Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Dolfan in NYC

Hell in a Cell XI - 10/6/2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I like Becky and all but she makes things boring by constantly clearing out the top contenders in the division. 

Sasha comes back to major heat and fanfare only to be killed dead decisively in two straight title matches?  

Whose the next challenger?  Ruby Riott? Ember Moon? Natalya? Fuck that division.

Sasha needed that win a lot more than Becky did, but I figured that the point of the angle where the front office punished Sasha for holding out had to start sometime.

Natalya and/or Naomi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steve said:

I felt like I knew Becky was winning as soon as Sasha came out. She looked super disinterested in doing her mannerisms.

But then the match was so good, I second-guessed even bringing it up.

I guess I've triple-guessed now.

Anyway, that match was really good, probably my favorite of either of theirs in a really long time.

As bummed as I am about the finish, it was probably the best match on the card.  Becky's mannerisms remind me of an actual MMA or Boxing champion coming to the ring and I love that about her.  She is in total no bullshit mode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bad:

  • Sasha lost her 2nd straight PPV clean as a whistle after coming back hot. 
  • Bryan didn't turn on Roman after the win. I guess all the fans are meant to forget the last years heeling? What happened to that heel Bryan face Miz program they were building to?
  • Turning Strowman heel is a bad idea, I mean he's already dead in the water, but a guy of his size could easily be resurrected. I doubt anything will come from the Fury thing. Fury's getting paid millions and millions in his boxing contract, he'd be stupid to risk his knuckles on Strowman's face getting paid peanuts comparatively. 
  • Gable short jokes, and even worse the scripted responses from Gable. 
  • Graves adding to those short jokes and even worse, his humble bragging about sleeping with Carmella every opportunity he gets. I legit hate Graves more than Michael Cole, I'm still in shock that could happen.
  • Gable not winning by ankle lock, clean as a whistle screaming in agony at the top of his lungs furious tap out from Corbin. That's how babyfaces are meant to beat heels. Not by ref assisted distraction roll up.
  • Gable is a wrestling machine and should be a mega star by now. Compare Angle's meteoric rise in '99 to Gable's last few years. Angle won everything that first year.
  • Newly heel turned Bayley lost. As of yet we've not had any really good promos or angles to let her new heel persona shine through. You can tell from little things she actually has control over in her matches that there is potential there, if we ever get to see it.
  • Bray/Seth - BAHAHAHAHA!
  • The red lighting.
  • The protected curbstomp being ruined, now whoever loses to just one of those is buried.
  • The gimmick of the cell is dead.
  • That mallet.
  • Seth being a whiny cowardly uncool little creep. He's legit 6'2, 220lbs, but still looks to me like someone who wets the bed.
  • The DQ finish in a no DQ match.
  • Seth and the referee's "acting."
  • The fake blood that was more pink than burgundy.
  • Bray is also now ruined, because they booked him so strongly it will never make sense for him to lose, to seemingly anything, let alone one single finisher. Of course he will be back to his losing ways again soon, regardless of logic.
  • Not a single WWE wrestler having this phrase in their lexicon - "That's not gonna work for me brother." Surely some of these people have fuck you money? Or at least pride in their career, being a mark for yourself isn't always a bad thing. Rusev, Kanellis, Gable, Kofi, Bray, Becky, Seth all should have uttered that phrase just in the past week.

The Good:

  • Kabuki Warriors showing some heel tendencies.
  • I haven't seen Asuka for a while, she looks good, like maybe she lost weight, not that she needed to, but she looks better than ever. Such a waste what they didn't do with her.
  • Gable and Corbin do have good chemistry.
  • AEW chants.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Custos said:

Having watched the impressive 1-2 punch of the fantastic women's HIAC and the non-stop action packed Tornado Tag I was all ready to bring the positivity and give the Vince devil puppet his due. But alas the arena turned red and the booking turned to shit.

Imagine being in Becky's shoes right now. Kills it and kills herself in the brutal curtain jerking match, and it is but a faint, fond memory by the time her fiance has thoroughly shit the bed to the point where the fans are vocally demanding their money back. And it's not even (mostly) his fault.

