DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

1 hour ago, eikerir said:

1ohvdmi2iaj71.png

Awesome poster made by reddit user u/ThreeBeatDesigns with the whole promo.

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would keep an eye on this one.  According to the discussion he reached out to Pro Wrestling Tees about hopefully selling through there.  If that doesn't work out then he'll put it on his RedBubble page.  Either way I may need to consider a spot on the wall.

Great find, @eikerir. Cheers. Like, @NikoBaltimore, I can see that getting sold on Pro Wrestling Tees and shopaew.com.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Jake said it best in his HOF speech: "We fuck with peoples' emotions." This is literally why we are here. I bet a good amount of people giving that guy a hard time are coming from a place of jealousy, wishing they could feel that again, and in the end, that's pretty sad. We need to be way more open about these things societally - it's probably part of a way bigger conversation about what positive masculinity is, but I'm not smart enough to have it.

For the record, I cried watching Starrcade '97, WM XX, WM XXX, the 1/4/10 RAW/Impact head to head, live at Takeover 25 (did you know that building has an Irish pub in it?) and the first Dynamite episode. Nearly cried Friday, too.

Edit: Forgot Guilty as Charged '00 (Knew it was the end.)

Feel your feelings, everyone.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I think with Jericho not in the booth it gave Mark more of a chance to chime in.  And I really like what I heard from him so far.  I don't hate Jericho on commentary but hope he knows to lay out a bit more.

Give me of the fan crying at CM Punk, Amanda Nunes looking like she's never seen pro wrestling, Matt Cardona getting nuclear old school territory heat for beating Nick Gage and way less CLAPCLAPSMRKYBULLSHITCLAPCLAPCLAP at wrestling shows

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Y'all need to watch this.

Loved the production crew feed during Punk’s entrance. 

There is a moment where they really nailed it. Camera is on Punk hugging a fan, cut to the crying fan and then cut back just in time for Punk diving in the crowd. When it happened all the video guys marked out for a little bit ?.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I imagine there were high 5's all around once they went to commercial.  It looks frantic but their enthusiasm was infectious.

If you could see a split-screen with a similar situation from RAW, I'd like to imagine it would look like the "good trip vs bad trip" scene from 22. Jump Street!

• Haha 4

On the most recent What Happened When podcast with Conrad Thompson, AEW announcer Tony Schiavone gave some behind-the-scenes details on CM Punk's arrival last Friday on Rampage including a scrapped plan that would have seen him be the first person to introduce him.

Schiavone said Tony Khan texted him after their run-through for the show and said he was considering having him introduce Punk. Schiavone said he would be honored, but wanted whatever he said to be minimal. After Punk arrived, they discussed it and determined it would be best for Punk to do it alone.

However, Punk said he wanted to have Schiavone conduct his interview with him on Wednesday's Dynamite in traditional style and not jerk the microphone out of his hand like others have done.

In the lead-up for Rampage, including when the team was going over the rundown, Punk was only referred to as "special guest." Punk's locker room that night also only said "special guest."

When Punk arrived, he had several people with him including Lou D'Angeli (Sign Guy Dudley in ECW) and another person Thompson suggested Schiavone not say as he might get in trouble for it. Schiavone said Punk was a great guy backstage to which Thompson agreed, recapping their experience at Starrcast.

Punk told Schiavone said he wasn't sure what he was going to say or how, but that he had a lot of things on his mind. The only thing he was asked to say or set up was the Darby Allin match for All Out.

Schiavone said he was next to Khan in the go position when Punk went out and that everyone from the back came out to watch the promo unfold including Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks so they could feel it from behind the curtain. Afterward, everyone was excited including Women's Champion Britt Baker who was thrilled that Punk mentioned her name during the promo.

Later, a group of people including Khan and his girlfriend, Punk and his entourage, Britt Baker, Rebel, Schiavone, Orange Cassidy and Jeff Jones went to get dinner around midnight. Schiavone said he stayed up all night because he got back to his hotel so late and had a 5:30 AM flight, but it was such a big moment that he was so excited.

Schiavone said it was a top five moment for him and joked with Khan about sending out the tweet that this was the biggest night in the history of the sport which Khan wholeheartedly supported.

• Like 3

Talking to Dan Le Batard on a podcast Wednesday, AEW's Tony Khan said his deal to bring in CM Punk is one of the best he has ever done in his life, even after just one night.

Khan said it's the best weekend AEW has ever had between their record attendance for Rampage at the United Center, record-breaking social media metrics and being told from ESPN that their traffic for a social media post about Punk's return was the best they have done since May which includes the Olympics.

"For fans, if there is something to motivate you to get back into wrestling, this is it," Khan said.

He said the deal with Punk was not just about money, but when pressed by Le Batard on whether Punk paid for himself on his first day, Khan said, "Yeah, I think he did."

While he would have wanted Punk for the launch of AEW, he understood him not wanting to be the guinea pig for the launch of a new product and that everything worked out perfectly for him signing as they have been able to build new stars since then.

For Friday's debut, the plan all along was for 99% of the fans to believe Punk was going to be there but to still leave that 1% of doubt to add some intrigue. Tony Schiavone talked about the lead-up to Punk's debut backstage on his podcast Wednesday as well.

Punk debuts on AEW Dynamite Wednesday for an interview with Schiavone.

• Like 2