DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

The Punk piece was just him going on the record about shit we already knew he thought and not speaking on stuff he wasn't allowed to. "Nothingburger" is right. If people have a problem with it, I'm sure they're similarly free to comment publicly to the extent Punk was free to. But maybe I should be waiting for Cutler to quote-tweet someone complaining about "gaslighting."

Also, let that forever stand as the answer to people defending Page by asking "what about Eddie and MJF's promos?!"

Wrestling journalists should have to answer for the KENTA stuff. Did he say it and it didn't make the cut? What's going on?

• Like 1

I wouldn't call this a "nothingburger." I also don't think its so easy to dismiss the idea that this is now Punk and AEW (and, yes, Kenny and Page and the Bucks) turning this into a program no matter what Meltzer or even ESPN is reporting (which is that the deal is for there to be a relatively hard brand split or, at the very least, a plan to keep Punk separate from the Elite). 

If this is a work, Punk is now positioning himself as the guy that is willing to reach out and "bury the hatchet" and work with the Elite. The Elite's non-response is basically saying that they think he's toxic and don't want to work with him. To their fans, the Elite are still the babyfaces. Sounds to me like you have the makings for a wrestling feud. 

If this was a shoot and Punk and the Elite really aren't going to work together, well, its pretty fucked up that Punk is basically just re-stating the same thing he said at the media scrum: that the Elite don't know how to make money, don't know how to run a company, etc. Which, if I'm not mistaken, are the same accusations and lines that got him in hot water with Tony and caused all this drama. I know Tony can't control what Punk says in an interview, but is it not odd that he's still calling the Elite unprofessional and only accepting responsibility for not going about things the "right way"? (Which, in wrestling, is in the ring, brother.)

Which is why I'm in the camp that believes they are now building to an eventual storyline showdown. I can also see why they don't want to hotshot it. Right now, they've got Forbidden Door storylines, the BCC/Elite storyline, and seemingly an MJF/Cole storyline already in full swing. They've also got a brand new show to launch built around Punk and a bunch of other talent and I think Tony wants to establish it as a somewhat separate entity not dissimilar to RAW/SD. (I expect MJF to appear on both, by the way.) Then you've also got some question marks around what this new deal with Warner Bros./Discovery is all about. I'm not convinced they got this supposedly massive deal just to add Collision to their network and AEW Access to the Max platform - I think there's going to be a PPV/PLE deal with Max announced by the end of the 2023. Also Wembley.

To make this storyline/angle as "real" as possible, you wouldn't want Punk and Page to necessarily go face-to-face the first night Punk comes back anyway. Remember, the (kayfabe) Page & Elite stance is that they want nothing to do with the guy/are busy with BCC and Takeshita & Callis & Ospreay. Meanwhile, Punk is saying that he tried to work it out, but now, he's focused on making Collision the "A" show. 

I'll certainly and readily eat my hat if they really do never work together (it will be one of those nacho hats from The Simpsons, mind you), but I dunno...seems like Wrestling 101 that if you're doing media and telling fans "It'll never happen!" that that is the first step to promoting a must-see, unpredictable big-time match. And almost exactly 12 years ago, CM Punk did it in the WWE so its hard to say he doesn't at least have *some* experience blending the lines of reality to sell a wrestling match.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The one really weird thing is having an Employee (?) who can't talk to three of the EVPs and will be sharing a building with them at PPVs presumably. I get moving an employee who has an issue with management to another department, etc. That kind of things happens all the time, but the structure where, for instance, one of the Jackson's wives runs merch for the company and merch is a huge way for Punk to make money through the company, seems pretty messed up right?

• Like 2

I think the only real big takeaway from the interview was the clarification on who has tried to reach out to who. I suspected it was Punk reaching out to the Bucks and Omega to discuss matters only for their lawyers to decline any contact from Punk. Others had said it was the reverse. 

I don't know, I think it's a punk bitch move to be in your late 30s and use a fucking lawyer to tell someone they don't want to speak with you. Same shit applies to not talking this shit out. As much as people want to blame Punk, and they're right to do so, an equal amount of blame for the situation not improving can be levied at the Elite. Omega seems like the most level headed person in the bunch and it's not at all surprising that the Christian AF Young Bucks don't want to attempt to try to forgive and forget and move on and instead keep resorting to some high school level bullshit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

"Punk, though, said he had been told that using this saga on television and spinning it into some matches that would undoubtedly draw money won't happen."

