve in GCW.  I'd love to see him v Danielson just for the stylistic clash.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Evil Otto said:

Excalibur with a Narduwar reference and I totally geeked out.  (Most likely because I am a geek.)  

I missed that, what did he say?

Didn’t expect much from Rampage and so even though it wasn’t great it overdelivered, especially the random ass promos.

Sammy-Hardy was reckless and sloppy, but I will say that the botched SSP was a little more complicated than just a blown regular spot. That said, if all Jeff got was a broken nose that’s good because it looked like he had a broken cheekbone and I was worried it could even be an orbital. They really didn’t need to have that GTH after that.

I hadn’t even put together the history behind a Rhodes-Von Erich team up. Dustin did all the work, and I suspect the jobbers are students of his. I’ll never complain about seeing Dustin Rhodes wrestle.

Aminata-Anna was MOTN. Anna has improved, Aminata has been doing pretty well on her run and I did like that this one wasn’t a foregone conclusion. They maybe could have leaned more into the Queenslayer against an opponent named Queen Aminata. We need an Aminata-Emi Sakura match now. Also loved how the crowd popped huge for Aminata’s big win.

Main was chaotic in a not good way. I will say the Gunns have improved a lot over the last 12 months. Having an Acclaimed match without showing Caster’s rap is silly. I’m also now on board the “Acclaimed is stale” wagon.

Just casually dropping Danielson-Jun Akiyama at the very end of the show is hilarious. I literally had to rewind as I had stopped paying attention and thought I was hearing things.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, zendragon said:

Apparently Dave is big mad darby said mean things about his sons.

No, he was "big mad" that the entire interview/segment was completely stupid and counterproductive as it:

A) Presented the rantings of idiots like Corny as the babyface position

B) Was centered around promoting the guy headlining your competitor's biggest show of the year

C) After getting destroyed in a super heavy angle the week before Darby comes out like he was totally fine.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sabremike said:

No, he was "big mad" that the entire interview/segment was completely stupid and counterproductive as it:

A) Presented the rantings of idiots like Corny as the babyface position

B) Was centered around promoting the guy headlining your competitor's biggest show of the year

C) After getting destroyed in a super heavy angle the week before Darby comes out like he was totally fine.

I'm glad this got brought up. First, they completely under sold the best part of the segment - the Schiavone confrontation. Which deserved praise far more than anything deserved to be panned/whined about.

First, Darby represented the position of Buck-haters which are not specifically Cornette, so I have no problem with that. Even if it was a slight misfire. Yeah, I could've done without the Cody reference, but it wasn't anything to get code red angry about. AEW doesn't pretend their alone in the wrestling 'universe', and I like this. Seems like more than a stretch to suggest he's promoting 'their' match and not his own. Third, Darby has been nearly indestructible throughout his AEW career. He has come back from far worse than the beating received in that angle last week. I don't see it as any stretch that he would return a week later. Besides, 62 year old Sting was clearly still selling the attack, and that's far more important. Further, Dave was mostly bemoaning that Darby didn't address last week's beating. I don't disagree that it would've made sense to make mention, but I didn't walk away from this forgetting it because he didn't. That's what Video packages are for. Darby's strong suit isn't his promo, but he's more than passable, and his passion/anger was enough for me. I liked this segment and it was far from 'pitiful'. 

• Like 2

If the knees hadn't been up Jeff wouldn't have been hurt. It wasn't anybody's fault, except maybe them for not thinking about the possibility. 

I'm not a big fan of the "shoot promo" ECW stuff but complaining about AEW recognizing WWE is some Monday Night Wars shit. Bucks want this a worked shoot thing anyway so he has to just ride with it. 

• Like 1