DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

This is semi-bump to older talk about Burning vs Kensuke Office. Decided to re-watch bits of it and then wandered off to two extra tag matches in NOAH from 2005. Obviously I'm talking about Kensuke/Nakajima team here. And well Nakajima there is, if I'm not mistaken, 18 years old. Is it just me or was he more charismatic back then than what he turned into? For example, I'm now watching his match with Kenta and I find him more bland despite technically being better at wrestling.

20 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

There's an AJPW Classics show that ran a match from, I wanna say, 1975? Of Rusher vs Jumbo. It's awesome. Chris Coey reviewed it back in the days of Air Raid Crash reviews if anyone still remembers that. He didn't give it any stars but he didn't sh*t all over it either. 

I was actually thinking about Rusher last night before I fell asleep.  By the end there, should he really still be "Rusher"?  More like Shuffler?  "Walker" is too obvious of a joke...although, Rusher Kimura, Texas Ranger sounds like a show I would watch.

11 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Honestly, I really do. He's The Wrestler. He wants to wrestle. I won't have access to his medical records and if he gets cleared... I mean... what do I know? He's someone representing something New Japan hasn't been able to replace, and I've missed. Maybe this will all end tragically, but I think the Misawa comparisons everyone will make are erroneous. Misawa was told by doctors to stop, but didn't, and since he ran the company no one could make him. Shibata presumably will have people to stop him from making that kind of mistake--if it's a mistake.

Well the thing is, Shibata doesn’t believe the doctors when they say he’ll never be cleared again. So he’s training for a comeback regardless of if he ever gets cleared.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Well the thing is, Shibata doesn’t believe the doctors when they say he’ll never be cleared again. So he’s training for a comeback regardless of if he ever gets cleared.

It would be ideal if he didn’t feel that compulsion, but I understand it, and don’t think he should be faulted for what may be a fruitless pursuit, assuming a) he isn’t bumping and b) he doesn’t actually wrestle unless he’s cleared. Maybe (probably) he never should be cleared and won’t be, but if he’s rolling with guys and kicking a heavy bag, that’s not a problem.

On the subject, if anyone wants a move-by-move breakdown of one of the best matches ever:

"Even though doctors have told Shibata that they believe he won't ever be cleared, those close to Shibata have told us (the Observer) that he's not accepting that and is determined and training for a comeback." To me, that sounds like, regardless of whether he's cleared or not, he's training for a comeback and he's determined to wrestle again one way or another. It doesn't sound like he's rolling on the mat with guys and kicking heavy bags, either. I don't know that you can train for a comeback and NOT take bumps. Especially if he gets his way and wrestles against doctors orders. Do you really think Shibata, of all people, will simplify his style to accommodate his previous (life threatening) injury? Because I don't.

Now, more than ever, I understand how retired wrestlers can't seemingly escape that feeling of "I feel fine, I want back in there" or "I can do just one more match". After the Daniel Bryan stuff, and watching both Nigel McGuinness documentaries, I really do get it. But those stories aren't Shibata's story, not even close.

9 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Rusher Kimura, Texas Ranger

? You really are cracking me up tonight.

...I bet he blades every episode!

As far as Shibata's concerned, YOU know and IIIIIII know that that stubborn bastard is gonna do absolutely anything he wants to do. He probably doesn't even care about getting paid for his matches. It's out of our hands. Whether you want to watch it or not is on you...

...whether I want to watch it?

*sigh*

Yeah. I'm pretty sure if New Japan won't let him, someone will. All Japan, Big Japan, NOAH, DDT, etc etc etc. Somebody is gonna be more than willing to let him in the ring in hopes of drawing ticket buyers.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

"Even though doctors have told Shibata that they believe he won't ever be cleared, those close to Shibata have told us (the Observer) that he's not accepting that and is determined and training for a comeback." To me, that sounds like, regardless of whether he's cleared or not, he's training for a comeback and he's determined to wrestle again one way or another. It doesn't sound like he's rolling on the mat with guys and kicking heavy bags, either. I don't know that you can train for a comeback and NOT take bumps. Especially if he gets his way and wrestles against doctors orders. Do you really think Shibata, of all people, will simplify his style to accommodate his previous (life threatening) injury? Because I don't.

