Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21


Recommended Posts

I think not coming out and advertising him so it's a "surprise" is incredibly stupid and will not be shocked in the least if the rating is a huge disappointment. Punk would get the same exact response if you had someone go on Dynamite last night and challenge him to show up and by telling everyone he will be there will draw a huge rating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just came up with this in the Discord: Cabana comes out to "Cult of Personality" and turns heel. 

Punk definitely needs to show.  Chiraq would go ape shit for an official Second City Saints reunion even if it was for one night only.

We fucking lost our minds for Roppongi Vice for fucks sake.

Bonus if Excalibur name drops SCS when Punk comes out.

Edited by J.T.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If Darby doesn’t repel from the top of the building, I’m going to be upset. You book that thing for Punk, but you book a building with a huge ceiling for both Sting, and Darby to enter from.

I am the only person predicting this stunt.

I don't know if you remember when Sting came down from the ceiling there in '97, but it took forever, he had to wear brown leather construction gloves, and the only spot to safely drop him from was like a mile from the ring. I think that stunt rightfully died with Owen. The Zipline thing is the closest they should come to it. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really feels like the calm before the storm this morning.  I'm currently starting to build up AEW in my Fire Pro game and just simmed Darby vs. Punk for giggles (Darby won BTW)  I have a feeling the closer it gets the more excited I'll be.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It really feels like the calm before the storm this morning.  I'm currently starting to build up AEW in my Fire Pro game and just simmed Darby vs. Punk for giggles (Darby won BTW)  I have a feeling the closer it gets the more excited I'll be.

To go with, Bryan Danielson vs. CM Punk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They've been playing up the Darby Allin line about being best in the world, but I don't think he's publicly booked for this show right? Everyone assumed that would be where Punk comes in, but have they now moved Moxley to that spot? Or is Moxley referencing someone else and we get two debuts tonight? Open with Allin coming out to be interrupted by Punk, the crowd settles down thinking they've got their surprise comeback, then Danielson shows up later to face down Moxley when nobody's expecting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It really feels like the calm before the storm this morning.  I'm currently starting to build up AEW in my Fire Pro game and just simmed Darby vs. Punk for giggles (Darby won BTW)  I have a feeling the closer it gets the more excited I'll be.

definitely enjoyed (and wished I'd come up with) the running twitter joke last night about it being "CM Punk Eve, so remember to leave out Pepsi and cookies"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Swift said:

They've been playing up the Darby Allin line about being best in the world, but I don't think he's publicly booked for this show right? Everyone assumed that would be where Punk comes in, but have they now moved Moxley to that spot? Or is Moxley referencing someone else and we get two debuts tonight? Open with Allin coming out to be interrupted by Punk, the crowd settles down thinking they've got their surprise comeback, then Danielson shows up later to face down Moxley when nobody's expecting it.

I kind of think after Wednesday that we might get a gloating MJF promo just to hear the largest AEW crowd ever boo him out of the building to Punk's music hitting. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I kind of think after Wednesday that we might get a gloating MJF promo just to hear the largest AEW crowd ever boo him out of the building to Punk's music hitting. 

There's a promo that writes itself about how they're all idiots for chanting for a guy who wanted nothing to do with them for years and that went off to live his dreams, poorly, in MMA, comics, acting, and watching hockey instead of being a part of their life and MJF is definitely the person to say it. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At some point, someone needs to do the Flair/Funk (essentially) double turn from 89. "....I mean Terry you're out here doing Hollywood movies." "You know what Ric? You're right. I apologize." Then....**WHAM**

Fucking tremendous stuff.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went back and watched Rick Rude coming out in a mask to confront Shane Douglas.  Some people in the crowd knew who he was, but it wasn't until he spoke, that the crowd came unglued. "It's a new year, Shane Douglas." Great stuff.  Now, I'm sure that wouldn't work for CM Punk at this stage (or maybe it would, considering he's been doing it on the Indy scene sparingly over the last few years, might be a way to go) but, I definitely think it could be done with Bryan Danielson.

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's a promo that writes itself about how they're all idiots for chanting for a guy who wanted nothing to do with them for years and that went off to live his dreams, poorly, in MMA, comics, acting, and watching hockey instead of being a part of their life and MJF is definitely the person to say it. 

"he hates you people even more than I do! And you know it!"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

I went back and watched Rick Rude coming out in a mask to confront Shane Douglas.  Some people in the crowd knew who he was, but it wasn't until he spoke, that the crowd came unglued. "It's a new year, Shane Douglas." Great stuff.  Now, I'm sure that wouldn't work for CM Punk at this stage (or maybe it would, considering he's been doing it on the Indy scene sparingly over the last few years, might be a way to go) but, I definitely think it could be done with Bryan Danielson.

Yep, I saw that moment again recently.  Good stuff though the hands on hips pose plus Rude's build gave it away long before he spoke.  I think it's doable with Punk though with all this hype just have him come out without all that.

Now Danielson on the other hand, that I can see happening.  Maybe with baggier clothes but imagine him standing there as part of somebody's security crew.  Then he goes in the corner and does the "Yes" pose (if he's still gonna do that)  The place go absolutely insane.  I mean it almost feels like something WWE would do but in this case I think it would be warranted.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I kind of think after Wednesday that we might get a gloating MJF promo just to hear the largest AEW crowd ever boo him out of the building to Punk's music hitting. 

Him coming out to cult of personality and mocking the fact that the fans fell for it would be epic levels of heat.  I would want to see CM Punk vs MJF more than MJF and Sammy, or punk-allin.  I say pull the trigger on that match and that would be worth the price of admission alone at All Out.

"You think you're better than the Best in the World?"

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

definitely enjoyed (and wished I'd come up with) the running twitter joke last night about it being "CM Punk Eve, so remember to leave out Pepsi and cookies"

For Bryan Danielson, lumberjack shirts and save Daisy from Cattle Mutilation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The Zipline thing is the closest they should come to it. 

The new Botchamania has a horrendous ziplining of a guy in a Spider-Man gimmick where he keeps stopping... sliding a little further, stopping... rinse and repeat. It's both sad and terrifying. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just came up with this in the Discord: Cabana comes out to "Cult of Personality" and turns heel. 

MJF doing it would probably cause a legit riot. I could see that swarmy lil bastard doing every mannerism too. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

When’s the last time you’ve felt like that over wrestling?

But twice in the last 20 years probably (Omega/Okada IV and the Daniel Bryan stuff in 2013/14). 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

First Dynamite for me. Got all excited for a show where the big surprise at the end was Jack Swagger. 

If nothing else, you are a first rate troll. Consistent quality stuff.

IQwrestler talking about music video people going hard for the grindhouse look was no joke. Deadlock also did a Punk vid today with the grindhouse effect.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I cannot concentrate on anything today.

I was fine in the morning but when coming back on from lunch it's been the same with me.  The closer it gets the more the anticipation intensifies.

Also I know Natural tends to do this but want so spare a thought for @Craig H.  Congrats in advance to him for having another little one but I feel for him having to not do Rampage as a result.  But his priorities are in the right place.  I don't know if he'd be interested or have a chance but there's always the other Chicago shows leading up to All Out.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...