DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

I would've been one of the callers on The 5th Quarter losing their minds at that debacle but after the news broke about the passing of RJ I just didn't care.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's probably for the best.

I'm not sure if the market will truly support a spring football league, but I really feel confident it won't support two. And there's a decent chance they both fail before there's a winner.

• Like 1

looking at a list of current franchises in the two leagues

USFL: Michigan, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh in the North. Birmingham, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans in the South.

XFL: DC, Seattle, St. Louis and Las Vegas in the North. Arlington, Houston, Orlando, San Antonio in the South.

So there's only one city with teams in both leagues (Houston). So if all the teams stay in business, one of the Houston teams moves.

Idea 1: all 16 teams still exist and Houston goes somewhere else with an available field

Idea 2: Just realign the 16 teams to make some sense of things.

West Division- Arlington, Houston, Las Vegas, Memphis, New Orleans, St. Louis, San Antonio, Seattle

East Division- Birmingham, DC, Michigan, New Jersey, Orlando, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, wherever you move the other Houston team

If you're doing 4-4-4-4 then Arlington/Houston/San Antonio/New Orleans. Vegas/Memphis/St. Louis/Seattle. DC/New Jersey/Philly/Pittsburgh. Birmingham/Michigan/Orlando/new team

Or you just fold half of one of the leagues and have a 12 team league. I don't know which teams are the most broke. Over half of the USFL teams don't play in their home cities anyways (New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Houston, New Orleans) so there's some easy cuts if nobody can get a field. The Vegas XFL team doesn't have a stadium

I'm guessing that there still isn't an available spring field in Chicago or else there'd be a team there already. Minneapolis at the Gophers field would be an idea. Atlanta would be good if there was a field. Places with MLS teams wanting to fill out dates on the calendar like Cincinnati, Miami's MLS team if they need more money with Messi around, Nashville

Hell, the Oakland Coliseum would probably let a spring team play games during the A's season next year.

Sun Devil Stadium in Phoenix would be another good venue for Spring football until the first heat stroke happens. San Diego in the SDSU Stadium would be a good site too.

Having the best teams in the USFL and XFL play for Spring Football Supremacy would be amazing to the people who love all football so much that they want to see who reigns supreme in the spring.

I can't find the source at the moment but I saw something yesterday that said The Rock said he talked to Colin Kaepernick about playing in the XFL but he doesn't think Kaep will take him up on the offer

• 3 weeks later...

I guess High School can go in here.  

Rayce Heitman from Williamsburg, Iowa scored 4 times in a game a couple of weeks ago.   He had two punt returns for TD's and two pick 6's.  

Oh, and he did all that in the first quarter.  

OH.  And he did all that before his team's offense even took the field! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5VIEKYi1qc

His team ended up winning 67-6.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not just an upset in the East finals, but a stomping. Montreal moves on to the Grey Cup. This was the Argos title to lose and they're not even going to be able to defend it.

The Alouettes are on a roll and I don't think will just be a pushover to whoever wins the West.

And the Blue Bombers become the first team since 77-82 Edmonton to make 4 Grey Cup Finals in a row.

It looked like the Bombers were going to run away with it, especially with Brady Oliveira rushing for 100 yards in the half. But they kept having drives stall out before getting into the end zone, Castillo missed two field goals, and the Ti-Cats hit a deflection Hail Mary at the end of the 2nd to make the game much closer than it should have been.

I'm confident that they're gonna win the Cup, but they need to close out drives or Montreal will steal it.

• Like 1