DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

I had forgotten that Gregory Sierra was the original Lieutenant on Miami Vice and got killed off after a couple episodes. 

that said, Olmos has some great TV archive interviews on YT about how he had creative control over Castillo and why he played him the way he did. 

edit: it’s great that the bad guy in Olmos’ first episode is Dennis Farina. 

Edited by odessasteps

I watched the first episode of Reacher last night and I didn't hate it.  I mean, ABC in the role (Anyone But Cruise), but Alan Ritchson is one seriously large, imposing dude.  Pretty much every scene exudes something that makes you think whoever dreamed up Bane as a Batman villain was probably reading Lee Child books and never caught the creative bleedover.  But it's oftentimes funny in an exceedingly dry way for an American show, which I'm quite happy about.  Interested to see where it goes.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is on Colbert right now and maybe also on a lot of drugs. A good friend I called last night (and is unfortunately a new father and his wife and the kid might be leaving him) is on a lot of drugs. THIS guy sounds and might look worse than him. The suit doesn't help. 

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is on Colbert right now and maybe also on a lot of drugs. A good friend I called last night (and is unfortunately a new father and his wife and the kid might be leaving him) is on a lot of drugs. THIS guy sounds and might look worse than him. The suit doesn't help. 

To be fair - that was more just normal JGL

My bigger problem was wearing dotted socks with a checkerboard suit

Yeah that just looked like JGL’s normal quirkiness to me. If you want to see someone clearly on drugs on Late Night there’s the entire Harmony Korine saga, including when he was banned for life for stealing from Meryl Streep’s purse. 

• Haha 1

So our baby sitter has Peacock and I'm on a rewatch of Cheers. I haven't watched a full episode in over a decade and from episode 1 onward its just funny. Oo much network comedy leaves me stone faced that it feels good to smile and laugh, even if it is to a show that had been in cinstant reruns for ages.

James

• Like 1

It's a show, as an adult, I can look at the creators' track record and it's greatness all makes sense. 

It's amazing to track ertain TV legends from their start and see how many great shows they worked on. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

The Man Who Fell To Earth

Chiwetel Ejiofor and Naomie Harris (along with a big old supporting cast - like Bill Nighy is right there in the screen cap)

First two episodes hit Showtime on April 24

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It's a show, as an adult, I can look at the creators' track record and it's greatness all makes sense. 

It's amazing to track ertain TV legends from their start and see how many great shows they worked on. 

I think what gets me is how much I love Cheers  but can only stand Frasierto a point so it is kinda weird. It might be I just identify with the everyman vibe of Cheers and the snootiness of Frasier can grate after awhile (though wheever Lilith shows up always makes for good fun)

James

I just started Abbott Elementary last night and am through 1.5 episodes. Comedy nerds have mixed thoughts on it, at least the early episodes, because it follows almost all of the same exact beats as The Office and its progeny.

My thoughts: This is a really fun and funny show so far. The characters are well-defined right out of the gate. And it gets all of the details exactly right.

EXAMPLE: They start the second episode by talking about Action News, which is the only newscast here in Philly anyone cares about. One of the characters talks about her crush on erstwhile local broadcasting legend Jim Gardner. She mentions she saw him order at Chipotle once. The school is located in West Philly. The Action News Studios are also located in West Philly, and a Chipotle is within shouting distance of said studio. It rings so true to me that she would see Jim Gardner getting a plant-based chorizo bowl. 

If they put in that much thought about the local details, they absolutely put in the work to get the school component right. By all accounts, this is certainly the case. 

Really great start and I can see what this has caught on so quickly.

22 hours ago, J.H. said:

So our baby sitter has Peacock and I'm on a rewatch of Cheers. I haven't watched a full episode in over a decade and from episode 1 onward its just funny. Oo much network comedy leaves me stone faced that it feels good to smile and laugh, even if it is to a show that had been in cinstant reruns for ages.

James

I just recently watched the two part "Woody's Wedding" Cheers and it's one of the funniest hours of TV ever. It's amazing.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

After repeatedly having it suggested to me by numerous people, I finally decided to sit down on Sunday night and watch the first episode of Ted Lasso while I had some laundry in the dryer. I've since binged both seasons and I have to say it may be in my top 5 of all time favorite shows. Just brilliantly written. Cast is awesome too. If you had told me a few years ago that not only was the sadistic "SHAME!" nun from Game of Thrones incredibly hot but that she could sing her ass off I'd have doubted you big time but wow does Hannah Waddingham have a set of pipes on her. I seriously have fallen in love with this show, and can't reccomend it enough to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's worth Apple TV+ just for this show.

• Like 5

Sam Waterston is 82 (yes, 82. So apparently Muga is gonna start again with Fujiwara as joint headliner) and was just on Colbert. He lightened my heart a lot tonight.

EDIT: Sophia Bush laid the most existential, perfect question on Stephen. He had barely an answer. 

Edited by Curt McGirt