@The Natural  Timmy Mallet was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comically proportioned monstrosity of a mallet, probably the same for most Brits our age. 

Sean Waltman, bless him, honest to a fault. Oh well, at least when HHH takes over he should be a lifer, even if we don't see him on Watch Along for a little while. 

Cheers, @Custos. Agree with all you say.

Bonus:

 

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dm_LJcHFk-Z7TITM?format=jpg&name=small

d05ce2dcb73b4f61-600x338.jpg

The reactions say it all, especially Sean Waltman's. Respect Sean calling it out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is Waltman telling people the way it really is and all the other WWE employees are doing their Marshawn Lynch "I am just not trying to get fined" stance.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's a way through this which involves tormenting the ref for his decision (be it with a Steph berating or the Funhouse) and a no DQ rematch that Bray wins (be it with the help of a new Sister Abagail or what), but it's probably unlikely WWE thinks anything needs to be fixed in the first place. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think there's a way through this which involves tormenting the ref for his decision (be it with a Steph berating or the Funhouse) and a no DQ rematch that Bray wins (be it with the help of a new Sister Abagail or what), but it's probably unlikely WWE thinks anything needs to be fixed in the first place. 

If they want to go full Russo they can use Heyman in that spot. Storms the ring pissed to start the show, basically says “I run Mondays not Sundays” and uses the guise of “you can’t have a no DQ in a HIAC” and “this wouldn’t happen on my show” to slam/apologize for the booking while retaining a semblance of kayfabe. Starts a new match right then and there. 

It sucks and might still not work but Heyman’s probably one of the few guys the crowd wouldn’t turn on in that spot. Steph would get massacred. 

I also don’t think this strategy would work in a town like Philly or Chicago. Might work out west. 

Edited by For Great Justice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think there's a way through this which involves tormenting the ref for his decision (be it with a Steph berating or the Funhouse) and a no DQ rematch that Bray wins (be it with the help of a new Sister Abagail or what), but it's probably unlikely WWE thinks anything needs to be fixed in the first place. 

Watch them over deliver by putting the belt on Bray on free TV.

Edit: Jinx

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting the decision on the ref is pretty much the only way out of this storyline-wise. If you trust him to cut a promo, have him come out, say he got too personally invested in Seth's soul or whatever and overstepped his bounds. If not, farm it out to one of the authority figures. Fine him, fire him, assign him exclusively to Mojo Rawley matches for the next year.

Even then, though, Seth is going to get booed out of the building for at least the next month. The SECOND that crowd thought he was going to win with 19 stomps, they started jeering. Not a vocal minority - the entire crowd. He's in Reigns territory now, without the natural charisma that Reigns at least had to ride the storm. I have no idea what you do with him now, other than turn him and make him Wyatt's new lackey. I buy Rollins way more as Flock Kidman than Shawn Michaels anyway. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with whoever said not to break up Alexa and Nikki, but I’m not sure what you do next with them. Maybe feud w the Iiconics over #1 contendership? The Kauki Warriors beat up some makeshift team next month and circle back to BlissCross?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

The Bad:

