DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It really just depends on what their path to profitability is, if anything. Losing money the first year or two or even longer is expected when starting a big business but there has to be a plan to not lose money and I don't see what that path is for either XFL or USFL. I mean I know the *how* (big money TV contract) but I don't know if there is any inkling that will happen.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

So the XFL ended up losing around $60 million according to Sports Illustrated.   It's bad but I am not sure if it is as bad as the original XFL version.   

Reportedly NBC and WWF each lost $35 million on the original league. So this one lost less (adjusted for inflation just over half as much, in fact)

But, then, that was an all-time disaster so this ain't good.

The European League of Football is back again.  It has expanded again with 6 new faces, although the Istanbul Rams did not return from the 2022 season.

The Milano Seamen are one of the expansion teams and they play in a velodrome!

CFL week 1 is in the books. Bombers looked really good, hopefully they can stop with the fumbles. Feel bad for the Elks getting stuffed three times from the one yard like to lose to Saskabush. 

The National Arena League has folded the Albany Empire.  

Owner Antonio Brown had been fined multiple times for conduct detrimental to the league.  He never paid the fines, so the team's league membership has been revoked.

The National Arena League has folded the Albany Empire.  

Owner Antonio Brown had been fined multiple times for conduct detrimental to the league.  He never paid the fines, so the team's league membership has been revoked.

Amazing that he ever paid anything in the first place.

Unreal with how this guy has burned every bit of goodwill he ever built up in his NFL career.

Amazing that he ever paid anything in the first place.

Unreal with how this guy has burned every bit of goodwill he ever built up in his NFL career.

I'm more amazed that theoretically-reputable sports leagues thought the dude who stripped down and went peace-out on his team literally DURING a game might be stable enough to run one of their franchises.

• Like 2

I'm more amazed that theoretically-reputable sports leagues thought the dude who stripped down and went peace-out on his team literally DURING a game might be stable enough to run one of their franchises.

It goes to show how much of an outlaw mud show a lot of these indoor leagues really are.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Arena Football League is officially back in 2024. Teams located in the following cities:

• Austin, TX
  • Bakersfield, CA
  • Boise, ID
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Denver, CO
  • Everett, WA
  • Lake Charles, LA
  • Nashville, TN
  • Odessa, TX
  • Orlando, FL
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Salem, OR
  • San Antonio, TX
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Tallahassee, FL

Texas gets three teams and there are a couple of teams in weird spots, but it's officially back starting in April of 2024.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 10:33 PM, Gonzo said:

Yes, the Arena Football League is officially back in 2024. Teams located in the following cities:

• Austin, TX
  • Bakersfield, CA
  • Boise, ID
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Denver, CO
  • Everett, WA
  • Lake Charles, LA
  • Nashville, TN
  • Odessa, TX
  • Orlando, FL
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Salem, OR
  • San Antonio, TX
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Tallahassee, FL

Texas gets three teams and there are a couple of teams in weird spots, but it's officially back starting in April of 2024.

Um.  About this...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 8:34 AM, cubbymark said:

It's a minor miracle Chris Jones is still employed at Edmonton.

It's the CFL's insane operations cap that limits how much money you can have on the books for coaches and staff. Literally the Elks can't fire Chris Jones, a very good and sane policy.