I don’t either—but if he’s cleared, then we'll cross that bridge. If it’s true that he won’t be cleared and isn’t ever, yet he finds someone to book him... I’ll wait to condemn that until it happens. If it happens. Which... honestly I have no idea how that would be seen in Japan, whether there are athletic commission licensing issues, sponsor complaints, etc. I would like to think no company we’ve ever heard of would take that chance, and he’d be too proud to wrestle in bar basements. Maybe I’m wrong. 

Overall, if someone were to say I’m being naive or overly optimistic, I wouldn’t argue. Nor would I suggest he should have this determination to begin with. It would be best if he didn't want to wrestle ever again. But if he does want that, and I have no idea what his training is like or where this ends up, I can’t bring myself to condemn the notion yet.

In any case, I hope we get more reporting on the subject. What is his training like? Where is it taking place? If he's using New Japan facilities without clearance, shouldn't the company come under fire for that? Assuming he's still at the California dojo, couldn't Dave just... go report on this? Shouldn't he, or someone else?

Finally, I'd point out that Liger tweeted Shibata was training for a comeback eight months ago. Nothing came of that, so far as we know, and we haven't learned anything new now.

(Just to be as clear as possible, my expectations are that he will never be cleared and won't wrestle again. Again, could be naive.)

• Like 1

If he can't get cleared medically doesn't that kind of make a giant liability to work anywhere elese? I mean woulkdn't her be beter pff doing comedy matches with Small Antonio Inoki in West Japan Pro than try a comeback in some smaller than NJPW fed that would put him at risk?

James

I like mean guy faux shooters as much as the next guy but let's not pretend Murakami was a great wrestler. He was fine and the Makai Club while fun in hindsight in ways was a booking disaster. Kantaro Hoshino ruled tho. 

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Isn't that roughly in perpetuity?

tenor.gif

Though they have finally figured it out the past couple of years after so long. Which is crazy to think even during the Kobashi years that they never had a real idea what the plan was exactly, and not just the “Let’s do as much as we can with Kobashi until he can’t walk anymore featuring the Juniors”.

So long to a great venue.
"- After 46 years the "sacred place of the west", also known as Hakata Star Lanes, will be closed at the end of March. The internal piping and the walls are so obsolete that extensive renovation would be necessary so the building will be dismantled. On March 31st Big Japan and DDT will be the last promotions to run shows there. Both promotions had been using the building for years, Big Japan since their inception in 1995. "
PuroLove

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Ryan said:

So long to a great venue.
"- After 46 years the "sacred place of the west", also known as Hakata Star Lanes, will be closed at the end of March. The internal piping and the walls are so obsolete that extensive renovation would be necessary so the building will be dismantled. On March 31st Big Japan and DDT will be the last promotions to run shows there. Both promotions had been using the building for years, Big Japan since their inception in 1995. "
PuroLove

I just love that a BOWLING ALLEY became this sacred wrestling venue in Japan.

the atmosphere for UWF shows at Hakata Star Lanes is just off the charts, when Nakano is making his fire comeback against Masakatsu Funaki is one of the most genuinely engaged and electric audiences I've ever heard, and credit to them they are cool when he loses too. seemed like it would have been a tough room to get stuck near the back of though in a capacity crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

the atmosphere for UWF shows at Hakata Star Lanes is just off the charts, when Nakano is making his fire comeback against Masakatsu Funaki is one of the most genuinely engaged and electric audiences I've ever heard, and credit to them they are cool when he loses too. seemed like it would have been a tough room to get stuck near the back of though in a capacity crowd.

That is probably a top 10 match of all time for me and it's the crowd that puts it over the top. Hakata Star Lanes was never quite korakuen but it had a magic of its own in giving wrestlers extra energy to produce something special. 

I adore the roof being so low and uniquely shaped too. Such a neat look. 

I'm Murakami's only fan? ?

I always enjoyed him randomly popping up on random New Japan shows and punching guys in the mouth in the 7th or 8th match on the card.

He was also great in that feud with Yuki Ishikawa in Battlarts.

And searching for "Murakami vs. Ishikawa" on YouTube, I came across this...