This is my key takeaway - The Elite are the ones who won't work with Punk, and not the other way around (according to Phil)

Such a shame - we could have had Punk/FTR vs. Omega/Bucks tomorrow

• Sad 1

Maybe Kenny and the Bucks are afraid it'll be a garbage match because they'll be too worried Punk and his passive aggressive boys will shoot on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Raziel said:

Maybe Kenny and the Bucks are afraid it'll be a garbage match because they'll be too worried Punk and his passive aggressive boys will shoot on them.

I’m on Team Elite, but I can’t see Punk or especially FTR ever doing that 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Bucks dropping the tag titles to Swerve in Our Glory led to the rise of The Acclaimed, but really they only did that to avoid dropping the belts to FTR like they should have

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, elizium said:

I’m on Team Elite, but I can’t see Punk or especially FTR ever doing that 

I wasn't being serious, just riffing on Punk's whining in the article.

• Like 3

Thought the most interesting part of the interview was openly acknowledging the depth issues that the Saturday show could face. Which wouldn't necessarily be the case if all was hunky-dory and we were laying track for everyone to work together at some point. High hopes it works out for the people who are about to get big chances, and will be curious to see if Collision takes different paths toward elevating people than AEW has till now. While it's still Tony's world, there's been talk of other voices like Danielson and Dax being in the mix. There's certainly a risk that this could turn into "Two hour Rampage, with CM Punk!" and we should all want them to avoid that fate. 

Doesn't help that Toronto and nearby Hamilton (from which some people will doubtlessly be travelling for Forbidden Door) were already tapped out before those Collisions were announced, but nothing the talent can do about that. 

When's the last time we heard about who's running merch? We shouldn't be assuming everyone's day-one responsibilities and the structure of the company remain unchanged, but maybe I'm not up on the most recent publicly available talk on that front. 

• Like 1

If I'm Punk, I say fuck it and call out the Elite anyway on Saturday. Call your shot. Turn it into an angle. Force someone to make some money off of this fucking thing. 

And next week I do the same. 

Build it up so much that it's completely unavoidable to have a match.

There's one other thing to all of this that really sticks out to me or reminds me of something and no one else has picked up on it yet. Different circumstances and all that, but this is really reminding me of when Bret Hart took all of that time off and then came back when Steve Austin was constantly calling him out. There were all of these thoughts or rumors that Bret was going to quit or who knew if he'd return. I've been watching a shit load of YouTube videos from that era and so much of this feels like that, but set in a modern era with social media and all of the bullshit that brings with it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Doesn't help that Toronto and nearby Hamilton (from which some people will doubtlessly be travelling for Forbidden Door) were already tapped out before those Collisions were announced, but nothing the talent can do about that. 

I still feel strongly that there needs to be a big angle tomorrow. It can't just be "Hey, CM Punk is wrestling again! What a great trios match and now he's started a feud with Jay White or Samoa Joe! Next week, his first singles match since his return against Juice Robinson! We'll see you next week!"

That's a disaster waiting to happen.

They should lean into the low crowd at the Hamilton show and do something intimate and different with the way it's shot. I've seen someone joke about the HOB lighting, but just have them take over the show or something. Make it so chaotic that people can't look away.

This thing just has too many elements working against it for them to just do Super Rampage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 赤い竜 said:

Tony Khan on Twitter revealed the commentary team for Collision are Kevin Kelly and Nigel McGuinness and Jim Ross. Jim Ross is doing analysis.

You had me until "Jim Ross"

And since they're doubling up Collision and ROH tapings, I wonder if this means Ian is on the way out

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Collision being the first AEW television property without Excalibur does not feel insignificant. 

After the beating Excalibur gave Jimmy Havok they were afraid if another fight broke out and he got involved an actual star would feel the wrath of Excalibur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Bucks dropping the tag titles to Swerve in Our Glory led to the rise of The Acclaimed, but really they only did that to avoid dropping the belts to FTR like they should have

Wasn't it because Jeff Hardy had to bounce though?

• Like 1