DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2024 - Hooked on a Feeling

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

😄

Anyway, you could say Aminata is having a run, but she hasn't won anything on TV. And they aren't gonna let Rosa lose. I'd still love to see her in the match though, even if it's just interfering and getting in a feud with Rosa.

I suppose I didn't mean in the classic sports sense (see Win-Loss record). She feels like she's being positioned thru hard knocks. Getting time and offense in, building to the wins. It's the house style with new or younger talent (see Darby, Sammy, etc.)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Mox's post match promo was a little confusing since it seemed like he was calling out his own BCC teammates.

Did seem like that, didn't it? Hmmm. 

As for the Righteous, I can easily accept that they are too stupid to know any better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not much to add, another solid night of wrestling action and FIGHTS~!! 

Not that he has many singles matches, but apparently I had totally missed that Matthews had been coming out to "Eyes Adjust" by Twitching Tongues. Cool cool cool. For the uninitiated, TT's singer is Colin Young, who's also the drummer/main songwriter for God's Hate. Colin has also helped put together themes for Julia Hart and Kings of The Black Throne, and was a part of that wonderful Ass Boys theme a lil while back. 

Dynamite looks stacked, this has been a damn fine run for AEW since we got past the MJF/Devil nonsense. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Get two more folks in the FTR/House of Black feud and put it in BLOOD. AND. GUTS.

I was expecting FTR to do just that! But with Bossier City apparently selling poorly they needed to add something big.

Aminata is basically doing the same story as her bestie Skye Blue did: wrestle every show, get better and better and closer to victory until finally pulling a big upset. Good match after a bit of a rough start. Lots of stiff forearms, and I love Rosa’s dropkick based offense.

On one hand I don’t like Dante being fed to Copeland given that he was working his way up the card and getting some singles wins before he got hurt. On the other hand, the experience benefits him and Cope made him look really good and put him over after. What we don’t need is this Top Action-Private Party feud.

Mox-Taylor was violent, thought the left arm lariat might have legit concussed Mox. The post-match promo is going to cause a lot of discussion but BCC has lasted for quite a long time.

Sorry Max, we really don’t want a Billy Gunn singles title run. But otherwise the Bang Bang Scissor Gang is good as a vehicle to unite the trios titles (and ideally retire them) and unite the Gunn family (and retire Billy or at least his teaming with The Acclaimed). That’s what they’re going to do, right?

Garcia looking good, missed how he broke Buddy’s nose. The aftermath was awesome, haven’t seen anything like that for a while.

The backstory with Strong and Sydal was more interesting than the match itself, which was perfectly cromulent.

Main highlighted an interesting problem for AEW: Fans love Eddie but even with Bryan being a total prick to him he still gets cheered and the “Yes” chants. The AEW crowd really has a hard time letting stars be heels, other than Callis (whose heat doesn’t extend to his charges). Anyway, the match was good but was clearly just the start of something bigger.

Murder Grandpa versus Adam Copeland is going to be wild.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Murder Grandpa versus Adam Copeland is going to be wild.

I have to ask, though - is Minoru Suzuki a big ratings draw? Because I'd think such a crazy choice would work better as a surprise, to make future Cope challengers more intriguing.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:40 AM, Technico Support said:

Every high school boy at my current gym has hair more in line with Nick Wayne (The Broccoli Cut) than Hook.  Always 3-4 to a bench, wearing Crocs.

This is how I know I go to a "serious man's gym" I haven't seen any kids trying to lift with Crocs on. That's insane to me.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:08 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can't tell if this means you're like a concrete guy, or just really bummed out about a bad day

Tony Atlas' photographer?

Also, I am disappointed they didn't have Juice's pic on a cardboard box for the obvious Juice Box joke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I have to ask, though - is Minoru Suzuki a big ratings draw? Because I'd think such a crazy choice would work better as a surprise, to make future Cope challengers more intriguing.

I think they are realizing that having 50% or more of your card unannounced until the afternoon of the show may be hurting ticket sales. 

• Like 5

I think the draw isn't even Suzuki himself so much as the insane once-in-a-lifetime notion of watching Adam Copeland against an entirely alien opponent to him. You can sort of imagine what Copeland vs Hobbs or Copeland vs Jay White or Copeland vs Max Caster looks like. What the hell is Copeland vs Suzuki going to be?

