DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

My wife and I saw that Wheel Of Fortune thing live and had a bit of a laugh, but this woman getting trashed alllllll over the place, on news sites, social media, and the way some of y'all here are talking about her, is really fucked up and cruel.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

I've actually been rewatching Archer recently and I've got to say, I can understand why I lost track of the show the first time around. The first few seasons are fucking PHENOMENAL, and have aged well even if there are certain aspects in the writing that would probably not fly these days... but then when they start to get cute with the "fantasized" seasons, it pales in comparison. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the coma seasons, but they definitely aren't on the same level. The seasons after Archer woke have been better.

Until that I had never noticed the similarities between Futurama and Archer. Kind of amazing that many traits are shared and yet the characters are so incredibly different from each other still.

I have no idea where we are supposed to put Winning Time Lakers series so I will put it here.  Watched the first episode and it is great as a show.   Now whether it is actually accurate I don't really know.   Frankly because it is so crazy I hope that it is.  Some of the really funny shit so far:

1.  The idea that the NBA was so incompetent and broke that they are struggling to find the coin for the 1st round pick seems dumb but not completely wrong

2.  As someone from West Virginia who has been taught the lore of Jerry West,  seeing him as a loud mouth arrogant miserable asshole is something.  Basically a guy who is pissed off every day that he is considered a great player who almost always lost.    I have no idea if he destroyed the MVP on the year he lost the finals is true but hilarious.   Although they completely left out that he did win in 1972-73 with one of the greatest teams of all time.  but since they beat the Knicks and not the Celtics it doesn't fit the story

3.  The biggest question mark is whether asshole Jerry West actually wanting to draft Sidney Moncrief in the 1st round instead of Magic.   Although given that supposedly everyone in his family except Magic wanted to him to go to the Bulls that was interesting.   Imagine history if Magic goes to the Bulls.  Maybe Jordan doesn't go.  

4.  I don't want to believe that Kareem loved to tell everyone to fuck off including the little kid in the Airplane movie but damn that was funny.   Also Norm Nixon being the cockiest mother fucker afraid of his spot on a shitty team was great.  

Also funny how Jack Kent Cooke is portrayed as a sexist racist mother fucker is funny.  While given his history the sexist part seems very accurate.   So many funny shit on just the first show alone.  Magic goes to a "Whites only" party thinking it was racist as fuck and then finding out that it was a Donald Sterling party.     

First show is a sign this is going to be a classic.  

• Like 4

I'll co-sign on Winning Time being really good, John C. Reilly was the perfect choice for Jerry Buss and Jason Clarke stole the first episode as Jerry West.

I watched a few episodes of Joe vs. Carole and it's decent but looks so cheap, the CGI animals look like something from 10 years ago and it was shot in Australia so it has a weird look. John Cameron Mitchell and Kate McKinnon do the best they can as the title characters, they're in a tough spot since both Joe Exotic and Carole Baskin are such bizarre human beings. Kyle MacLachlan is amazing as Howard Baskin, if it was just a show about Howard Baskin I would have binged the entire series.

• Like 1

Count me as a 3rd endorsement for Winning Time. John C Reilly makes Jerry Buss seem so fuckin affable and Clarke really makes Jerry West seem like the most miserable human being to ever walk the earth. Its every bit comedy as it is drama and I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

James

• Like 1

I just cancelled HBOma, so I wont watch it for a while, but there's a review of winning time on Daily Beast that trashes it, saying that the show wants you to like the characters while they are trash. After reading it, I was wondering if the author actually read the book its based on, because everyone in the book is also a huge piece of shit.

31 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I just cancelled HBOma, so I wont watch it for a while, but there's a review of winning time on Daily Beast that trashes it, saying that the show wants you to like the characters while they are trash. After reading it, I was wondering if the author actually read the book its based on, because everyone in the book is also a huge piece of shit.

To be fair - the book was written by Jeff Pearlman who always makes everyone look like a huge piece of shit whether it was true or not

• Like 1

Count me in for digging that first episode of Winning Time. I now see why Adam McKay made the switch from Will Ferrell to John C. Reilly. It sucks that it was the final nail in the coffin of their friendship, but it was a business move that needed to happen because Reilly is killing it in this role and I don't think Ferrell would be able to pull it off nearly as well.

All of the shit with Kareem had me cracking up.

• Like 1

It is something that Magic was so pissed off by the portrayal that he pretty much created his own docu-series.   So either the perception of Jerry West is largely accurate and he just accepted it or Jerry West just doesn't give a crap what people think of him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Count me in for digging that first episode of Winning Time. I now see why Adam McKay made the switch from Will Ferrell to John C. Reilly. It sucks that it was the final nail in the coffin of their friendship, but it was a business move that needed to happen because Reilly is killing it in this role and I don't think Ferrell would be able to pull it off nearly as well.

All of the shit with Kareem had me cracking up.

There is no way Ferrel could have played Buss. Reilly is practically a doppelganger, and can you know, act.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, Raziel said:

I had to stop watching Wheel with my wife, because she get's actively hostile when anyone buys a vowel.  Seriously, she yells at the TV anytime she hears the "I'd like to buy..."

Role reversal in this household, I hate when people needlessly buy vowels.

Glad I am not alone in enjoying Winning Time. It is a lot of fun. Some notes from the above being a huge NBA nerd:

1) The NBA was in a lot of trouble around this time. The NBA Finals were not even shown live at the time. It seems wild to think that was the case but it was.

2) Jerry West has an excellent autobiography where he gets into his many mental health. The other books from the era that include him also show him to be a pretty angry and unhappy person.

3) Kareem was also a renowned jerk to people asking for his autographs and the like. Really smart, sensitive person but someone who definitely wanted to be left alone.

4) The “All White” party was hosted by future Clippers owner Donald Sterling who used to host those parties and creep out all in attendance. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Now really starting to be half series about needing a sub folder for Video Game adaptations

Fucking NO ONE but Judge will be accepted as Kratos.