DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I also think with Forbidden Door coming up, Switchblade is really benefiting off AEW working with New Japan. Jay White seemed like not much of a big deal after the first week on being an ARW contracted talent. 

AEW’s always been willing to acknowledge history of things that happen elsewhere. Rather than benefitting from it being Forbidden Door season, an event he’s not even booked on, perhaps he’s benefitting from being on a new weekly show with a top guy who wants to work with him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Tanahashi needs to hang it up

Yeah that Swerve match was kind of brutal to watch, but honestly that’s just Tanahashi these days from what I can remember of my extremely sporadic NJPW viewing over the years. Unless it’s a big match and you kind of forget it/he covers it well, but… yikes. Take some time off at least and get everything fixed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Take some time off at least and get everything fixed.

The thing is, and I say this as someone that loves Tanahashi, I don't think he is fixable (in that regard). He's just a 46 year old wrestler with 2500+ matches and he's just kinda broken. New Japan is pretty good on their tours of protecting wrestlers in his physical state (lots of six man tags, etc.) but between his physical limitations and wrestling someone he isn't familiar with, it just didn't work. He's one of the best wrestlers of the last 20 years and deserves respect, but he shouldn't be in these situations anymore.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The thing is, and I say this as someone that loves Tanahashi, I don't think he is fixable (in that regard). He's just a 46 year old wrestler with 2500+ matches and he's just kinda broken.

Knee replacements and stem cells (if he can afford either) would be options - if not so he can stage a comeback, just so he can live without pain

On 6/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, Casey said:

AEW wishes they had a talent as incredible as Johnny Swinger!

No kidding. That ham & egger Johnny TV never did a sold out weekend loop around the horn with Cowboy Bob Orton going broadway each and every night, Jack!

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Love is love in Pride month xxx.

That reaction is probably in my top 5 for favorite wrestling moments.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The thing is, and I say this as someone that loves Tanahashi, I don't think he is fixable (in that regard). He's just a 46 year old wrestler with 2500+ matches and he's just kinda broken. New Japan is pretty good on their tours of protecting wrestlers in his physical state (lots of six man tags, etc.) but between his physical limitations and wrestling someone he isn't familiar with, it just didn't work. He's one of the best wrestlers of the last 20 years and deserves respect, but he shouldn't be in these situations anymore.

Agreed. I think he's in a really rough spot. He's still very popular in Japan, and probably is still putting pressure on himself to help draw crowds, but the years have taken their toll.

It's extra sad to me because he demonstrably did very well in leaning out during the pandemic and had a fantastic match with Shingo, really not all that long ago. But...whether his knees won't allow him to do cardio now or whatever the case, the weight seemingly came back and he's now visibly slower.

And honestly, I would think he's not really being set up for success having to sit on a long flight with the state his body appears in. Most normal folks are stiff after having to sit on planes for hours at a time and spending the remainder of a long travel day navigating through airports. For people in pro-wrestling...their knees, hips, and back are probably killing them after these trips, and they still have to wrestle. And in someone like Tanahashi's case, he has to live up to an impossibly high standard.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 2

Another fun Collision and Rampage. Underrated highlight of tonight was Christian's promo, saying he left last week in a bad mood as a reference to that news bit was hilarious, perfect delivery. Andrade looked good again and the main event was a blast, loved the show opening with Survivor Series style team promos. The heat for Punk was amazing, getting huge CM Punk chants on top of simultaneous huge chorus of boos.  Show flew by quick.   Douki with a star making performance on Rampage. I like babyface Jack Perry but figure his eventual turn could be nicely done if they let it play out with no hurry. Enjoyed Skye/Anna and hope Skye wins the Cup.  Very much looking forward to the Forbidden Door. 

• Like 3

I was surprised they had Tanahashi wrestle 24 hours before the match with MJF.  He knows his body but it doesn't seem advisable.  Him and Kingston both in the G1 is asking for trouble.  I think the match with MJF will be good despite his limitations.  It's the opener and the crowd should be electric, Tana still connects and is a great seller and most of the match should be MJF on offense.

Loved Christian's line, "I left last week's show in a bad mood for a lot of reasons...".  Pretty inside.  If you don't know, Meltzer in the Observer quoted an anonymous wrestler who said that in regards to the mood backstage with Punk back...

Andrade's over the post moonsault was insane.  I really like both these guys but this match didn't fully click.  Feels like they're building up to LFI vs. HoB when Rush is back.  the matches should be good but the face/heel stuff is fubar

Kelly absolutely butchered Takeshita's name at one point.  He called Matthews Murphy last week too.  Overall I find him inoffensive.  Don't love or hate him like some do and it's good for Collision to have a different voice.  Nigel is pretty good.

dug the main event, think I liked it better than last weeks.  Everyone was on point, felt like Punk did more than last week, Juicy was great, Cash has looked great lately and almost killed himself old school D-Bry fashion on that dive through the ropes.  very pleasantly surprised to see White pick up the win

I love long multi-person tags where everybody gets time to shine.  Some of my favorite eras of WWE TV for match quality were when Evolution was in 6 and 8 man tags on a regular basis against various babyfaces, and 2013/2014 with the Shield, Danielson, Kane, Orton etc. in great multi-man tags carrying tv for months.

The weeks long slow burn of the Gunns joining Bullet Club seems to have paid off here, looks like they're official.  Perfect fit.  Maybe a bit of an homage to the New Age Outlaws and DX where they were associated on tv for a bit before officially joining?  I dig the Gunns, their theme has long been one of my favorites and their current entrance with the rotating camera and Austin doing the finger guns with the mist is dope.  They've got the right energy for this incarnation of Bullet Club

Crowd was great, heat for Punk was great, Forbidden Door looks great, WAR AEW

• Like 2

The Gunns are making a leap right now. Perfect fit in their current spot glad they joined BCG. Great entrance. Showing some ability to talk and getting very smooth in the ring. Austin has been smooth for a while now and Colton is catching up. Insanely impressive considering how short their careers are to this point. 

• Like 8

I'm not even close to the match yet but I just saw that I will get Buddy Matthews vs Andrade soon! This will begood! The Embassy vs OC and friends was wonderful, Wardlow vs Hager good enough, Storm vs Blue was fire, although Blue was robbed! Main event started out very hot, let's see where it goes!

Edited by Shartnado
added "be" to "this will be", drinks are being consumed!
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/RealJackCassidy/status/1672757485223149568

I unironically love this. The music, the energy -- they're all all-in on the AEW world, but there's just enough of a wink to let us be in on the joke with them. This meets one of my highest bars of wrestling critique, which is "can I send this to a friend who barely cares and be confident they'll appreciate it. "

Edited by Iron Moose
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ya boy forgot to set his DVR for Collision so tonight will be the first time I see Punk actually wrestle on his return. (I have links, thanks, just not time at the moment).

• Like 1

My biggest takeaway from this Collision is not new information. I’ve been saying that Ricky Starks could be HIM if positioned that way. He’s the most charismatic guy in the company, if not the business as a whole. It remains an absolute enigma to me that that greasy haired dork (bay bay) is being positioned as their next top babyface when Stroke Daddy Starks is right there, and Starks has never been the centerpiece of a show that got beaten so bad it had to change nights. I also have gained a new appreciation for Juice Robinson the last few weeks. Add him to the “people more interesting/entertaining than adam Cole” list. It’s a long list, yet every new entry is newsworthy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron Moose said:

No one ever makes the connection, but the underlying music in the Saturday Night's Main Event opening promos (and what AEW's knockoff music is based on) was Stewart Copeland's theme to the 1980s TV series "The Equalizer":

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1