In general, I respect the Dynamite Card

• Copeland vs Suzuki
  • Jeff Hardy vs Swerve
  • Adam Page vs PENTA
  • Mogul Embassy vs Acclaimed/Gunn
  • Wardlow vs Trent

But these are not the opponents to get me to like Penta, Page, Swerve, or Trent matches so it's very much not for me. I am glad that it is very much for some others though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I'll say this, I'm far more likely to set aside time to watch live than I would have otherwise because I know it's happening because of the sheer novelty of the match. Advertising novelties is a bigger thing than trying to do a shock factor of surprises every show because - as ECW found out - eventually if the fans expect a surprise every show, it's not a surprise, and they'll be disappointed if they don't get a surprise.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, zendragon said:

Felt like something was off with the finish to the main event with how long Eddie was lying on the apron

Yeah, what was Eddie selling to be down so long? Danielson's heel work is just a joy to watch. Building to a big Eddie v Danielson singles PPV bout is one of many things I love about AEW for the week of 1/21. So happy to see Shane Taylor get a shot at Mox. Excellent Shingo-Mox video package prior to the bout. I love Taylor's presentation tweak, love it! Hoping to see Taylor/Moriarty pushed as a legit tag team threat. Moxley, the St. Louis crowd and Schiavone's call to open the show were thrilling. Cope Open went 3/3. Loved the Danielson/Claudio promo. Garcia v Buddy was tremendous until that farty finish. Roddy v Sydal was a perfectly fine enhancement match. Pretty great week of Television.

• Like 1

I’d love to see them expand Shane Taylor Promotions a bit. What’s Big Shotty up to? Mike Santana? Is Ogogo still under contact? His boxing background could be a natural fit. 

• Like 2

Edge vs. Minoru Suzuki is such a total WAR matchup. It's great.

Speaking of which, another anecdote from Blood and Thunder vol. 2: Michinoku Pro had just opened up and there was a WAR show the same night as one of their shows, which Sasuke would be working on top. He took along three guys from M-Pro to work a tag, I think it was like Teioh, Togo and Yakushiji or somebody, just to give you a mental picture. So who did Tenryu book as the fourth man?

Spoiler

The Missing freakin' Link. Of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yeah, what was Eddie selling to be down so long?

So Claudio took Eddie's legs and put the rope between them, and yanked with all of his superhuman might. It was as if Godzilla paid a visit to Yambag City. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, username said:

Like every other recent Suzuki match? Love the guy but he's just been playing the hits for a long time now.

There is a reason they are the hits. I can't wait. I will admit to being a little biased sitting here in my King Suzuki shirt

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I'll say this, I'm far more likely to set aside time to watch live than I would have otherwise because I know it's happening because of the sheer novelty of the match. Advertising novelties is a bigger thing than trying to do a shock factor of surprises every show because - as ECW found out - eventually if the fans expect a surprise every show, it's not a surprise, and they'll be disappointed if they don't get a surprise.

Obviously, viewership took a hit with the Punk ordeal, but part of me also wonders if it was a natural flattening of the curve once the well began to run a little dry on those ECW-style shock debuts - there was that one month-long period where it was like Keith Lee, Jeff Hardy, Danielson and Cole on the same show, and probably some others im forgetting - don't get me wrong, I loved every second of it, but it's simply not sustainable

• Like 1

I was thinking how it was kinda silly how he was able to be held down so long but when you think about it... it's Claudio. (I still find myself wanting to type "Cesaro".) OF COURSE he can keep a grown man grounded for as long as he wants. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, username said:

Like every other recent Suzuki match? Love the guy but he's just been playing the hits for a long time now.

Yes.  However, it’s a greatest hits parade of the craziest of crazy faces.  Can’t miss that!

• Like 1

Lise I said, I love Suzuki and will probably voluntarily watch an Edge match because of him. I just think it is a bit silly to wonder what the match will be like, we all kinda know what we are getting into.

• Like 1

I liked the Collision main because it was totally an AJ/NOAH midcard match with two high second-tier guys vs. Ace/Jobber. You know exactly how the match is gonna go. The second tier guys are total dicks to the jobber. The ace kicks ass each time he's in there, but eventually gets worn down and has to do the cold tag. The jobber gets a hopeless run before getting steam-rolled by a higher-ranked guy. It's not the kind of match you want multiple times a show like in NOAH, but it was a nice change of pace for AEW.

Kobashi/Go vs. Akiyama/Tenryu is my favorite example of this formula.

• Like 5