DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/3/2023

• MJF/Sammy vs Darby/Jungle Boy: I don't think anyone has been wowed by this title angle. No one's exactly been killing it on the mic. I liked Sammy vs Darby well enough and thought MJF was a lot of fun on commentary. The best part of this overall has been the Sammy/MJF interactions, especially the backstage promo with Renee where they gave each other gifts. In a perfect world, they'd have a lot of big over the top 80s tag team moves that they hit one after another on Darby. We shall see. There's still a month or so to the PPV so who knows how they're going to handle that.
  • Cassidy/Cole/Strong/Bandido vs Hager/Garcia/Menard/Parker: This is one of those pure fun AEW matches, where you have a lot of moving parts and any of them could be entertaining. I'm happy for Strong. That's the joy of AEW. People have been trying to explain it over the last few days, but a guy like Strong can debut and AEW presents him as meaningful and valuable for who he is, not for who some sort of system can make him into. I want to see Cole and Cassidy coexist. I want to see Strong vs all of these guys. I want to see Hager vs Bandido. I want to see Menard and Parker feed for one of these guys after a hot tag. I want to see how babyface Cole stands out next to these guys.
  • Saraya vs Willow: Also happy for Willow for the opponents she's had lately and her collision course with Mercedes Mone. We did get some storyline progression two weeks ago but then it didn't really go anywhere and now we're back in limbo. If we were heading towards Jericho/Saraya vs Cole/Britt or something, this is definitely a side trip. Saraya should be over the moon about the UK ticket sales though and they can milk that for a bit I guess? On paper, it's not the most compelling pairing.
  • Starks vs Juice: I mean, I want to see Starks vs White? This is not Starks vs White. Maybe ELP debuts or something? I was on board with a three week Starks vs Juice feud to give him another win in a series of quick feuds to put him over. I get the value of White and the Bullet Club Gold thing so I was ok with Starks being sort of a "pull off the bandaid" sacrificial lamb or that. This trudging along feels a bit like the worst of both worlds. We should be on to Starks vs Jarrett by this point.
  • Big dumb trios battle royale: I like big dumb trios battle royales!
  • We hear from the Elite: What is this "We" that you speak of? I will do no such thing.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley inside a Steel Cage. It got me thinking about the matches AEW returns to the most and I came up with Omega/Moxley and Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers.

That’s next week. 

I’ve enjoyed the MJF/Sammy pairing, but the continuity nerd in me can’t help remembering that Sammy was the guy who saw through MJF’s BS in the Inner Circle, so it’s kinda hard to reconcile him (seemingly) falling for it now. I hope there’s a twist coming where Sammy reveals he was ahead of MJF all along.

• Like 3

The Pillars tag definitely feels so much like a go-home PPV match that I was convinced the PPV was this weekend.

Also, like almost everybody else, I thought the cage match was this week.

The 8-man makes no sense to me other than that maybe Cole wasn't ready for significant in-ring time so they devised this to help him shake the rust while keeping him on TV due to All Access.

Saraya and Jade have been talking shit back and forth on Twitter so there is some potential for Jade to make a run-in/save even though it would make no sense as she and Willow have been rivals with Jade as the proverbial hill that Willow is trying to conquer (and should have by now, but that dead horse is glue at this point). They might have to do something drastic with Hayter's injury although I've never heard how serious it actually is. All that said, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Saraya beats Willow by cheating and interference, someone like Skye runs in to help and gets a beatdown, and then 3 minutes later Britt makes a save.

Is Buddy out of the country again? The trios battle royale feels like filler.

I think Starks and Juice will be good, but Starks-Switchblade would be great.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JLowe said:

The Pillars tag definitely feels so much like a go-home PPV match that I was convinced the PPV was this weekend.

Also, like almost everybody else, I thought the cage match was this week.

The 8-man makes no sense to me other than that maybe Cole wasn't ready for significant in-ring time so they devised this to help him shake the rust while keeping him on TV due to All Access.

Saraya and Jade have been talking shit back and forth on Twitter so there is some potential for Jade to make a run-in/save even though it would make no sense as she and Willow have been rivals with Jade as the proverbial hill that Willow is trying to conquer (and should have by now, but that dead horse is glue at this point). They might have to do something drastic with Hayter's injury although I've never heard how serious it actually is. All that said, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Saraya beats Willow by cheating and interference, someone like Skye runs in to help and gets a beatdown, and then 3 minutes later Britt makes a save.

Is Buddy out of the country again? The trios battle royale feels like filler.

I think Starks and Juice will be good, but Starks-Switchblade would be great.

Yay. Not just me! Not just me!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley inside a Steel Cage. It got me thinking about the matches AEW returns to the most and I came up with Omega/Moxley and Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers.

According to my brief research Kenny vs Mox is the men’s version of Thunder Rosa vs Dr Britt:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=49845&page=2

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=24914&page=2

And actually (until next week) Mox vs Hangman is more done to death with four meetings between October and March:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=69110&page=2

Edited by LF2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LF2 said:

And actually (until next week) Mox vs Hangman is more done to death with four meetings between October and March:

While I'm not a huge fan of frequent rematches for obvious reasons, I feel like this one shouldn't count - Hangman getting shoot KOed handed them a great story by total happenstance; they'd have been hella dumb not to go back to the well on that one IMO. 

• Like 4

Got my Randy Savage socks on, got my ZSJ shirt on, got my EDIT: not ringside but incredibly hard cam-friendly seats, got my very last-minute sign made. I don't have to tell you who's name is on it. AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 6

47 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Got my Randy Savage socks on, got my ZSJ shirt on, got my ringside seats, got my very last-minute sign made. I don't have to tell you who's name is on it. AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

As someone who generally hates signs at shows, I will be loving this one. That’s awesome. 

• Like 7

Relatively middling show, but some decent stuff on it.

Glad the main is settled, as it should be pretty good. I am going to miss the MJF-Sammy interactions.

Starks-Juice was good, even though the crowd didn’t seem into it. Was convinced there was going to be some Bullet Club bullshit. Glad they realize that Juice doesn’t need to be protected.

Briscoe farm segment was perfection. Extended edition please.

Happy that Blank got a TV payday, even though he was smooshed by Wardlow 

• Like 2

In honor of DEAN, I will only be discussing things that RULED this week. Those things being:

—Main event tag match

—Planet Jarrett visits Briscoe Farm

—Shida return and double swerve

—OC vs Garcia announced for next week

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

The clever thing about the Briscoe Farm bit is that it actually advanced the story with Mark beginning to realize what their game is.

It might be recency bias speaking but that might've been one of the best on location segments they've had since the Acclaimed raps against Global Nonstop Action

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

The clever thing about the Briscoe Farm bit is that it actually advanced the story with Mark beginning to realize what their game is.

While this is true, Mark is going to end up turning all of them babyface if they aren’t careful.

• Like 3

The main, and the whole thing while a bit of formula was well done. Jungle Boy to me got the most out of the match, with Sammy really putting on his working boots. I doubt they move the belt off MJF until London but I have enjoyed the program.

Briscoe Farm stuff has been great - dang we came close to Jarrett singing. 

What I enjoyed the most was in-ring action with real finishes, and just enough vignettes (House of Black was well done too) to move the story along.  I was watching the Starks match and realized hey here is a wrestling show with wrestling. 

• Like 6