DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

To me, one of the great disappointments of the WWE Network is that they never even really tried with scripted programming, beyond a couple of lame cartoons and the short-lived E&C show (which people loved). Just larded it up with cheap reality slop.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

To me, one of the great disappointments of the WWE Network is that they never even really tried with scripted programming, beyond a couple of lame cartoons and the short-lived E&C show (which people loved). Just larded it up with cheap reality slop.

IIRC I think all that came along when WWE was really cutting and slashing stuff especially trying to boost the WWE Network. It's wrongheaded because if the budget for the show is minimum, the quality of the show is gonna be minimum.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

Totally agree with cartoons. Silly characters get a silly show and serious but still mythic characters get an anime. You have a full cast of characters that you likely own the gimmick of. The Undertaker, Dark Order, R-Truth, APA, the Oddities, Judgement Day, Abaddon, Best Friends, etc

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

Honestly what I wanted a was Maury Pauvich sllye talk show hosted by Dusty Rhodes. Man his "Baby you ain't that DaddY!" would be appointment television!

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I'm surprised he didn't show up on the Good Place considering how he was name dropped.

I forgot about that! I know the co-executive producer of Superstore Owen Ellickson is a wrestling fan and was at least a DVDVR lurker at one point.

6 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Punk said that back in the day on a podcast:
"I think WWE should remake Cannonball Run. Seriously. Get Yoshi Tatsu, put him in a car with Funaki. Put JBL in there with Cena. Get me in there. Have all the WWE guys, put them in cars, and have them drive cross country. If the goal for WWE Films is to make WWE fans buy DVDs, having a movie with all the WWE guys in it will sell like crazy, especially if it's Cannonball Run."

So Punk has seen Cannonball Run but not Rocky? Weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Southpaw Regional Wrestling...

An idea that I had awhile back was to do a series that was a period piece based on "found footage" from an old territory.  Like, have a bunch of modern unknown indy workers tape matches & such set in the 1970s.  Hair, clothes and other styles from that period, and working the in-ring style from back then.  Treat it like a Lucha Underground type thing where it is in its own self contained universe and continuity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Well, that also depends on whether you think Southpaw was loving tribute, snarky mockery or somewhere in between. 

Regardless. 

It was their best idea. It was funny, it was do-able, it worked. They made an SNL bit out of it and never spoke of it again. Just proves that you could hand them money and they'd wipe their ass with it. 

• Like 2

IIRC the shirts came out like 6+ months after the show dropped. i know that i wasn't able to order one immediately, which i think i needed to time so that i could wear it to All In. my timeline might be slightly off on that tho.