DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The Armed Anderson promo turned me off in that it had a real “Chris Kyle making up stories about shooting looters,” 2A Guy power fantasy vibe.  But YMMV.

I've hated any follow-up or attempt to capitalize on the original, because it's like... everyone knows you're not going to gouge anyone's eyes out or blow someone away and you're clearly just chasing the first one, so stop. But the first was so out of nowhere that I've just got to hand it to him.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I've hated any follow-up or attempt to capitalize on the original, because it's like... everyone knows you're not going to gouge anyone's eyes out or blow someone away and you're clearly just chasing the first one, so stop. But the first was so out of nowhere that I've just got to hand it to him.

My thoughts exactly - and it was very effective in illustrating what was going on with he and Cody at that time. That combined with the sheer WTF-ness makes it one of the best, to me. But yeah, I agree - I could do without the follow up T-shirt, or any of the 'reaching in the jacket' motions, and all that; It's just too hot of an issue. But MAN, that 'all that implies' line is an all timer.

Another random pick, which may not fit the typical 'promo' criteria: OC's answer to the climate change issue during the Jericho 'debate':

https://youtu.be/7c1VQAAgyVQ

• Like 3

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

No I don't, but I feel that he should? We have no argument here, I'm not trying to be a smartass about it or anything. 

I agree that he should. It's just that we don't know if he did or didn't.

There are a lot of assumptions that get made here based on very vague "news" reports. Not trying to single you out or anything, and I love to speculate on gossip as much as the next person, but there's a ton that we don't know.

• Like 2

Depends on who you believe.

TK says AEW covers travel and hotel rooms. Jericho, Dax and Bryce (who books all the travel stuff for the talent) chimed in and backed this up.

Meltzer (go figure) says they don’t, except internationally.

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The first was just the perfect blend of old man crazy

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Depends on who you believe.

TK says AEW covers travel and hotel rooms. Jericho, Dax and Bryce (who books all the travel stuff for the talent) chimed in and backed this up.

Meltzer (go figure) says they don’t, except internationally.

I think that Meltzer bit was a misunderstanding where he was talking about WWE but he did it in Meltzer speak and Khan called him on it and Meltzer tried to clarify but it was in more Meltzer speak about the Melzer speak.

• Haha 3

Re: this crazy-ass Punk situation…if reports are true (har har), the idea that Punk can keep AEW’s head of talent away from Collision as payback for TK not letting that goof Ace Steel in the building is pretty disconcerting.  This is a crazy and fascinating situation.  The owner of the company’s hands are somewhat tied; Warner wants Punk.  Shit, Collision would have been a 60 minute Rampage 2 afterthought without Punk coming back.  So Khan can’t make Punk unhappy so Collision, for both good and bad, is now this CM Punk fiefdom in all aspects. Shit’s wild.  I know I’ve said it before, but I just don’t see this ending well.  But it’ll be fun to watch.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

On the subject of Arn in AEW I feel like anytime he opens his mouth it gold. That time he took Cody to the gym and said something to the effect of 'Your daddy beat the hell out of me AND I HAD IT COMIN'!" Plus the promo before Brock got feed to Malaki Black 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Re: this crazy-ass Punk situation…if reports are true (har har), the idea that Punk can keep AEW’s head of talent away from Collision as payback for TK not letting that goof Ace Steel in the building is pretty disconcerting.  This is a crazy and fascinating situation.  The owner of the company’s hands are somewhat tied; Warner wants Punk.  Shit, Collision would have been a 60 minute Rampage 2 afterthought without Punk coming back.  So Khan can’t make Punk unhappy so Collision, for both good and bad, is now this CM Punk fiefdom in all aspects. Shit’s wild.  I know I’ve said it before, but I just don’t see this ending well.  But it’ll be fun to watch.

I know he has literally, near word for word, said that he disagrees with those who say this, etc. - but I'm going with it anyway, because what else is the guy gonna say in public: does that Cody shit make a million times more sense now or what??

• Like 2

The Christian promo in Detroit with the massive heat was pretty great. Well, other than that weird beyond insensitve Arn line. Christian's entire heel run has been littered with terrific promos.

Jericho's promo introducing the Inner Circle, Cody's promo on Jericho, and the MJF-Regal showdown were all pretty exceptional as well. 

I also remember there being a number of strangely heartwarming promos some time in that boom period after the Punk/Danielson signings. The one I recall most was the promo Punk cut after Moxley went to rehab. The crowd was hushed in a way that is rare in wrestling - they were similarily hushed for Mox's return speech. The Punk promo really made it feel like AEW was a real team. 

• Like 3