DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 hours ago, Log said:

Boy calls me down to the basement. “Dad! Come see this!”

Proceeds to unload some damn-near-perfect Kobashi/Kingston machine gun chops on the heavy bag. 

I showed my (9 year old) daughter how wrestlers do chops and she’s into it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I appreciate Eddie Kingston, but his machine-gun chops are terrible. I hope you told your kid that no one in their right mind would sell for chops that are more Kingston than Kobashi. 

(EDIT: To be clear, I don't actually hope that you said this to your child.)

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sabremike said:

When he died it led to this memorable blue card joke from Norm:

" The voice of Tony The Tiger died this past week. Reports say his last words were "Guys, I don't feel so GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT".

Obligatory "I didn't even know he was sick!"

• Like 1

I only laugh because my mind immediately thought "IT HAS BEGUN" a la Mortal Kombat. Is there another injury before he throws his first punches backstage?

Really though, dude's been plagued with injuries in the last few years and doesn't need the money. Retire gracefully and be happy you had not one, but two huge and memorable comebacks. 

• Like 1

He came back from getting fired, after he returned from a years-long self-enforced hiatus because his employers basically left him for dead, literally, and HE WENT BACK to said employers this time. He's never gonna stop. Not now.

Ego beats scissors

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

It was funny on that Fanatics show that I think Breeze said “it’s the first time we’ve seen Punk in over ten years.” I don’t think he said “in the WWE or in a WWE ring.” 

Waiting for Kofi/Gunther and I'm watching Guilty as Charged 99 for the first time since the early 2000s. I feel like Ian Riccaboni is what a lot of Internet fans thought Joey Styles was, without his annoying traits. I really think Ian might be my favorite announcer going. 

Also, how could Paul think the Spike Dudley crowd surfing spots were a good idea? It looks cool but seem like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Like 2

all these “Cody’s gonna be running the WWE soon” tweets sure do like to assume that if Endeavor bounces HHH for closeness to Vince, he’ll be replaced by a wrestling person instead of Endeavor having to learn the downsides of having non-wrestling people run the WWE

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

If this is it for Punk, my personal feelings on him aside, the feud with MJF was incredible.  Just phenomenal wrestling from top to bottom in terms of match quality, promos, etc.

Bummed out we never got the rubber match. I love the two CM Punk/MJF matches especially the 2nd February 2022 Dynamite one. The Dog Collar match at AEW Revolution 2022, 6th March 2022, my birthday. Gave both *****. Two of the best AEW matches ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Waiting for Kofi/Gunther and I'm watching Guilty as Charged 99 for the first time since the early 2000s. I feel like Ian Riccaboni is what a lot of Internet fans thought Joey Styles was, without his annoying traits. I really think Ian might be my favorite announcer going. 

Also, how could Paul think the Spike Dudley crowd surfing spots were a good idea? It looks cool but seem like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Well his dad was a lawyer

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

“Mr. Schnatter, is there anything in your past that we need to know about?”

well he did promise us a reckoning (and that is one hell of a case of the meat sweats)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bummed out we never got the rubber match. I love the two CM Punk/MJF matches especially the 2nd February 2022 Dynamite one. The Dog Collar match at AEW Revolution 2022, 6th March 2022, my birthday. Gave both *****. Two of the best AEW matches ever.

I've always thought Punk was severely overrated and never in the top 5 of any fed he was ever in.

That feud is the only time I've ever seen what so many people raved about and for a brief bit, I got it.  Then he had Hangman's worst title match, got the belt way too soon and the rest is history

• Like 2