DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

The Classic is my favorite thing in wrestling right now. Absolutely riveting stuff. Plus, the MJF shenanigans has Samoa Joe doing promos. Pretty cool stuff. 
—-

Get we’ll soon Omega!

Who replaces Omega in the Golden Jets bits? Luther? Ethan Page? Evil Uno? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Since we're speculating, maybe Kenny thought the diverticulitis was just a complication from hernia that failed to heal. Does one often lead to the other?

Off the top of my head no, a hernia is muscular and diverticulitis is a GI issue that is pockets in your colon that get inflamed. My wife said her dad had to get part of his colon for diverticulitis, and some people end up having to get ileostomies (but it doesn’t have to be that serious)

Just now, JLowe said:

Off the top of my head no, a hernia is muscular and diverticulitis is a GI issue that is pockets in your colon that get inflamed. My wife said her dad had to get part of his colon for diverticulitis, and some people end up having to get ileostomies (but it doesn’t have to be that serious)

Ok my wife says hernias aren’t strictly muscular but would not be related to diverticulitis 

Awful news about Kenny.  Hopefully they caught it early, Brock got fucked up by diverticulitis for a while, it basically ended his MMA career.  I googled 'Kenny Omega diet' and it looks like he's heavy on red meat protein, that can be a cause.  I'd been thinking he hadn't looked like himself lately but figured he was just dealing with a bunch of nagging injuries like usual

I can't think of anyone good to replace him in the tag title match.  Maybe Hangman?  That feels like the best fit storyline wise even if he's got other stuff going on.  Ibushi would be the other obvious one but tbh I don't think he's a good pick based on how he's looked in the ring, that match might be a trainwreck

I think I might just have Ricky and Bill say Golden Jets earned a title match, not Jericho and whoever....do Starks and Jericho for a title shot and put Ricky over.  Beat down Jericho post-match and take him off tv for a bit.  I think most of 2023 was forgettable for him, he's been heavy on tv since the start of AEW and he needs to leave the territory and learn a new hold.  Might as well take advantage of this situation. 

I've been feeling that way in regards to Jericho for a while.  He's probably been my favorite wrestler over the last 25 years, at times I was watching WWE largely just to follow him...but starting in 2005 his leaving every couple years was great for his career.  Overexposure is a problem for everyone in the big promotions now, but when you've been around as long as Jericho it's really hard to stay fresh and it's been obvious for a while that absence would make the heart grow fonder with him

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

About that 

Hide contents

Well If you're a female wrestler with options do you trust your career to a Papa H who basically lead a revolution in womens wrestling or the guy who treats it like an afterthought 

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

But for the sake of adding some more intelligence because others already did a good job of pointing out why it’s not a sinking ship, Kenny has been a non factor for months now. He can barely wrestle singles matches and has been in a mid card feud basically since returning from injury. That feud was elevated to some main event matches, but this has not been his show since dropping the title.

Same thing with the Bucks. They’ve basically done nothing for what feels like forever because they’re both fucked up and the mini feud with FTR was half baked.

All three of them are non factors. The company is carried by other wrestlers now. That’s why I said a few days ago that in hindsight, it probably would have been better to just let Kenny, the Bucks, and Jericho all walk and stick with Punk. The only problem with that is the incident at Wembley.

Deep bench, next man up. Obvious issues with a huge roster (people disappearing for weeks on end) but some benefits

Also Jade and Pillmancito where not top three stars

Also the good news is Jericho due for a "career year"

Edited by zendragon

55 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is there anyone else noteworthy in the business to have it besides Brock? 

Jerry Lawler had it just a few years ago, but it seems like that wasn't as serious as it could have been. It was just mentioned once and I heard nothing about it afterwards.

Also, not anyone in the business but my grandmother's older sister had it and I heard it was terrible. When people first described what happened to Brock, I was like "that sounds exactly like what she had back then!"

Edited by Shartnado
it's been known to happen...

15 hours ago, Octopus said:

Who replaces Omega in the Golden Jets bits? Luther? Ethan Page? Evil Uno? 

