DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Netflix is trying to convince me not to cancel my subscription by announcing Top Boy S3 starting on 7 September.

Their plan might work.

There's a second season I have to watch still? Cool. 

...I still can't understand a word they're saying though

For whatever reason this popped into my recommended videos today. I haven’t done any rewatches of Vice Principals and now I feel like I should. Lee Russell is a national treasure.

” You dusty old queef!” “No one gets my sense of humor!”

• Haha 2

On 8/23/2023 at 7:27 PM, Craig H said:

For whatever reason this popped into my recommended videos today. I haven’t done any rewatches of Vice Principals and now I feel like I should. Lee Russell is a national treasure.

” You dusty old queef!” “No one gets my sense of humor!”

I find myself wanting to say, "Eat shit, Gamby!" to no one in particular about once a week, just because it's good for the soul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've never seen that and now I must.

Oh. Dude. You are in for a fucking treat. It's only three seasons and it was made to basically be a movie trilogy, just done in season form. A lot of the episodes pull inspiration from 80s movies.

Gemstones is great and all, but I think the high water mark is still Vice Principals. However, I'm more than willing to watch a shitload of video clips of Lee Russell and Baby Billy to make a final determination. 

"I don't give a fuck about these ducks!" "Why do you keep checking your phone? Ain't nobody fucking calling you."

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, odessasteps said:

New pod - welcoming @dannyslacks1 to discuss the surreal comedy greatness that was Green Acres.  The Hooterville trilogy, metatext abounds and  Arnold the Pig steals the show.

Http://Tinyurl.com/winter122

Man did I enjoy listening to that. I've never thought of the show in a meta context but I have always thought that Sam Drucker was a small town kingpin that knew where all of the bodies were buried and wasn't afraid to get medieval on Mr. Haney's ass if he has to. 

• Like 1

Bob's Burgers returns for Season 14 on October 1.  

... and as much as I love the show, it may be time to start figuring out when it will end.  Especially before they reach Simpsons-style awfulness. 

I was hyped to see the movie... until I found out it was a musical. 

Why do adult cartoons in this country have such an obsession with showtunes? Family Guy is the worst with them on top of it totally depending on tasteless edgelord "humor" now. (Seth MacFarlane has a bunch of big band albums to his credit. Go figure.)

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was hyped to see the movie... until I found out it was a musical. 

Why do adult cartoons in this country have such an obsession with showtunes? Family Guy is the worst with them on top of it totally depending on tasteless edgelord "humor" now. (Seth MacFarlane has a bunch of big band albums to his credit. Go figure.)

That arguably goes all the way to Silly Symphonies and Merry Melodies. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

Maybe this is a personal problem that I need to work through, but I could never get into Jason Segal as Paul Westhead on Winning Time, because it always felt like he was playing Marshall Eriksen as a basketball coach. Of course, I run into that line of thinking with everything Segal does?

That said, I think Adrian Brody has been the best part of season 2 so far.

• Like 1

L.A. LAW is finally streaming on Prime. Given my Steven Bochco fandom I couldn't be happier. I totally forgot how cute Susan Ruttan was as Roxanne. I also forgot what magnificent hair Corbin Bernsen had!

James

Edited by J.H.

I’m less than 10 minutes into the first episode of SPECIAL OPS: LIONESS and I’ve already seen one woman blown up and another the victim of domestic violence, if you’re wondering how things are going in Taylor Sheridan’s universe.