DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 4/22/2023

The Natural

Both were solid. Keep an eye on the referee in the Main. He was brought in for a tryout and split the back of his pants big time early in the match. Crowd was giving it to him the rest of the night. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

• The Natural changed the title to AEW Rampage - 4/22/2023
6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Got the date wrong. You fucked up! You fucked up!

Haha 2 for 2 this week, you can't catch a break!

Daniels is a longtime favorite and im always glad to see him, even if the finish here is largely a foregone conclusion. Viking/Dralistico have a bit of an uphill climb luchador wise after Komander's outing on Wednesday but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing 'em try. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

We need OC defending against ALLLLLLLLL the luchadors 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Oddly enough, at the end of this taping, Khan came out for the goodnight/thank you promo with Vikingo(whose match just ended), put him over big time and then introduced OC. Khan left while they posed together at the top of the ramp and OC put his glasses on Vikingo to send the crowd home happy. Perhaps we see those two in a ring at some point?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they started bringing in heavy hitters from IWRG and the other indies, me and DEAN would lose it. Hell, if they brought in Black Terry, Schneider would have a coronary way before either me or DEAN 😆

Well, TK needs to invest in Perquiza Extremas to ROH at least.

• Like 1

It's Jon Moxley and Christopher Daniels!  Daniels doesn't have the motivation of Evil Uno, Brandon Cutler or Michael Nakazawa to make his match transcendent with MOX so this isn't awesome or anything from an emotional standpoint.  I'm sure it will be perfectly fine in the ring.  Great King Kong Lariat into a Piledriver for two!  Daniels makes a comeback.  MOX with a Sleeper!  There ya go.  Taya is going to get a VISUAL PIN Wednesday and then get disqualified, it would appear.  I assume this will be the best match Cargill will be in so far.  I wonder if Jericho is going to sic Tay Melo and Anna J after Britt Baker.  Tay-J vs Baker/Hayter would be good.  It's Julia Hart and Kiera Hogan going at it.  Hogan is spunky!  This is better than Julia vs Anna J.  Also very short.  HEY! speaking of Anna J!  Then it goes all Memphis, as Jay Lethal and Jeff Jarrett tag with FTR for a few minutes until it becomes obvious that Sanjay paid off the Varsity Athletes!  Or something.  And it does give us Slim J and Dax Harwood and EVEN BETTER Slim J and Cash Wheeler.  THEN it's Slim J and Jay Lethal.  So it's the best wrestlers in AEW take a few turns at SLim J- the unknown best wrestler in AEW.  I dig goober booking with insane ringwork.  I assume this leading to FTR vs Lethal/Jarrett eventually.  Once again the main event is here to save this episode's bacon.  MAN!  Vikingo's bump to nowhere on the floor is fucking insane.  This is one thing after another. AND they are laying it in. In picture in picture, RUSH and Preston Vance CHEAT!  Dralistico is a good rudo in this- beating on the technico so the crowd gets into the upcoming insane lunatic comeback that Vikingo is going to unleash.  HOLY SHIT!  CANADIAN DESTROYER ONTO THE APRON!  LFI gets kicked out of ringside!  Man, Dralistico is fucking great in this.   This was fucking GREAT- especially because it was so different than the other three matches Vikingo has had in AEW.  This felt more like what the Kenny Omega match would have been like if there was any doubt as to who was winning that one.  BACON SAVED!  45 minutes of nonsense, 15 minutes of a wildly stiff lucha battle!  AEW RULES THE MOTHRFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Pretty basic episode but alright. 

- Poor Daniel's fucking eye

- I caught an SS DECONTROL shirt in the crowd! Awesome. 

- You forget how tiny Kiera Hogan is. Jim Ross says that the match is a good chance for her to go away and come back to win... before the match is even over and she has lost. Jesus fucking Christ, Jim. Somebody please reserve the man a bed in a good home before it's too late. And of course he sneaks in a "Jezebel" at the very, veeeeeeeery end.

- The eight man was fun. I imagine a face Slim J vs. a heel JJ on the indies (or here) would be pretty good as long as Jarrett can base okay.

