DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

I always link to Alan4L's MOTY list for these kinds of things. He loves him some DG, but of the non DG/NJPW stuff, I really enjoyed Hino/Takagi from the Carnival, Nomura/Kamitani vs. The Aggression (!) from the July Power Hall show, and the Kodaka/Takeda June death match is something to be seen even if Takeda has tendencies that take me out of a match. I'm going to use the NJPW down time of Jan/Feb to broaden my horizons and watch some of the non NJPW stuff from that and the VOW eventual MOTY list. Hideki Suzuki vs. Nomura from BJW was really good too.

• Thanks 2

Hard to get too excited about Strong BJ as AJP tag champs, given that this is now their third reign. Only interesting if this, and the scheduled All Asia tag titles match, is a precursor to something—maybe, at the very least, a few BJ guys in the CC.  Okabayashi and Hama, if I had my druthers. Maybe this Nomura lad as well.

I sometimes forget that Zero1 is around, but I saw puro twitter freaking out over Sato/Sekimoto, and... yeah. It’s a really smart match; it’s got a couple really stupid headbutt spots. I get why people are reacting so (let’s be generous and say) diversely. On one hand it’s a simple heavyweight title match built around who can hit a German suplex first, with plenty of black trunks/hard men physicality. I see why people like that kind of thing—I like that kind of thing—especially in an era of increasingly choreographed and melodramatic main events (which I also like). And I’m not even surprised there are those who revel in the “he didn’t slap his leg!” of it all. 

I guess this is where I should say why it’s problematic and unnecessary, because it’s both. But it’s just not a fun conversation. Kai did it against Kento; Kenoh did it several times last year; it is what it is, I guess. And I watch Shibata/Okada probably once a month, and I think it’s essentially perfect, so I don’t have any high ground to claim. 

Anyway, I liked the match. People who like that kind of thing, etc. You can find it on the usual streaming site that ought not be named, if you want. 

For brevity’s sake, here’s Mutoh trying to operates his own twitter, as only the truly great can:

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

There's a Nishimura vs Dory Funk, Jr. match from Gurentai just two months ago, go find that and see if Dory can even move. My money's on maybe.

He wasn't walking real well at the NWA 70th Anniversary show.

I watched some six man from like a year ago with Dory in it and he did a few bumps for Akiyama. Got Akiyama a ton of heat and was fun in a "I'm cool with this as long as it only happens like once or twice a year" way. Fujiwara I actually think performs shockingly well for a guy his age. Fuchi is great and has always been a freak when it comes to stamina and adaptability. Only time I've really been uncomfortable watching a guy try to move at an advanced age was Rusher Kimura in those final NOAH years.

There's an AJPW Classics show that ran a match from, I wanna say, 1975? Of Rusher vs Jumbo. It's awesome. Chris Coey reviewed it back in the days of Air Raid Crash reviews if anyone still remembers that. He didn't give it any stars but he didn't sh*t all over it either. 

Edit: Here, I found it online: 

• Like 3

Honestly, I really do. He's The Wrestler. He wants to wrestle. I won't have access to his medical records and if he gets cleared... I mean... what do I know? He's someone representing something New Japan hasn't been able to replace, and I've missed. Maybe this will all end tragically, but I think the Misawa comparisons everyone will make are erroneous. Misawa was told by doctors to stop, but didn't, and since he ran the company no one could make him. Shibata presumably will have people to stop him from making that kind of mistake--if it's a mistake.

• Like 1