DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

33 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

We barely have an arena here anyway, unless people butter up VCU to go to the Siegel Center, and that place is lousy for pro wrestling. [Insert muttering about the uselessness of city council and the failure of the Richmond Coliseum replacement project.]

Didn't they just have a house show in Richmond? I think that's why that city popped up into my mind. It was either Richmond or Roanoke.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Didn't Alabama Doink die in 2016? Either way, time for Alabama Doink II to carry on the legacy.

There is... another

oTiSuMu.jpg

(from May of this year)

For me, it's the Tevas that really make the outfit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Didn't they just have a house show in Richmond? I think that's why that city popped up into my mind. It was either Richmond or Roanoke.

Salem (which is basically Roanoke). My dad and Nanay live there, which is how I remember that AEW did a house show there.

• Like 1

Just now, JLowe said:

Salem (which is basically Roanoke). My dad and Nanay live there, which is how I remember that AEW did a house show there.

They also did a show at the VSU Multipurpose Center in Petersburg in December. The Richmond Coliseum has been closed for like four or five years now, so your options in Richmond proper are either the convention center or the various university basketball arenas like the Siegel Center or the Robins Center.

I mean I guess you could go to the speedway, but why would anyone want to do that lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

There is... another

oTiSuMu.jpg

(from May of this year)

For me, it's the Tevas that really make the outfit.

Why is he in the exact same shape as the first one?

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Why is he in the exact same shape as the first one?

Apparently because he is (allegedly) Alabama Doink's son, who normally does a Patriot knock-off gimmick.

There isan entire goddamn Alabama Wrestling Extended Universe that I just had no idea about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Apparently because he is (allegedly) Alabama Doink's son, who normally does a Patriot knock-off gimmick.

There isan entire goddamn Alabama Wrestling Extended Universe that I just had no idea about.

Move over Gulas Welch Enterprises...another entity controls the state of Alabama and his name is El Hijo del Alabama Doink.

• Haha 4

if this is elsewhere, forgive me, but according to a bunch of tweets "for me"

25 years ago today, on WCW Monday Nitro, Goldberg defeated Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight title (in what I recall was probably Goldberg's best match).

25 years ago today, on WWFE Monday Night Raw, DX appeared in blackface in a parody promo skit against the Nation of Domination.

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Blue Kane vs Alabama Doink when?

Also by next Pride I want an entire spectrum of indie Kanes to be a side in a 10-man match.

I'd love nothing more than Glenn to get all in his feelings with an entire Spectrum of Kane's showing up like it's a Lantern battle or that one time Kyle got simultaneously picked by every color ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Now that Luton Town have made the Premier League, Vince should run Mania at their stadium.

It holds just over 10,000 for football.

Im sure with the right set up in place they could announce a figure at least 5 times that.

Reveal hidden contents

Kenilworth Road: The throwback Luton Town stadium hosting ...

Maybe count all the people living in the houses that are technically attached to the stadium?

I see what you did there, nicely done - though I guess this got past most people who have not read Ringmaster.

18 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

DeSean Pratt (Amasis) is actually rather active in whatever is left of CZW. They run a lot of shows in Havre de Grace (way upstate Western-shore Maryland) and I'll probably get bored and attend one at some point.

But Ophidian was always the A-Side and he completely dipped out of the industry when CHIKARA imploded. He was working GCW and H20 and a full indy schedule pre-quarantine and did a big ol' Twitter post about how wrestling was bad for him and made him an addict and a cheater and how he was ditching the biz for the sake of his mental health. I don't know if his retirement statement was an admission that he was part of the "CHIKARA problem" or not but I hope he's doing better. And if he's ever healthy enough to return to wrestling I'll go and see him, cause that guy was GOOD.

EDIT: per his wife's Reddit account they make gear these days

Plus obviously Hieracon (Jonathan Gresham) is busy in Impact.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JLowe said:

25 years ago today, on WWFE Monday Night Raw, DX appeared in blackface in a parody promo skit against the Nation of Domination.

Man, me and my buddies still bust out quotes from this skit to this day.

"What the hell am I, a school crossing??"

Following my rule of only going to wrestling shows within 20 minutes of my home, I'm going to my first WWE event since... fuck... maybe 2017? WWE is rolling through next weekend for a house show in Fairfax VA, I get to see Asuka for just the second time so I'm happy. Announced card so far (subject to change):

WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:  SETH "FREAKIN" ROLLINS VS DAMIAN PRIEST

WWE WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:  NATALYA VS RHEA RIPLEY

WWE WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP TRIPLE THREAT MATCH:  BIANCA BELAIR VS ASUKA VS CHARLOTTE FLAIR

UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:  AJ STYLES VS AUSTIN THEORY

CODY RHODES VS FINN BALOR W/ DOMINIK MYSTERIO

PRETTY DEADLY
BOBBY LASHLEY
THE USOS

AND MANY MORE!

• Like 7

The first ever CZW match I saw was a download off a "friends"  user sharing thing I think it was called Kazzaa or something. The match was Ruckus vs. somebody and I had seen plenty of ECW by that point but this match was definitely one of the craziest things I had seen.  Ruckus was doing flips off shit into lightbulbs or something.  I wish I remember what it was exactly. 

7 hours ago, Ingobernable said:

About fifteen years ago there was a crap camo Kane knocking around small British shows. I believe he also brought a ring so he didn’t struggle for bookings despite being very very bad. 

?type=og-image

And carrying that terrible, generic Figures Inc. belt!

10 hours ago, Ingobernable said:

About fifteen years ago there was a crap camo Kane knocking around small British shows. I believe he also brought a ring so he didn’t struggle for bookings despite being very very bad. 

?type=og-image

Can't quite tell from that picture, but does "crap camo" consist of different shades of brown?

I can't even remember the first CZW thing I saw, but I remember my reaction was, "what the fuck is this bullshit?" It looked like some JCW crap. The most low rent looking video production and absolute garbage in the ring. So that's my first and lasting impression of them and it's what made me not even give a shit about the ROH vs CZW stuff until Naylor started recapping the shows he went to on here. My reaction was, so CZW has good wrestling, what did I watch then? And then I see some of the CZW wrestlers involved on some RealPlayer clip or something and even then I thought they looked janky as fuck.

It blows my mind that so many top wrestlers came through CZW. To me, back then, I would have thought it was only a notch above XPW.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can't even remember the first CZW thing I saw, but I remember my reaction was, "what the fuck is this bullshit?" It looked like some JCW crap. The most low rent looking video production and absolute garbage in the ring. So that's my first and lasting impression of them and it's what made me not even give a shit about the ROH vs CZW stuff until Naylor started recapping the shows he went to on here. My reaction was, so CZW has good wrestling, what did I watch then? And then I see some of the CZW wrestlers involved on some RealPlayer clip or something and even then I thought they looked janky as fuck.

It blows my mind that so many top wrestlers came through CZW. To me, back then, I would have thought it was only a notch above XPW.

Well, it was but there was also a time where CZW had been embraced as the heir apparent to ECW for a little awhile. XPW had that feeling slightly on the West Coast, but the NE was a much hotter and most of the top indy guys were there. California had APW in NorCal, EPIC, UPW for a little awhile, XPW, and maybe 3 other notable promotions (it seemed like all of them were sharing the same folks as well). So CZW could be barely operational, but due to location, have a lot more buzz and opportunities to do stuff.

• Like 1