- Dralistico spends the entire match striking? Alright. Would have been nice to hear the crowd response for it. Despite that he bleeds from the chest so you can't say Vikingo doesn't hold up his end. At first I thought it was body acne in the old Mistico tradition but somebody with better than eyes than me will have to confirm. Did not recognize/could not identify Preston Vance at all. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Well, TK needs to invest in Perquiza Extremas to ROH at least.

HOLY CRAP THEY ARE EVIL GIANT FAT-ASS PIG DUDES, THIS RULES

EDIT: You know, this is exactly what would be playing on the Cook's TV in Spun.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

HOLY CRAP THEY ARE EVIL GIANT FAT-ASS PIG DUDES, THIS RULES

EDIT: You know, this is exactly what would be playing on the Cook's TV in Spun.

Pig Destroyer, Pig Decapitator, Pig Pool, Pig Destructor and Pig Desenterrador!  They are all giant refrigerators being thrown off a porch.

• Like 6

The introduction to Perquiza Extremas has been my favorite thing to come out of the DVDVR Weekly Polls.  I will now be totally disappointed if they do not show up on Elevation and wrestle Dark Order to a twenty minute Double DQ.

A short albeit fun Rampage.  Vikingo finally wrestles the match we knew he had in him.  I was also particularly fond of the Hart - Jay potato fest at the end of Julia's match with Kiera Hogan.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Mox v Daniels was a nice little TV bout. I felt a bit uneasy about nasty heel Mox showing post match respect to the Fallen Angel. Even tho the later backstage segment was a touch goofy, I'm glad they rectified that. The execution of Moxley's piledriver is very good, but does his inability to ever win a match with it qualify it for one of the worst of all time? I dig Mark Sterling, but rarely do these contract stipulations do anything but decrease the value of the match. Taya's big, has made a bit of a name around the industry, and presents a decent challenge for the undefeated champion. Isn't that enough to work with for both she and Jade to could cut a decent promo with? These dumb little stories they shoehorn in aren't necessary. Those Pillars have been studying Jeff Hardy promos I bet. Jeff should have just did the look around, accept his 'welcome back', and take his beating. Seems Hook is suddenly very beatable. The Firm rolled over him quickly. Such a dumb segment. I like Stokely, I think, but his promos are almost always kinda shitty. Keith Lee and Dustin Rhodes are a nice tag team. I think I prefer Big Keith in the tag division. Hogan v Hart wasn't much. The postmatch brawl was slightly awkward, but they straightened with a hockey fight that was far better than what we usually see on AEWTV. Anna's got some fire. JR gets his dated 'Jezebel' line in there. Somebody help him to stop. Please. Just edited out even. The 8 Man tag was good enough. Really enjoyed seeing Slim J (with his awful new gold tights) work both Dax and Cash. Cash made this fun while it lasted. This could have been really good with a little more time. Looking forward to the singles and eventual tag from the Lethal/Jarrett-FTR combo. That's assuming we get the deserved Cash-Lethal bout for Rampage. C'mon Tony, it's not asking much, book that shit! And give it some deserved time. Dralistico v Vikingo was fun. Dralistico, the character, seems like a complete moron the way he takes the strong advantage and proceeds to waste time. Wish JR had pointed that out. He seemed amost too much on his best behaviour during this one. Where are Vikingo's friends? He seems like a likeable guy, no? This Rampage show continues to be completely overstuffed. Every week it feels like if they were to cut a segment and let it breathe it would be A whhhoooole lot better. The Main Event preview package felt like a video package equivalent of Excalibur's micromachine previews. Breathing exercises for the entire Rampage production staff. C'mon Tony, book it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was the first time I've seen Julia Hart in a match since... ever maybe, and I feel that everyone who told me how good she's doing now should apologize for the lies they've told. She's young as hell so she may becomes something at some point but basically doing a community theater level take on spooky Alexa Bliss without actually being any better in-ring than Bliss is an awful combination. Just let her stand in the background with a witch's hat on rather than give her a 20+ match win streak, I recall someone who used the sports term "they're a year away from being a year away" and it seems very appropriate here.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

This guy just said Stokely is a shitty promo.

Boo this man.

To be clear, I also said I like Stoke. He's got character and ability. I always want to like his promos, but yeah, his promos are often kinda shitty. Case in point this Rampage bit.