DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I totally missed Truth photobombing that until you said this 😆

The "Brody in WWF" what-if is still interesting to me. He obviously would have butted heads with Vince and left, but when and how and over what is the question. The answers are probably "soon", "no-show" and "money", but it'd be interesting where Vince would put him. Monster-of-the-Week probably wouldn't even be what he'd want to do or agree to.

I've heard on a few different podcasts that Brody had talked about being open to coming in for a run with Hogan and doing business before he was murdered.

• Like 2

Gunther goes back in time, gets put into a feud with Hogan. Feud starts with Hulk on Piper's Pit or Brother Love or whatever. Gunther attacks him, hits him with a couple of his chops.

Backstage, Hogan goes to Vince holding his raw, red chest and cancels the feud.

Gunther attack never makes air like the infamous Jake DDTs Hogan to cheers segment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Edit: He's obviously a racist dog, but the kid in me is a little bummed we didn't get a 'Hulk Hogan: Deathmatch Worker' run

This made me curious to see of Hogan and Terry Funk ever wrestled. Looks like they had about a dozen WWF house show matches in 1985, plus Hogan and JYD had a couple tag matches against Terry and Dory.  There was also some random match in South Africa that listed nothing else but two random women's matches.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

This made me curious to see of Hogan and Terry Funk ever wrestled. Looks like they had about a dozen WWF house show matches in 1985, plus Hogan and JYD had a couple tag matches against Terry and Dory.  There was also some random match in South Africa that listed nothing else but two random women's matches.

They had a SNME match when Terry was in. I am pretty sure they were feuding at the time. It's the same SNME in Tampa that Dean Malenko shows up as a ref for a match or two on that show.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I've heard on a few different podcasts that Brody had talked about being open to coming in for a run with Hogan and doing business before he was murdered.

Exactly.  Meltzer mentioned this as well, that late-career, no longer concerned with protecting his aura Brody would have absolutely come in and done business with Hogan.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Exactly.  Meltzer mentioned this as well, that late-career, no longer concerned with protecting his aura Brody would have absolutely come in and done business with Hogan.  

The thing is though there was probably a few other people wanting to get that run. Add in the fact it's not that there were lacking suitable candidates for that role at the time. Hell, who thought Big Bubba of all people was going to be in that role and fit quite perfectly? I love Bruiser Brody, but if you can make a guy overnight to fit that role, why is bringing in Bruiser Brody necessary other than for record book purposes?

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The thing is though there was probably a few other people wanting to get that run. Add in the fact it's not that there were lacking suitable candidates for that role at the time. Hell, who thought Big Bubba of all people was going to be in that role and fit quite perfectly? I love Bruiser Brody, but if you can make a guy overnight to fit that role, why is bringing in Bruiser Brody necessary other than for record book purposes?

That’s a really good point.  I’d need to look at house show reports for maybe the year or two after Brody died to see who he may have been able to supplant.  Off the top of my head, I’m thinking about interchangeable midcarders like the aforementioned Bubba, or guys like Gang or Bad News, who were heated up for a few runs around the horn, then pushed back down the card.  Did Berzerker get a house show run against Hogan or was that too late?

1. Brody was a name. He could sell tickets.

2. He wouldn't be taking up space beyond the Hogan feud more than likely. One shot and back to the indies. Don't have to pay him long.

3. And yeah, record book purposes. Vince was and is a mark. Why wouldn't he want Brody to have a stay in his company? Especially against his biggest draw?

Edited by Curt McGirt

Nord said that he and Brody would have come in during 1989 as a team. I think the Bolsheviks got their spot instead. It would have been hilarious and just like Vince to bring them in to feud with the Bushwhackers for six months.

• Like 4

On the “Brody lives and gets a run vs Hogan” front, looking at house results, the earliest Brody could have worked Hogan would have been after Mania 5 — Brody died in the Summer of 88 and Savage was champ with Hogan gone until Summerslam.  After that, it was the Megapowers run-up vs Bossman and Akeem.  Maybe Brody could have replaced one of those two?  Probably not.

So after Mania 5, Hogan is married to Savage until Fall.  Then he goes to Bad News for a bit before moving on the Perfect and, later, tags with Beefcake vs Perfect & Poffo.  After Mania 6, he’s gone for a while, regains at Mania 7, then is with Slaughter for a good while.  

So realistically, the only place he probably would have fit in was maybe Brown’s spot or maybe Hogan vs Brody in the place of those tags, I guess.

Edited by Technico Support

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Brody was a name. He could sell tickets.

2. He wouldn't be taking up space beyond the Hogan feud more than likely. One shot and back to the indies. Don't have to pay him long.

3. And yeah, record book purposes. Vince was and is a mark. Why wouldn't he want Brody to have a stay in his company? Especially against his biggest draw?

Same reason we didn't get Hogan vs. Flair until it was reaching Wonder Bread three days before the expiration date quality. Same reason we didn't get Hogan vs. Vader until after he (Leon) was already a big name across the world. 

Hogan was like the antithesis of Yoko, Shawn, Bret, and Diesel in 93-95. He could draw against anyone virtually and really didn't necessarily need another big name against him. It would be nice, but Brody being an attraction himself who could make money as a true independent contractor didn't necessarily mean he had to go against Hogan. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, I'm not arguing that he didn't need to wrestle Hogan and Hogan didn't need to wrestle him, just why he would have. If Meltzer said it was gonna happen then it was. He was close close to Brody so he'd know.

Thing is though Brody was around like deep into the Hogan run before he passed. We're talking four Manias. Even if it took him awhile to soften his stance, Vince usually struck while the iron was hot. What would have been a bigger draw: Hogan vs. Brody in 83 or 84 or Hogan vs. Brody five years later when most of the places outside of Puerto Rico Brody worked were dead long before he was? So yeah I would imagine the dude with like one place now in the Western Hemisphere he could work between Japan shots would be coming into the WWF pretty soon lol.

6 minutes ago, Octopus said:

DAMN IT. Hogan has now seeped into my algorithm from this. I only have myself to blame.

Same here BUT it lead to me hearing a great, really high quality, unused instrumental version of his WCW theme that was entirely new to me so as a nerd for that kinda shit, I call it a win

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

random: currently imagining the music video of Gunther chopping people set to "Der Kommissar" by After The Fire

Considering Gunther is Austrian, please go for the original

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

but "don't turn around" is valid advice around Gunther

The English lyrics are an almost literal translation. The German chorus goes "Drah' di net um, schau, schau, der Kommisar geht um" which is Viennese dialect for "Don't turn around, look, look, the commissioner (Kommissar) is somewhere around here." (literally "the Kommissar is walking around" - I guess "the Kommissar's out and about" is a pretty decent translation). Not much diffent than "Don't turn around, ja, ja, der Kommissar's in town".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert S said:

The English lyrics are an almost literal translation. The German chorus goes "Drah' di net um, schau, schau, der Kommisar geht um" which is Viennese dialect for "Don't turn around, look, look, the commissioner (Kommissar) is somewhere around here." (literally "the Kommissar is walking around" - I guess "the Kommissar's out and about" is a pretty decent translation). Not much diffent than "Don't turn around, ja, ja, der Kommissar's in town".

oh okay.. I didn't know that, so it wouldn't have surprised me if After The Fire just made new lyrics, like how Nena's 99 Red Balloons veers a little from Nena's 99 Luftbalons