  • Sasha lost her 2nd straight PPV clean as a whistle after coming back hot. 
  • Bryan didn't turn on Roman after the win. I guess all the fans are meant to forget the last years heeling? What happened to that heel Bryan face Miz program they were building to?
  • Turning Strowman heel is a bad idea, I mean he's already dead in the water, but a guy of his size could easily be resurrected. I doubt anything will come from the Fury thing. Fury's getting paid millions and millions in his boxing contract, he'd be stupid to risk his knuckles on Strowman's face getting paid peanuts comparatively. 
  • Gable short jokes, and even worse the scripted responses from Gable. 
  • Graves adding to those short jokes and even worse, his humble bragging about sleeping with Carmella every opportunity he gets. I legit hate Graves more than Michael Cole, I'm still in shock that could happen.
  • Gable not winning by ankle lock, clean as a whistle screaming in agony at the top of his lungs furious tap out from Corbin. That's how babyfaces are meant to beat heels. Not by ref assisted distraction roll up.
  • Gable is a wrestling machine and should be a mega star by now. Compare Angle's meteoric rise in '99 to Gable's last few years. Angle won everything that first year.
  • Newly heel turned Bayley lost. As of yet we've not had any really good promos or angles to let her new heel persona shine through. You can tell from little things she actually has control over in her matches that there is potential there, if we ever get to see it.
  • Bray/Seth - BAHAHAHAHA!
  • The red lighting.
  • The protected curbstomp being ruined, now whoever loses to just one of those is buried.
  • The gimmick of the cell is dead.
  • That mallet.
  • Seth being a whiny cowardly uncool little creep. He's legit 6'2, 220lbs, but still looks to me like someone who wets the bed.
  • The DQ finish in a no DQ match.
  • Seth and the referee's "acting."
  • The fake blood that was more pink than burgundy.
  • Bray is also now ruined, because they booked him so strongly it will never make sense for him to lose, to seemingly anything, let alone one single finisher. Of course he will be back to his losing ways again soon, regardless of logic.
  • Not a single WWE wrestler having this phrase in their lexicon - "That's not gonna work for me brother." Surely some of these people have fuck you money? Or at least pride in their career, being a mark for yourself isn't always a bad thing. Rusev, Kanellis, Gable, Kofi, Bray, Becky, Seth all should have uttered that phrase just in the past week.

The Good:

  • Kabuki Warriors showing some heel tendencies.
  • I haven't seen Asuka for a while, she looks good, like maybe she lost weight, not that she needed to, but she looks better than ever. Such a waste what they didn't do with her.
  • Gable and Corbin do have good chemistry.
  • AEW chants.

 

 

 

I think at the end of the day that’s the root of my issue w Rollins. As a man of some size, speed, and martial arts training, I would 100% take Rollins up on an offer to “step outside.” And that’s not me playing Internet tough guy. That’s me having a lightly advanced sense of risk assessment and situational awareness from Krav Maga and intermediate striking effectiveness gauged by a handful of amateur Muay Thai matches. There is nothing about Rollins that screams “toughest guy on the show.” Ambrose has that. Reigns has that at times. Strowma nm is dripping with that. But let’s keep the belt on the guy that couldn’t whip cream with an outboard motor....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Putting the decision on the ref is pretty much the only way out of this storyline-wise. If you trust him to cut a promo, have him come out, say he got too personally invested in Seth's soul or whatever and overstepped his bounds. If not, farm it out to one of the authority figures. Fine him, fire him, assign him exclusively to Mojo Rawley matches for the next year.

Even then, though, Seth is going to get booed out of the building for at least the next month. The SECOND that crowd thought he was going to win with 19 stomps, they started jeering. Not a vocal minority - the entire crowd. He's in Reigns territory now, without the natural charisma that Reigns at least had to ride the storm. I have no idea what you do with him now, other than turn him and make him Wyatt's new lackey. I buy Rollins way more as Flock Kidman than Shawn Michaels anyway. 

Storyline-wise yes but execution wise I’m skeptical that “blame the ref” gets them out of this. Maybe it does in a casual fan town, but I’m just picturing boos, chants of “not your fault”, “fuck you Vince” and “booking sucks”. They want blood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, just drew said:

I think at the end of the day that’s the root of my issue w Rollins. As a man of some size, speed, and martial arts training, I would 100% take Rollins up on an offer to “step outside.” And that’s not me playing Internet tough guy. That’s me having a lightly advanced sense of risk assessment and situational awareness from Krav Maga and intermediate striking effectiveness gauged by a handful of amateur Muay Thai matches. There is nothing about Rollins that screams “toughest guy on the show.” Ambrose has that. Reigns has that at times. Strowma nm is dripping with that. But let’s keep the belt on the guy that couldn’t whip cream with an outboard motor....

