DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You got to go to YouTube to see it but Menard's post Blood and Guts promo comes to mind. That's definitely "... of any form."

It's this, Kingston coming in, and then a big gap between that and whatever #3 is.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Cody’s last promo, where he shit on Punk, the other EVPs, his contract, and even sent some strays toward Brody King (who had JUST signed, btw) is an all-timer.

Watched a couple promos thinking about Octopus’ question, and one of them was the Cody “I won’t turn” speech. I’d completely forgotten that he’d described Tony as the guy who signs the cheques and himself as the guy who built the bank. Dude was working up to spelling out his narrative and going out guns blazing. What a king. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Cody’s last promo, where he shit on Punk, the other EVPs, his contract, and even sent some strays toward Brody King (who had JUST signed, btw) is an all-timer.

Also, “Cody ends racism” will be in my grandchildren’s history books.

Wait, my Florida history book says Robert E. Lee ended racism ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I applaud your restraint, I guess.  Half the time this guy posts, I scroll back up to see if his avatar has been changed to The Man in Black.

If ever there was a time to bring back Defend Your Life...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

What is everyone’s favorite promo on any form of AEW programming?

This will be a huge surprise, but Ricky Starks’ face to face with MJF is goosebump inducing to me. Mox’s promo the Wednesday after Brawl Out & the Gripe Bomb. “I am in no mood…”

Eddie Kingston’s “my demons can swim.” He had several during his feud w Jericho. His first AEW promo on Cody was fire, too. Hanger has cut some real strong ones.

Also, I like every adam Cole promo when he stops talking.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

Favorite AEW promo...probably the first time MJF told the story about the antisemitism he faced growing up. 

From the 2/23/2022 Dynamite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAf6epYTUAM&t=7s.

An awful lot of that promo - minus the football - hit very close to home for me. It was raw, emotional, and it riveted me to the spot. At least for me personally, it had some interesting ramifications. And maybe it's time to get this out of the way: MJF has leaned so hard in to the heel shtick on TV, at public appearances, etc., that when he pulls back the curtain on himself (or if he wants to make it look like that's what he's doing), it still means something. He gets that where a lot of wrestlers don't.

So when he delivered that promo, I bought in. I had to ask myself: should I, or any other Jewish wrestling fan for that matter, really continue to boo this man? I realize that out of character MJF will speak up against antisemitism and racism, but we're supposed to suspend disbelief as fans...cheer the faces, boo the heels. This promo blurred the lines for me in a way I didn't really have to reconcile with before. MJF succeeded in making me feel something using wrestling as the medium, which is the whole point of the enterprise. Now of course, MJF went back to despicable heel tactics shortly after he cut that promo. But: it showed what MJF's path towards a face turn would be, and served as a reminder of the fact that there's a real person under the character, which a lot of wrestling fans have forgotten in the social media era.

Even without what it meant to me personally, I feel it to be a very effective promo. It gave that feud deep personal stakes that most feuds don't get to any longer. MJF clearly and emotionally explained why that match should matter.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 5

There’s a lot of high end Cody, Punk, Kingston, and MJF stuff that would be near the top for me. All the stuff you’d think of and then some. But the crown, just for sheer WTF “how is this happening” fun, has to go to Arn Anderson and his glock. Impossibly funny stuff heightened by guest commentator CM Punk briefly guffawing into his headset. A perfect object. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I applaud your restraint, I guess.  Half the time this guy posts, I scroll back up to see if his avatar has been changed to The Man in Black.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10563-august-2023-wrestling-discussion/page/10/#comments

Dolphman 3000 is now in the Land of Johnny Cash, the Phantom Zone.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Favorite AEW promos, when Mox and Kingston were teaming after the blown finish to the Kenny/Mox II had some gems, particularly right after.  I remember on the Dynamite after they had an exchange like 

Mox: I really wanted to see that explosion
King: Yeah a lot of people did....

Don't know if it counts as a promo but pre House of Black Malakai (the faction) had some great hype videos, I remember the one that lead to Brody King's debut being especially awesome and creepy where closed by talking to a hooded figured "Now you're more than a King."

Punk's "won't you be my valentine" is probably my #1 company wide. Punk and My Jewish Friend were both in absolute top form during their program.