Just put a mask on the most Kenny Omega looking guy in the promotion and make him into Kenny's Fake Shemp? (a variation of replacing Douglas with Zenk in 1993 WCW)

Obviously it's time for Brandon Cutler to beg Jericho for a chance since the Buck's being gone has devastated Cutler's finances, only for Cutler to turn heel on Jericho in an effort to mooch off of Ricky Starks.

But we damn well know that TWFKA Edge, Adam Copeland, is gonna replace Kenny Omega at the PPV and somehow someway the Golden Canadians lose and Jericho gets drawn into the Edge/Christian feud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

But we damn well know that TWFKA Edge, Adam Copeland, is gonna replace Kenny Omega at the PPV and somehow someway the Golden Canadians lose and Jericho gets drawn into the Edge/Christian feud.

Or the Golden Canadians win and Christian is sucked into the Jercho world where most things don’t work well and Christian and the Patriarchy are ruined. Also Ricky Starla then disappears from tv for weeks

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sublime said:

Or the Golden Canadians win and Christian is sucked into the Jercho world where most things don’t work well and Christian and the Patriarchy are ruined. Also Ricky Starla then disappears from tv for weeks

are you ready for Jericho/Copeland vs Killswitch/Wayne over and over?

On 12/15/2023 at 8:27 PM, Craig H said:

Niners and Vile One deserve each other. Even ElSa didn’t have to put up with two galaxy brained idiots in one folder.

Show me the lie in the awful ticket sales for Collision and Dynamite....   Show me the lie in the ratings declines...   You can't. 

Here's the problem with this folder.  Everyone WANTS AEW to succeed so much so they are willing to overlook all of the issues that have been going on within the company over the past 18 months.  You have blinders on.  

I want the company to be a success too but when there's 2,000 people attending Dynamites in buildings that hold 13,000 it doesn't look healthy.  When ratings cratered on Saturday nights,  it doesn't look healthy.  

You can point to the in-ring and say Well look how good the CC has been.  Yes, it's been great for a niche audience.  I love it.  Has it been great for everyone?  Apparently not. And these stories they are telling are really stupid.  'The Devil' thing is Black Scorpion territory right now. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

The problem is that you're being histrionic and it isn't conducive to a healthy, fruitful discussion about some of the better points you bring up. You need to calm down.

That's the only language that some posters speak and I don't believe they wanted to have a fruitful discussion because if they did they wouldn't jump straight to name calling like Craig always does.  I would tag him but apparently tagging isn't working.  

If you don't think attendance is an issue or you don't think the ratings on Saturday nights have been a big issue then go ahead and explain why they aren't a big issue and do it without name calling.  I think 40+-year old men should be able to handle that.  

Also, why are we still doing the Mercedes Mone insults?  I haven't said a word about her in months.  But she is a draw and proved that to be true for NJPW/Stardom in her few appearances for those promotions.  

54 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Here's the problem with this folder.  Everyone WANTS AEW to succeed so much so they are willing to overlook all of the issues that have been going on within the company over the past 18 months. 

When you say "everyone", .... 😉

• Haha 1

Lol. I already mentioned that you have some better points, but you go from there to 'it looks like a sinking ship' and 'AEW's immediate future depends on them getting a vastly improved tv deal' and 'where's the lie?'.

- Collision is obviously a bit of a disaster. Realistically it has gone from being an attempt at an 'AA' show to being a 'B' show - same as WWE Main Event when it first launched, same as Smackdown during the supershow era. It's happened more quickly, but ultimately 2 hours of TV on a Saturday night is going to be tough to sustain an audience for without a really good reason to watch and it went out the door with Punk. But fine, AEW could get rid of it - problem solved, broadly speaking.

- The wider attendance issue is somewhat of an issue but it's more optical than anything else.

- I personally think the Devil storyline has dragged on too long, but I agree that these are indicative of wider booking problems and wider talent issues. These should be sorted, but they are sortable.

But these are potentially fixable problems in the long-term and do not threaten the short-term viability of the company.