I didn't want to go to that hypothetical fight thing, but I do agree, he, like the Miz, just doesn't appear tough. That's why Miz is an awesome chickenshit heel, or as he is now, a underdog MIDCARD babyface.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious for the people that were live could they actually see anything in the match to begin with besides watching on the video walls.  I mean it must have sucked to have the red cell with red lighting in the upper deck section

Of course the #cancellWWEnetwork hashtag is back.  The funny thing is that if it wasn't for the network you would have to pay $40 - $60 to see that shit.  That is why the people live are pissed.  Easy to blow this off when you are paying $10 a month and most of the stuff except for the RAW and Smackdown related things is so great.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, just drew said:

I think at the end of the day that’s the root of my issue w Rollins. As a man of some size, speed, and martial arts training, I would 100% take Rollins up on an offer to “step outside.” And that’s not me playing Internet tough guy. That’s me having a lightly advanced sense of risk assessment and situational awareness from Krav Maga and intermediate striking effectiveness gauged by a handful of amateur Muay Thai matches. There is nothing about Rollins that screams “toughest guy on the show.” Ambrose has that. Reigns has that at times. Strowma nm is dripping with that. But let’s keep the belt on the guy that couldn’t whip cream with an outboard motor....

I live for these comments

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the lack of Seth tweeting back everyone shitting on the show, it's safe to assume Becky took his phone away, right?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I live for these comments

Why? I’m not trying to make myself look tough. I don’t even believe with any degree of certainty that I’d come out the winner in that scenario. I’m saying I wouldn’t hesitate to find out. CrossFit isn’t a martial art. 

 

Wait...burning beard? “Burn it down!!” Beard.

 

it’s you. You’re Seth Rollins.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think the reason they probably put that match under red lights was because maybe Vince thought Bray didn’t look scare enough(or maybe still too chunky)? I’m trying think why Vince thought that looked good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You think the reason they probably put that match under red lights was because maybe Vince thought Bray didn’t look scare enough(or maybe still too chunky)? I’m trying think why Vince thought that looked good.

I don't get how weight is a factor for how scary someone is.  I mean John Wayne Gacy was a fat fuck and scared the shit out of a ton of people.  Bray is a pretty terrifying guy even in his Firefly gimmick.   If people weren't scared of the Fiend it was more because Rollins is a horrible actor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be the one to burst the "Fuck Vince!" crowd, but last night was WELL within Heyman's wheelhouse to have done this and thought it was a good idea, or let Bray pitch it and sign off on it.  Heyman doesn't bat 1.000.  Not blaming him, but saying that it might not have been 100% on Vince if he's really letting others book.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I really wanted to like the show.

Becky and Sasha put on a fantastic match that should’ve been the main event. Super creative with the weapon spots. Just an excellent match, a MOTYC. Yeah, it would be cool if Sasha won, but I get Becky going over, and Sasha can look at the ceiling and cut a promo and be fine.

And then Rowan / Harper and Bryan / Reigns brawled forever with Rowan and Harper taking like 90% of it. Just fantastic stuff with no lulls and no breaks. Rowan feels like one of the best reclamation projects in years and is definitely in the Most Improved list. Wonder if Reigns really hurt his knee. Another MOTYC. Not worried about the angle, because really, that shit never made sense anyway. 

Ali v. Randy was fine, and then Kairi and Asuka acting super heelish against Bliss and Nikki was super cool. Love heelish Asuka, and she and Nikki had my favorite Asuka match in NXT. Kairi’s pirate march into a Roddy Piper eye poke was hilarious. Happy that they won by cheating! I’m always down for poison mist! But yeah, don’t break up Alexa and Nikki. 

Didn’t care much for the OC and Viking Mountain experience — but I guess a Braun v. AJ match will be fun down the road. 

Gable is great. I want more legit sports Gable. 

Charlotte v . Bayley was what I expected. Could’ve been worse. Curious what they do with Sasha and Bayley now. 

And yeah, what a clusterfuck of a main. Just have the Fiend win. It’s not complicated.

and I feel like they have an out to defeating the unbeatable Fiend — rip off the mask, he reverts to normal Bray and he’s beatable. Just don’t have that happen until Wrestlemania at the earliest. 

Also, is it possible that Seth Rollins is the absolute worst wrestler on the roster? It sure seems like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...