• Haha 1

So this was touched on briefly in a tweet posted earlier but sort of... let's say parallel to this whole most recent Punk deal: having someone fly into a show only to not use them is annoying to them, but I get it due to how televised wrestling works. If a single time someone was flown out and then not even let into the building I'd consider that startlingly unprofessional at best and kinda fucked up at worst; this has apparently happened several times on a show only a few months old (even putting the debated Hangman situation to the side). Collision may be a fun show but this is an outright shitty way to treat people who work someplace, if this was done at any place any of us worked we'd likely universally consider our bosses to be huge assholes over this.

Punk's a dick but that's sorta expected, I'm more concerned with wat the second most powerful man in the industry is doing here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Favorite AEW promo...probably the first time MJF told the story about the antisemitism he faced growing up. 

From the 2/23/2022 Dynamite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAf6epYTUAM&t=7s.

An awful lot of that promo - minus the football - hit very close to home for me. It was raw, emotional, and it riveted me to the spot. At least for me personally, it had some interesting ramifications. And maybe it's time to get this out of the way: MJF has leaned so hard in to the heel shtick on TV, at public appearances, etc., that when he pulls back the curtain on himself (or if he wants to make it look like that's what he's doing), it still means something. He gets that where a lot of wrestlers don't.

So when he delivered that promo, I bought in. I had to ask myself: should I, or any other Jewish wrestling fan for that matter, really continue to boo this man? I realize that out of character MJF will speak up against antisemitism and racism, but we're supposed to suspend disbelief as fans...cheer the faces, boo the heels. This promo blurred the lines for me in a way I didn't really have to reconcile with before. MJF succeeded in making me feel something using wrestling as the medium, which is the whole point of the enterprise. Now of course, MJF went back to despicable heel tactics shortly after he cut that promo. But: it showed what MJF's path towards a face turn would be, and served as a reminder of the fact that there's a real person under the character, which a lot of wrestling fans have forgotten in the social media era.

Even without what it meant to me personally, I feel it to be a very effective promo. It gave that feud deep personal stakes that most feuds don't get to any longer. MJF clearly and emotionally explained why that match should matter.

This and the follow up segment with a great Punk promo and both of them wearing white leading to Max busting Punk open. Doesn’t get better than those 2 segments.

Max’s fire me promo is up there as well. I know that one was divisive at the time, but there is a point right around the 4:15 mark of the below video where it stops being a Punk tribute act and you catch a glimpse of what MJF would be like as a fired up babyface. Crowd couldn’t help but to cheer when he morphs into maniac Ric Flair for a second. “I’m the only guy who makes you feel and, unlike all those boys, I don’t have to do a bunch of bullshit to get you there” is a great line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jrag said:

This and the follow up segment with a great Punk promo and both of them wearing white leading to Max busting Punk open. Doesn’t get better than those 2 segments.

Was considering which segment I’d pick if I were drawing from that feud for my #1, and I settled on Punk’s “am I the bad guy” promo from the go-home to Revolution. For a feud that went on a whole PPV cycle with a lot of talking, all credit to everyone involved on them getting to the finish line with the most interesting material. Masterclass, the high water mark for any feud they’ve run.

And as much credit as Hangman gets for presenting a different type of masculinity than you normally see at the top of American TV wrestling, gotta hand just as much credit to Max for being the other side of that coin. A shitty dude girding his vulnerable feelings by just presenting the worst of himself consistently and deliberately. A dude trapped in a cycle of rotten behaviour that he’ll no doubt pass on to someone else. Who knows who’ll have an acidic origin story in twenty years where he features prominently. A shitty, annoying, violent troll, but we’ve also seen what’s under the hood and what’s making him tick. It’s a high wire act that I’m excited to see him walk for many many years. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but one promo I loved was the Moxley vs Kingston promo where they talk about Kingston's mum. Both guys are soooo making at making this shit feel real dammit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_x3TNEN51s&ab_channel=AllEliteWrestling

EDIT - someone help me out with the imbed here

Edited by Steventon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steventon said:

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but one promo I loved was the Moxley vs Kingston promo where they talk about Kingston's mum. Both guys are soooo making at making this shit feel real dammit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_x3TNEN51s&ab_channel=AllEliteWrestling

EDIT - someone help me out with the imbed here