DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I was looking for a trailer to start this thread off and I don't think this ever came up

Ragnarok

Hits Jan 31

Ragnarok A Norwegian series that blends legends of Norse mythology with a coming-of-age drama, set in the fictional town of Edda where no one is who they seem

It's 4 episodes in, with two more airing Friday night, but season 2 of 'Joe Pera Talks to You' is on and it's just great.  I mean this entire season is book-ended by whether or not he can grow a bean arch.  It's my favourite show in years. It's funny, silly, weird, relaxing and completely moving and heart-warming.  I love it to bits.

• Like 4

Pera was on Colbert and I wasn't sure if he was in on his own joke or not, or if it IS a joke. He's supposed to be a comedian but this was so... well, it was Kaufman-esque and uncomfortable. That was probably the point. What makes it weirder is he looks and sounds just like a good friend of mine who's drummed in a band with me for years and is a mortician, so now I'm thinking of Joe Pera standing at attention at funerals and moving bodies. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching the most recent season of Agents of SHIELD.  The 13-ep switch was a good one and probably a year too late.  I was glad to see all the MacGuffins from prior seasons actually get tied together in a halfway reasonable manner and pay off for something, which I wasn't expecting.  It's too bad that now the final season will have a ton of lame bullshit that probably won't be the least bit interesting or satisfying, since the villains are dumb and the setup they're going for with the team is also dumb.  Ridiculous the number and extent of hoops they've gone through to keep Coulson on the show, which just raises the question of, "Why not Tony Stark?" and the answer is really only "We can't afford RDJ and he (rightly) believes he's too old."  Needs more Ghost Rider, but we will probably get zero Ghost Rider.

And also in the ridiculous-but-addictive garbage category, I binged the most recent season of The Magicians.  Strange how far away from the books they've gotten while still finding the occasional way to loop back to them.  Don't know what the next season is going to look like given the ending, but this has always been a How I Met Your Mother-type show anyway, so, probably fine.

And then I decided to start watching Outlander and damn that was a lot of sex in the first 25 minutes. I mean, I knew the books were romance novels, but hey, whatever.  I don't know how long I'll actually stick with it, but there are only the 3 seasons on Netflix anyway.

Edited by Contentious C

On 1/1/2020 at 2:43 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Pera was on Colbert and I wasn't sure if he was in on his own joke or not, or if it IS a joke. He's supposed to be a comedian but this was so... well, it was Kaufman-esque and uncomfortable. That was probably the point. What makes it weirder is he looks and sounds just like a good friend of mine who's drummed in a band with me for years and is a mortician, so now I'm thinking of Joe Pera standing at attention at funerals and moving bodies. 

That's part of the fun with Pera, how much is an act and how much is legit.  I saw a fellow comedian/friend of his make reference to him training to be a deacon and it seems perfectly possible, as well as possibly a little joke at how straight-laced he appears. 

He was on Seth Myers recently as well, and was much more natural possibly because he'd previously been on the show (And hired Myers' cameraman to be an actor on his series!).

On 1/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, odessasteps said:

Lily Tomlin officiated Kathy Griffin's wedding yesterday. 

I can only hope she did at Ernenstine, the telephone operator. 

This is the best news I've heard since I found out that Jane Wiedlin formerly of the Go-Gos is an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church and can be booked to perform weddings.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Watching the pilot of Green Acres on Prime.

i totally did not remember it is built around the plot being narrated in a TV studio by John Daly of What’s  My Line.

and look at all this metatext. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

Oh man, Comet added MST3K!

(I think, I mean, this is the first I've seen it.)

I don't have cable, just one of those digital antennas, so this is awesome.

There is some good stuff on terrestrial tv. I don't get many channels, but theres some solid stuff on.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

There is some good stuff on terrestrial tv. I don't get many channels, but theres some solid stuff on.

I remember them playing two episodes each Sunday evening a few years ago. Unfortunately it seemed like they just replayed the same dozen or so episodes over and over.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are we going to discuss the new Dracula show here or someplace else? 

Haven't watched it yet, but Dracula looks a lot like Martin Kemp, so hopefully this version is heavily inspired by Embrace of the Vampire.

22 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Is the Pluto TV app available where you live?

If so there are MST3K and Rifftrax channels that run on there.

16 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Is the Pluto TV app available where you live?

If so there are MST3K and Rifftrax channels that run on there.

I could see if it's available. I hope so, now that I know those shows are on there.

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dayum, Ricky Gervais. Tell them what you really think. 

In other news, Succession’s Emmy campaign begins now. 

Dude is straight up trying to get fired during the broadcast and it's absolutely glorious.

• Like 2

There's a doc about game shows on Reelz right now titled Alex Trebek's Game Changers. They just showed footage of him from his old show The Wizard of Odds and I lost it. 

hqdefault.jpg

That look's as '70s as a pair of platforms

Wow, Wink Martindale looks like he hasn't aged at all. Might as well be a mosquito in amber.

This is a really cool show. They said that Merv Griffin wrote the "Think" theme for Jeopardy in a minute and 30 seconds. His estate gets paid every time it gets aired. His son was on and started singing it then stopped and said "if I sing two more bars we get paid". 

Edited by Curt McGirt

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What's he been saying? 

He basically eviscerates nearly everyone, drops at least 2 or 3 "fucks," calls James Corden a "fat pussy," makes a remark about Judy Dench's "pussy," says this whole exercise is pointless, tells everyone to fuck off and it's his last time doing this so he doesn't care, etc.

It's glorious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

A dominatrix and a minister... I wonder if she'll marry you dressed in her latex gear if you ask nicely.

I certainly hope so. Would it be wrong to buy her services to dominate the bride and groom on their honeymoon?